Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Dammit Janet! .. it happened again! Another ~emergency room~ situation last tuesday (I think, I've lost track of the last several days ... head in a fog). Same issue. These fargin Docs gotta shit their git together on the way their dealing with my neck issue. Another entire week lost, and probably another several days before I can safely go out and work on the bike. What really sucks is that our weather has been perfect .. and here I'm stuck inside, dealing with this issue.

Blood pressure drops to dangerously low levels (near loss of consciousness), body temp drops to below 94 degrees. Freezing/shivering cold chills, severe nausea, super duper severe headache the likes of which I've never experienced (and I used to drink heavily, going back twenty+ years so I know what a "severe" headache is!!).

Well fek me runnin'!!!

:mad: (n) 🤮 🤒 🙄

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I hope they get you properly sorted out Rex. This is probably your prime riding weather, starting to cool down a bit where you are ?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I hope they get you properly sorted out Rex. This is probably your prime riding weather, starting to cool down a bit where you are ?
Thanks man.

Yuh ... 58f right now! Probably peak at around 94F or so today. PERRRRRFECT riding weather.

I feel like that kid who broke his leg on the first day of summer vacation. Everyone is outside, swimming, having a ball ... while the broke legger is inside looking out the window.

:giggle:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Ok .....

*** The Venom triple tree headlift stand arrived.

*** The vendor for those laser cut exhaust hangars choked. I waited a full month for them to be shipped from the UK. I wrote to them, asking what was up, they replied with an apology telling me the hangars must have become lost in overseas shipping and that they'd send another set that same day. Two weeks later I wrote again, asking about the arrival status, two days later they just refunded my purchase. I wrote to ask what was going on since they still had an ad going that said they had ten sets in stock. Turns out it's a very small operation (perhaps only one person), and she said she'd been overwhelmed with personal problems and "quite frankly no ambition to do any work". So I told her I'd check back in a few months, wished her the best, and told her I understood .... we're all human after all.

*** We're clearing out my 11' x 18' motorcycle workshop so we can move the bike in there. For several years I did all my motorcycle fiddle dicking in there, but during the time I was wrestling with the neck injury, new meds, the PTSD shit, bla bla bla my workshop got filled to the brim with a bunch of crap. Two more days and it will be ready to use as a shop again. That way I can work on the bike any time I like ... for instance, now (it's 12:58am ... about an hour after midnight). I have some kinda messed up sleep schedule .... always have ... always will.

*** Just about cleared out of this medical crap that's had me grounded for a few weeks. Hopefully things will be "serviceable" by the time we get the shop up to snuff.

*** Lastly, all I need to buy is the Shindengen voltage reg from "Jack" at Roadster Cycle. Other than that, there may be the odd little trinket needed here ~n~ there. I've got about $800 bucks worth of new parts and pieces sitting here ready to install (belts, slip ons, single front disc stuff, full floating rear brake stuff, lith/ion battery stuff, more .... )

Gotta jet ..... well, not really ... can't sleep ... ~stupid crap~ keeping me awake.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
YAY!!!!!!! :giggle: (y)

Got the shop cleared out, bike inside. Still have some work to do in there, but at least it's 75% done! At minimum the bike is now where my tools are. Lots of wheels. Lots of fork sets and frames. A few engines and fuel tanks. A seat or three. My brother and I will turn the Ducati around tomorrow so it faces the opposite direction, then we'll get it back on the stands and clean it up. Then back to work on the bike! I am happy!

My tools are nice and close by now. The second picture (the toolbox) is taken right on the opposite side of the wall where that ~project Ducati~ on the engine bench is sitting in the first picture, so just a few feet away. MUCH better. When the bike was out on the porch if I needed a tool it was about a one hundered foot round trip. I still need to clean off that frame/etc from the engine bench. I built that bench from heavy steel shelving, all MIG welded together. 2 foot by 6 foot ... 32 inches tall. Stout enough to set a Chevy big block on it with ease. The bench top is actually a stainless steel top from a pizza place that was remodeled. It was part of the dishwashing work top. It's got really nice angled edges all the way around it, about 2 inches tall. Works great as a "wet bench" for working on forks, engines, shocks, and anything thing else that will leak oil when disassembling it. No fluids can escape the worktop. It's also fairly thick stainless ... about 0.120" (1/8" thick). Neat work bench! So the roll away is directly behind the wet bench on the opposite side of the wall. Handy! The lathe, mill, MIG, TIG machines are in the same room as the roll away. Along with the two drill presses. I don't mind them being on the floor, I've used them like that for years. I just sit on a small stool.

I know the place looks like a grenade went off in there, but we'll get it fixed up just fine. At least I have a 24 hour "open for business" workshop again! Wahoo! It felt great to work on things in there tonight. I didn't come in until after 11:30 pm ... chances are I'll get back out there again tonight. So good. So happy.
:giggle:(y)

(wow, I just noticed how sad those saggy ass rear turn signals look .... must do something about that! ... probably remove the license plate holder/rear fender extension while I'm at it ... plenty of options for that out there so no big deal).

·
Registered
568 Posts
do what I did for the rear signal go to a Hardley dealership and buy some form a Buell you can get them in clear or smoked lenses you also have tp buy the nut for the threaded mounting stock
Image result for buell blinkers

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I go on eBay for some cheap little Chinese turn signals. There are tons of styles and even the non led type are really bright, under $10. I have integrated turn/ tail led units on a couple of bikes. They’re nice too. Your shop is looking good, by the way.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I go on eBay for some cheap little Chinese turn signals. There are tons of styles and even the non led type are really bright, under $10. I have integrated turn/ tail led units on a couple of bikes. They’re nice too.
10-4 !! That's what I've had in mind all along.

Your shop is looking good, by the way.
Thanks!! It's looking better with each day. I need to wire up some better lighting control and some heavy current circuits/outlets for powering things like angle grinders, drills, and so on. I prefer running powered tools on their own circuits, because if they're on the same circuits as shop lighting and an angle grinder pops the circuit breaker (for instance), you're now in a completely dark shop, and your eyes aren't adjusted to that darkness for up to 60 seconds. Good way to trip over something and get hurt!

But it's getting there .... (below) this is what it looked like a few years ago when I was building "pro street" hot rods out of 1980s cruisers ... lots more room, far less clutter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rex running out of room sucks -there never seems to be enough, and when you think you have plenty of room this happens lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I see you've gone ^up^ ... I have quite a bit of the same industrial racking you've used that's left over from my repair business (7,000 ft/sq). I have a number of 18 foot tall uprights and probably fifty horizontal runners, a lot like what you've got there. However since the ceiling in my little 11 foot by 65 foot shop is only about 8 or 9 feet tall I have to cut the uprights down to use them! That stuff makes great workbenches with overhead storage.

:giggle:

My little workshop is the result of enclosing our driveway that runs the entire length of our double-wide mobile home. That's why windows are seen inside the shop. But ... it's sufficient, and sure beats the hell out of working outside! Especially on days like today where we're getting beaten up by those coastal winds that are making the news (those fires).

Nice old Bridgeport yo have there! Did you buy it as surplus or otherwise used? I've no means to be able to move a floor mill inside my shop, so I have a pee-wee bench mill (2hp, 32 inch x-axis, 29 inch y-axis, 20 inch z-axis, 28 inch table ... it's an ZX45 clone ... but it gets the job done ... bought it new). It only weight 800 pounds too, so I just put together a steel bench for it and the lathe. The lathe only weighs about 650 pounds, so the table is well within it's capacity. I've got my bead blast cabinet out in the back porch, it's another leftover from my power equipment repair business. It was primarily used for torch and regulator repairs, we were a Victor, Harris, and Smith authorized repair center so we repaired about 50 pieces per week. That old blast cabinet is probably 50 years old ... but it's build like a manhole cover!!!

My little bike shop is just your typical "privateer racer shop" .... it's enough for me. For now! My wife wants a Harley trike sometime in the next few years. No idea where I'm going to stuff that bastard! We'll have to cut some new doors for it!!!!!

🙃 🙃 🙃

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Bridgeport is a 1958 J head, I purchased it and my Lathe from the same person--yes they weigh a bloody ton but I have a forklift so moving them is better then it could be

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Full on seizure Sunday night, right when my family and I were watching the Valencia MGP race recorded on the DVR. Blood pressure plummeted, core temp down to 94f degrees, uncontrollable and severe shivers, blinding/severe headache. Some of it lasted several hours, but most of it lasted all night long, and then all day yesterday into last night. VA Drs. can't figure it out other than a severe rejection of the new pain medication regimen. Since last January (at my insistence) the narcotic pain meds are being replaced with non-narco meds little steps at a time. A couple of months back it seems as though something is going terribly wrong. My wife is pretty spooked by it all, she was a nurse's aid at our local hospital for about 4 or 5 years, plus she went through the whole Stage 3A breast cancer trip years ago and was given a zero percent chance of survival ... so she's seen ~a lot~ of stuff.

I'm still really shaky ... very wobbly on my feet ... cold chills. Just got home from the land of the white coats (since Sunday night) earlier this morning. Everything tastes really bad, even my favorite foods. Lips are cold, nose is cold. Things smell bad. This is bullshit, it's really getting in my way of working on the bike.

Time for my soup.

·
Registered
427 Posts
well Hopefully the quacks can get this figured out for you soon mate --It sucks I understand better then most after spending 8 months in hospital

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm so jealous of these shops!!!! Maybe some day I can have 15 SqFt to call my own!!! Dude, your health sounds scary I really hope you get sorted mate. You said VA Dr...do you mean Veterans, sorry if that's a shit question. My mother worked as a civilian in an Army hospital in El Paso...she was in charge of the complaint department...I'm surprised she lived to 62 with that job. I don't have the conditions you do, but I've been on opiates to where I was scared I was gonna rupture my large intestine cuz I hadn't shit for days. I went back to Tequila and weed, and I was much better. Eating and shitting non stop! HAHAHA

Take care dude!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
well Hopefully the quacks can get this figured out for you soon mate --It sucks I understand better then most after spending 8 months in hospital
Thanks ... I can see that you'd understand how it is ... 8 months! ... damn man, that's rough.

Hang in there Rex!
Did they put you back on the old pain meds? Some times this whole "practicing medicine" thing gets old.
(pain meds) ... just a small increase (25%). In fact at my request they put me back on the same combination and amounts of everything I was on during this past summer when I was doing so well.

Late Sunday night my temp went from about 94 or so to a little over 103. Blistering headache, sweating heavily. Monday morning it was at a little over 100. My stable normal is around 97.5 and has been most of my life.

Yea ... "practicing medicine" .... you got that right! How about getting it right and stop with the practicing. You'd think with all of the practice they'd get it down. Well, you know what many say about gov't employees .... they are the "unhireables" among us, which is why they're working for the fed gov't in the first place!

Thanks for the concern, ducvet.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I'm so jealous of these shops!!!! Maybe some day I can have 15 SqFt to call my own!!! Dude, your health sounds scary I really hope you get sorted mate. You said VA Dr...do you mean Veterans, sorry if that's a shit question. My mother worked as a civilian in an Army hospital in El Paso...she was in charge of the complaint department...I'm surprised she lived to 62 with that job. I don't have the conditions you do, but I've been on opiates to where I was scared I was gonna rupture my large intestine cuz I hadn't shit for days. I went back to Tequila and weed, and I was much better. Eating and shitting non stop! HAHAHA

Take care dude!!!!
Yea, the Veteran's Administration. It's totally not a shit question ... not at all. Constipation; gotta up that fiber intake ... a lot. I've been taking 3x the suggested dose of Metamucile every day for a number of years, like you said the opiates stop you up big league. But once I worked out how to rebalance my G.I. function with diet, water (nearly 2 gallons per day), and supplemental fiber I'm all good.

Funny thing, I was on cannabis for years. Never got sick, not even a cold. But when I injured my neck (about 2007) canna just wasn't cutting it. I kept my docs fully informed, had the card, the whole works. But it just wasn't nearly even touching the severe nerve damage pain in my neck. Around 10 years ago they started me on 50mg of opiates per day (no weed, I've not used it since then). About two years ago I was able to reduce that down to 20mg per day all on my own. With all of the "bad talk" by these politicians about how people on opiates are bad news and these calls for going after docs and patients I had a long sincere talk with my Dr about seeing how far down we could get me ... perhaps even totally replacing the "big bad thing" with something non-narco completely. Target date was the end of 2019 to get me there. But with these problems arising repeatedly it may not work out that way. I may have to face the possible reality of being on a small amount each day for the rest of my life.

My Dr. really likes the idea of me getting back on the motorcycle since after I took the MST course this past summer I was in literally in zero pain during the entire two day course, and for 3 or 4 days after the two course was over. He insisted it was from the adrenaline ... which I can totally got on with since as many of us who've raced know when you crash during a race sometimes any pain is nearly invisible until the adrenaline wears off then you pain gets pretty loud. So the goal now is to get me to stabilize enough to get me on the bike so I can get a solid hit of adrenaline twice a week or more. Adrenanline plus the very small amount of opiate (only 1.25mg per day) plus the non-narco nerve pain Rx will do the trick. All the while keeping me on as little "medications" as absolutely possible.

Step one is to get me stabilized.

Gotta jet ... I'm still not really ~good~ just yet. Need to get out of this chair and off the computer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I want to see the doctor that has stopped practicing --I want the one that knows his shit by now--Hell would you want to take your motorcycle to a shop where they were just practicing???? HELL NO lol

161 - 180 of 181 Posts