Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been ask a million times but I have searched and cannot find it---I am looking for the correct paint color for the frame on a 1996 900SP. I am looking for powder and the main company I am look at is Prismatic Powders. If anyone has found the color that this is supposed to be or one that is very very close I could use the help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
All the literature I’ve read states that color is bronze. There are varying versions of bronze, some of which are more gold while others look more gray.

AFAIK only the ‘98 FE frame paint was actually called gold. Probably not a huge help but I hope that narrows down your search

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
i took my frame to get done and had written "shimmering champagne" on the work order, but when i got there and looked at their samples i changed my mind. i don't recall what to now, but it was wrong - it's too bronzy. dulux colours.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prismatic Powders has a color that looks close -they call it Roman Gold but they have so many colors that I think I am going to have to order swatches of the ones that are close to be able to again --just get really close

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prismatic can match the colour if you can give them a sample.
well we have been trying this --I spoke to the color match dept. & sent them a good picture, They replied with what she thought were the 5 closest --I have swatches of those 5 on the way to match up to the frame itself--with luck I'll be able to get really close. Close will be fine for this -I am installing a frame brace at the front & want it close to the correct color that way it looks like it belongs there.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a digital colorimeter called Color Muse that will examine colors and produce match numbers. Another is Nix. These cost $70-$100 and might be helpful for you. If you know someone that has a high end device like a Pantone color match sensor even better. You might be able to go to a body shop and see if they have a device to match colors for their paint supplier.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you spacey, I can get my local paint shop to use their photo color match machine & that would be great if I were going to use paint --but I am using powder & the colors for some stupid reason dont seem to cross over that well

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Are you trying to match 24 year old paint or find the correct color ? When I have removed things from the frame on my ‘ 96 SS the paint that was hidden doesn’t match the exposed paint, it’s slightly darker. I’ve tried 3 different paints that are supposed to be correct, all were darker. Obviously the paint Ducati used can fade. I gave up and painted the frame a different color.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to match the original color, as a reference I am using part of the frame that has never seen sunlight lol--so it is going to be slightly different then the faded paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts