Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
RandyYocam, I have been looking for a fuel level sender for my 97 900SS. In mine, the two wires to the fuel pump have ring connectors, not a plug like the pictured item. I assume I could just snip off the plug and put on some ring connectors to attach to the fuel pump, if all else fits? Is that what you did?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
RandyYocam, I have been looking for a fuel level sender for my 97 900SS. In mine, the two wires to the fuel pump have ring connectors, not a plug like the pictured item. I assume I could just snip off the plug and put on some ring connectors to attach to the fuel pump, if all else fits? Is that what you did?
I noticed that too. If swapping to ring connectors works then I'll just do that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
UPDATE* She runs! 😁

I installed a new fuel system with lines, fuel pump, and a $200 fuel level sensor from Ducati 😢 Once I thew some gas in the tank, I hit the starter button and it instantly fired up. Now. Here is my next challenge.

When I fired it up the first time the left side carb was spitting fuel out the overflow port in the front. To me, that tells me that the float is stuck. I tapped it with a hammer once or twice and will try again this morning.

Also, when the bike fired up it was idling very high which my first reaction was to adjust the idle screw. Backed it out one or two turns and didn't see much change. I then went to the barrel adjusters on the throttle and saw that they were threaded out almost 100%. After putting those back in, now it won't start (probably because the idle mix is off).

Does anyone have a baseline figure for the idle screw? I need a solid reference to work off of to dial it in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I noticed that too. If swapping to ring connectors works then I'll just do that.
This worked
Swapping to rings worked perfectly btw. I just had to test the pump with some jump leads to figure out which was the correct side for the positive and negative (no makings on this one).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Also, my tachometer doesn't work. Need to check the cable ends and make sure it is nice and tight. Could those cables use some lubrication occasionally?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Received my two main fairings yesterday. The paint on them is immaculate 😁 Rough placed them just to see how well the colors all match. The slide fairings are a touch lighter than the tank.

I think my plan will be to paint the front fairing (around the light) to match the side fairings. Since the tank has a visual separation with the frame, it shouldn't be too noticeable.

It's starting to look like something!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, exactly I cut that black connector off and soldered ring connectors to the new wires.Red on red, Black on black.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Update

Well, after struggling with some running issues I pulled the carbs off and rebuilt them. The bike now runs excellent! Starts right up and the motor sounds strong. Still wild to me that the bike is running strong after 13 years in storage.

I'll post a better video soon and the end result. All that is left for the build is cosmetic work (fairings, carbon restoration etc)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Took the bike around the block today just to confirm it runs, stops and shifts, which it does!

After the quick ride I did notice a small pool of oil near the vertical cylinder. My first assumption was the head but a closer inspection shows that the K&N breather that the PO installed is covered in oil and dripping down to the engine block. I would like to go back to the stock setup with the breather boxes under the seat. Is that the better way to go?

It should be noted that I filled the crank a bit over the max line by mistake.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have done this repair a couple of times. The frames will generally crack again if they don't get a bit of additional bracing. I Repaired the crack then added a half shell on the back side with a new gusset - all tig welded into position. I had cut the diagonal support tubes out and put some bigger ones in for added load distribution.

I make the half shells as long as possible, just terminating them at the start of the internal radius of the bend.

Clamped it onto the bike and did the bulk of the welding to the bracket in situe.

Was a pain to do but once it was garnet blasted came up pretty good. I left the old bearing cups in place until it had come back from the blasters. For the mounts for the tank I just used a 4mm nut and tacked in place all the way around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I have done this repair a couple of times. The frames will generally crack again if they don't get a bit of additional bracing. I Repaired the crack then added a half shell on the back side with a new gusset - all tig welded into position. I had cut the diagonal support tubes out and put some bigger ones in for added load distribution.
View attachment 989369

I make the half shells as long as possible, just terminating them at the start of the internal radius of the bend.

View attachment 989370

Clamped it onto the bike and did the bulk of the welding to the bracket in situe.
View attachment 989371

Was a pain to do but once it was garnet blasted came up pretty good. I left the old bearing cups in place until it had come back from the blasters. For the mounts for the tank I just used a 4mm nut and tacked in place all the way around.
Looks great!
Should be strong.

·
Registered
879 Posts
the K&N breather that the PO installed is covered in oil and dripping down to the engine block.
I have a K&N filter on the end of a 2 foot length of hose connected to the crankcase breather and have never had a drop of oil come out. Just attaching the filter to the end of the breather can be problematic. Any setup should ensure that no oil can end up on the rear tire. However, I wouldn't expect significant oil to be forced out of the breather so you may have a bigger issue with the crankcase getting pressurized. I would look into this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hello all,

The 900ss is almost finished! Just wrapping up some small details like the gauge cluster. I'll post some pics of it completed here and in the Supersport pics thread in the next day or so.

Here are some photos from the gauge restoration.

The finished product:

OEM foam and a new idiot light decal from a user on the ducati.uk forum. Looks brand new and only took a few hours!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts