Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i have a 1996 900ss track/daytime bike, lovely looking foggy rep and great fun to ride, but it has come with issues, i brought it last year unseen from a large motorbike shop and it wasn't quite as advertised, great condition but speedo not working, cutting out issues, all of which i have sorted, but i done my first track day last week and it used up most of my engine oil, i did think even using it for road use it was burning a lot of oil, could anyone give a reason why this might be happening, thanks

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
some of that era had soft oil rings. you can pull them apart and find both the ridges gone.

of course, a set of high comps is less than a set of rings. which you can only buy genuine as the top ring is a ***** type.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
The other option to consider is valve seals if the bike sat for a while. Did anyone witness smoking? and under what conditions?

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
How about some more info on the bike?
miles on the motor?
smoking on acceleration?
smoking on deceleration?
oil leaks at the cylinder head to cylinder or base gasket?

The oil has to be going somewhere so question 1 is is it leaking it or burning it?

rings
bad nikasil (cylinder)
valve guides worn

If it is just the guides you only see oil burning on decel and that means with track use it is every time you are engine braking from high rpm. My 750 was using almost a half a quart a day on the track when the guides were real bad. When my cylinders were worn it was more like a quart and a half.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
What he said +

1) crankcase ventilation must not be plugged and 2) if it is spewing a lot of oil during track usage, a catch can separator might help reduce it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts