Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • IF YOU ARE SEEING AN EMPTY SECTION, IT IS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT MEET THE REQUIRED CLASSIFIEDS CRITERIA. Please contact a staff member to learn more.
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
:love:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I was thinking of putting in a bid when they listed it already but clearly there is no shortage of people who think it’s worth more than I do.

That doesn’t make me right, by the way.

This speaks to what I’ve been saying for a while: nice examples of the ‘97 and ‘98 916SPS, 2001 996R, and 2002 998R should be $50k to $75k bikes.

Reactions: PeterS and Zemurray

·
Matt
742 Posts
It's a great bike. Not pristine, but all of the original parts are there and the bike is still in the hands of the original owner. I'd estimate that there are only about 10 SPA's currently in the US that are intact (along with some a few that have significant damage history). The majority of them couldn't find buyers in 1996 and were sent back out of the US, most of which were imported new into the UK by H.T. Automotive.

Reactions: Zemurray

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was thinking of putting in a bid when they listed it already but clearly there is no shortage of people who think it’s worth more than I do.

That doesn’t make me right, by the way.

This speaks to what I’ve been saying for a while: nice examples of the ‘97 and ‘98 916SPS, 2001 996R, and 2002 998R should be $50k to $75k bikes.
I wish I'd even known about the 998R back in 2002. That IS the bike that I lust after the most, followed very closely by the Desmosedici.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I wish I'd even known about the 998R back in 2002. That IS the bike that I lust after the most, followed very closely by the Desmosedici.
I did have a chance to buy one in 2002. My local dealer had one and it was $31k, which might as well have been a million dollars. To put it in perspective, it cost more than twice what I paid for my new 2002 998 monoposto which I could barely afford at the time.

It was like being at the Ferrari dealer to buy a 328 GTB and seeing an F40 in the showroom. I knew about it and had the chance to buy it and take it home. I just didn’t have the ability to buy it and take it home.

Reactions: SwiftFF5

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
630 Posts
It was like being at the Ferrari dealer to buy a 328 GTB and seeing an F40 in the showroom. I knew about it and had the chance to buy it and take it home. I just didn’t have the ability to buy it and take it home.
”Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Theodore Roosevelt.

Never a truer word said, methinks. Whether you’re buying s used ‘04 Monster or a new V4R just enjoy it, there’s always something better…and always something worse.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
”Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Theodore Roosevelt.

Never a truer word said, methinks. Whether you’re buying s used ‘04 Monster or a new V4R just enjoy it, there’s always something better…and always something worse.
Funny. I said that very thing in a talk I did last week.

In all honesty, at the time it was good to know that it existed because it was a good goal for me to have. I can also say that it didn’t bother me that much that I didn’t have a 998R. I knew that one day I would find a way to get there and in the meantime, a 998 was a really nice bike to have and get to know.

It’s also pretty good because i can really be grateful for all that I have. In 20 years, I’ve been able to string enough good things together to have every car and motorbike I’ve ever wanted. I think the 2002 me would be happy to know that. As I said, it’s a ton to be thankful for.

For those of you with a sense of humor:

Plant Car Property Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have owned just about every bike and car I ever wanted. Most of them I keep for 5-10 years and then get enticed by something new and sell them. Almost always I have bad sellers remorse afterwords. Plus, most of them have now skyrocketed in price. Like my 1987 black on black Porsche Turbo. Sold it for 29K several years ago, they now trade for $150 to $200k. Or my Porsche Speedster. Sold it years ago for not much money...they now trade for $300-$400k. Me thinks I need a MUCH bigger garage so I can just keep everything! Oh well...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sold for $60K ($63K with the buyer's premium)... I would have thought the market would be about $30K and high would have been $40K, but $60K is pretty crazy in my opinion. On top of this the bike was bought by Iconic Motorbike Auctions for one of their clients which means the ultiimate owner will pay more than $63K in the end. With the market for 9X6 bikes this hot, the undervalued bikes to buy right now are the 999R and 1098R.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Unsure on the 1098 series as they sold in the USA for significantly less than the 999 bikes.

otherwise I tend to agree even though there are some people with no taste who don’t like the xx9 looks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sold for $60K ($63K with the buyer's premium)... I would have thought the market would be about $30K and high would have been $40K, but $60K is pretty crazy in my opinion. On top of this the bike was bought by Iconic Motorbike Auctions for one of their clients which means the ultiimate owner will pay more than $63K in the end. With the market for 9X6 bikes this hot, the undervalued bikes to buy right now are the 999R and 1098R.
Would seem that the super clean 996/998R bikes would be 30-40, but you think with this early 916 and only 50ish examples in existence, wouldn’t command a premium on top? I’ve only been tracking the value of these for a little while, but i wasn’t really surprised. I figured 50k at least. And there was a commenter who has one with 0 miles wondering if he should sell!

·
Matt
742 Posts
I'm definitely not considering selling the zero mile SPA. Seeing an auction like the one yesterday close out at USD$60k is bittersweet. It's nice to know that the bikes you have are going up in value, but for the most part I do not buy bikes that I don't plan to keep for the long haul...so the bitter part of that auction is that future acquisition opportunities are going to be a lot more costly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts