Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL

28K views 264 replies 34 participants last post by  Rex Coil 7 
#1 ·
BIKE PURCHASE THREAD LINK = https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/722869-t-minus-5-hours-buying-96-900cr-today.html

PROLOGUE:

Ok, so I bought the bike, I've had some basic questions about a few basic things answered very graciously by the generous folks of this fantastic membership, and I've made enough decisions about how I am going to move forward with this project to begin building some momentum.

Let It Begin! :smile2:

DE-SHITTING THE STOCK CARBS:

The first thing that requires attention is what to do about the gummed up fuel system. The previous owner put the bike up in Winter of 2018 and forgot to drain the carbs and fuel tank prior to storing the bike. The carbs are gooped and non functional, the fuel tank is rust free, but it has some varnish near the bottom. The previous owner had filled the tank with gas a few weeks ago in hopes fresh fuel would help in diluting some of the poop in the bottom.

Initially I wanted to replace the 23 year old carbs with Keihin FCR41s (the $1400.00 kit which includes new Motion Pro throttle cables, a Motion Pro twist throttle assembly, a K&N air filter, and the bits and nibbles needed to mount the carbs). Rather, I've decided to have the stock carbs rebuilt. I'm using "Gordon" of Custom Carb Services for the carb rebuild. Gordon is one of our members here in Ducati.ms, and he came with very high recommendation by a number of forum members. I'll leave the fresh gasoline in the tank after I've removed it to allow for as much dilution of the crappy cruddy poopy goop at the bottom as possible. Pictures and hand drawn diagrams of the hose connections and routings will be done to assist with reassembly when the carbs are returned to me.

FIRST PURCHASE OF SOME NEW GOODIES MADE:

I've been reading a lot of threads about the 900 CR and various things other 900CR owners have done to improve their bikes, and taken note on things I wish to do. One of those things is replacing the stamped steel guide plates that the rear axle goes through which acts as a wheel alignment guide when adjusting the chain's tension or reinstalling the rear wheel. Apparently, that stock gold colored stamped steel "guide plate" is fonky, wonky, and stinky. It tends to rotate out of position when the axle nut is tightened to specified torque, scratching the piss out of the swingin' arm in the process. The preferred cure for this is to replace the stamped steel guide with a pair of machined aluminum guides made by Moto Techniques and they're called Chain Adjuster Plates.

So it seems those are somewhat difficult to come by these days. I got lucky as hell and located a pair of them on eBay, New Old Stock ("NOS"), and still in their original packaging. The seller had exactly one pair, and no more to be had. I paid $86.98 for the pair, shipped. See attached pics. Before I ordered them, I measured the swingin' arm to make certain these plates would fit. The listed dimensions are (quoting their eBay ad) "Measured about 1 15/16" (1.9375") between the internal sides and 11/16" (0.6875") hole diameter". My swingarm measured 1.925" +/- .. and the axle holes measured at 0.692" +/- ... well within required specs. I hit them with the Paypal number, and snagged them before they were gone!

:yeah: ... :yeah: ... :yeah:

Next to purchase will be clutch, fr brake, rr brake braided stainless steel ... Teflon lined ... plastic coated hydraulic lines ("Galfer"), and a pair of new cam timing belts ("Exact Fit"). I'll be posting pics of teardown and carb removal as I get to that. For now, we're starting with this initial entry into this project photo journal.

I expect this project thread to run well into the Fall of this year (2019) with several (many?) pages... so get comfortable, make some popcorn, poor a pint, and hang on for the ride!

Enough bla bla bla .... I'm hittin the ~SUBMIT NEW THREAD~ button!

L8R SK8RS !!!!

:smile2:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: jimmyjojo
#2 ·
GPR Deeptone Inox slip ons.

I just contacted the good folks at GPR (exhaust manufacturers). Surprisingly enough, they actually wrote back at this time of night! They're piecing together something for me that isn't listed in their on line catalog. I may know something by Monday re; one of their Deeptone Inox slip on kits. See pics.

I really like how the "link pipe" (the pipe between the stock headers and the muffler) is that it clears the pilot's boot heel pretty well. That "S" shape is the key.

:)

Attachments

#3 ·
More GPR Deeptones .. and .. Quarter Fairings.

... now that I'm looking for them, there are more of those GPR Deeptone Inox set ups than I first thought. Several configurations as well (high pipes, low pipes) ...

... I really like the fairings on the yellow bike and the orange bike. So the yellow one has both the fairing and stingers I am into.

... I figure if I use a fairing mount from the 1000 SS to attach to the actual fairing, and the fairing mount from the '96 900 CR to mount to the motorcycle's frame ... I can then weld the two fairing mounts to each other to create a fairing mount that adapts the 1000 SS style quarter fairing to the '96 900 CR bike frame. Easy peasy. Then it becomes a matter of working out what I want to do about headlight(s).

Things are beginning to take shape in my mind's eye. :nerd:

I've been playing with all of this long enough tonight ... time to hit the sack.

:)

Attachments

#6 ·
Rex coil 7, I learned a bit about tanks during my resto. Im not sure what you have in your tank, but I would look deep with a mirror and flashlight. If you are seeing any signs of discoloring or rust I would use Evaporust. I did a 4 day soak which mine really needed. My tank looked horrible and I removed a lot of rust pieces and sludge. I used 3 gallons and rotated the tank every few hours. You wont need to do this long of a soak to clean your tank up like new. The stuff is amazing and much easier on the metal finish than a full acid etch.

I know you don't need to just FYI...I would not use POR15 or Kreem after reading horror stories. I have been told by my mechanic that the epoxy coating can lift after 2 years causing worse problems with the entire fuel feed system and the carbs.

#7 ·
Re getting you carbs back on.
Gordon did a stellar job on mine too. Very impressed with all the "work in progress" photos he sent along and the final result I got back.
Found the bottom cable hook-up to require more hands/fingers then I could manage. So, I made up a quick "essential tool" to hold the throttle blades wide open - out of a coat hanger no less. This makes it much easier.
Also, hope you didn't remove the crankcase breaker hose from the air box. Easier to disconnect it back where the clamp is. It's a "free running press fit" and once off the reinstall will get you searching for more lubricants than are likely meal discussions..
Good luck and I'm following your progress.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thank you, Member *Finally Home .... good info there. I've not removed the carbs yet because it's been so frelling HOT here the last few days. We're under a severe weather warning until tomorrow, expected highs are to hit or exceed 115 degrees (perhaps as high as 120+), with lows in the upper 80s. It's almost 7:00am right now, and it's currently 84 degrees. Yuk.

Movin on ....

I contacted GPR, got the pipes thing squared away. I paid for the Deeptone Inox set and am expecting them inside of 10 days or so. I've heard how they sound on a couple/few videos .... shall I share? Sure, why not! Short little vids, about 1 minute long each. Man, the smartphone microphones sure pick up the clutch rattle! But the sound of the Deeptones is pretty cool.

I'm also deeply considering retrofitting the quarter fairing from the post 1997 "Pierre" SS. I may add an LED lightbar beneath the "chin" of the quarter fairing since the highways and roads out here can be dark as pitch, especially when there is no moon. Some further research on those ideas is required.

And the billet adjuster plates I bought are due in by this coming Thursday (day after tomorrow).

It feels as though things are moving at a snail's pace ... but that's just because I'm itching to get things rolling!!

Another thing that has my attention is how using a 120/70/17 front tire gives the bike that lovely early 1980s AMA Superbike look. Those old bikes used a 16 inch front wheel and an 18 inch rear wheel. That configuration was adopted by all 4 Jap bike makers, as well as Ducati and BMW. The idea was the smaller front wheel made the 500+ pound street bikes more nimble with better turn-in. All I know is I LOVE the look. Well, if you look at the thumbnail of the 750SS attached below you can see how the visual illusion makes it appear as though it has the 16 inch front and 18 inch rear. You don't even need to expand the thumbnail to a larger image to see the effect. Me likes! I attached a pic of one of the 80's machines for contrast. Well, actually two images. I couldn't resist the picture of Freddy Spencer at the 1985 Daytona (first year that Daytona was a 200 mile race). He's on the throttle and the rear end is just stepping out a little bit. Killer!

Uh ... and one more of a Moriwaki ... y'know ... just cuz. Another 16 inch front set up.

One last issue; since I allowed my bike license to lapse years ago, my wife and I will be signing up for the Arizona motorcycle safety class. I think the deal is if you pass the course your "M" addendum is issued without having to deal with the DMV hassles. I'll verify that and post an update.

Ok, boring entry this time. More to come soon!!

:smile2: ... Rex.

Attachments

#10 ·
One last issue; since I allowed my bike license to lapse years ago, my wife and I will be signing up for the Arizona motorcycle safety class. I think the deal is if you pass the course your "M" addendum is issued without having to deal with the DMV hassles. I'll verify that and post an update.
Im sort of hoping this means you have not driven a Ducati yet! You will love it when you are done.

#9 · (Edited)
Just a suggestion. If you haven't sent your carbs off yet you might want to pick up a Haynes manual and a set of rebuild kits off of ebay, mine were $44.00 for both. Its not hard to do a carb rebuild...really. Just watch some YT videos and grind some small flat heads to the exact sizes, if needed to remove parts.

-Take pics as you go
-Write down any size markings on needles, jets...etc.
-The rebuild kit will or should have the same #s.
-use carb cleaner on everything metal, not on plastic or rubber.

#11 ·
Just a suggestion. If you haven't sent your carbs off yet you might want to pick up a Haynes manual and a set of rebuild kits off of ebay, mine were $44.00 for both. Its not hard to do a carb rebuild...really. Just watch some YT videos and grind some small flat heads to the exact sizes, if needed to remove parts.
Thank you for the information and suggestion! I'll look into that.

#14 ·
... dang me .... I want to get to work on this bike! But it's been so frelling HOT.

It was 122 degrees today ... it's 11:14pm and it's still 97 degrees.

C'mon Muthuh Nature .... this hot spell is putting a kink in my moto project!

Arg! :|

#15 ·
Corbin Gunfighter seat for the 900SS/CR.

Sweet ..... $500 bucks, still sweet.

Calls out to the modified stock seats on the early 1980s AMA Superbikes. Often times the rear part of the seat behind the rider's "scoop" was actually a metal box that had seat upholstery covering it to make the lightweight aluminum box behind the rider appear as though it were part of the seat. The rules back then dictated that the tail light had to be operational. So instead of taxing the alternator to comply with that task they'd run the tail light from a 9 volt battery that was housed in the box behind the rider's rump. Clever.

Yea .... Corbin Gunfighter .... sweet.

Rear-most portion of the seat in black instead of red .... sweeter!

Now just mount a pair of AMA approved rhombus shaped white number plates on each side of the seat ... sweeter yet! Check #21 and #31.

Oh hells yea. Big huge thumbs up!

:smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

Attachments

#17 ·
FYI I have a customer who has a Karbacher seat/carbon solo tail he is going to be selling soon. I think he plans on posting in the classifieds soon so keep an eye out. It came off his early carby SS and I was tempted to buy the bike to get the seat unit!. Rare cool vintage part and it looks good in red with a carbon stripe IIRC.

Keep in mind most aftermarket seats are dished so they are often a improvement for setting in the center of the seat and not moving, poor if you try and get your but off the seat. For a tourer you might love them but if the bikes role is a weekend back road weapon or trackday bike I would rather stay oem.

#18 ·
Thanks Ducvet, Ill keep and eye out. He may have a quick sale here. I am getting ready to purchase mine now but haven't as of today. I would like to see an example of it if you still have a pic.

#20 ·
Finally Pulled The Carbs.

OK, I waited until the weather was half-assed livable to remove the carbs (it was "only" 110f today). I had to watch a few videos since the service manual is vague as hell about removing them. I will say that there are some real idiots out there making videos of "how to" issues on these air cooled Ducatis.

:laugh: "Have Berrymans, will fuddup my carbs in the driveway". :laugh:

In any case, once I worked out the order of disassembly things went ok. I feel I need to mention that THEM CARBS STANK! They're not the worst I've seen, I used to own/operate an authorized factory warranty and repair center for several brands of emergency power/portable/RV generators. At least fifty times per year we'd have someone come in with an RV that had a generator that was not running. Nearly to the one it was due to the owners not running their gens at least once per month under load for about an hour ... resulting in gunked carb trouble. Some of them were pretty awful.

These carbs are about up there with the top 20% of "the worst" I've seen. And did I mention that ....

THEY FLIPPIN STANK-ASS!?? :laugh:

*** Those rubber hold-down straps that secure the battery are also junk. So those need to be replaced as well.

*** The little machined swingarm plates came in as well. I'll get to installing them along the way here.

*** While the bike is opened up I'm going to replace as many of the hoses as I can (just cuz). And I may as well rewire the 12v systems while I'm at it. After I removed the BATT NEG first, when I went to remove the positive from the batt it became clear that terminal had overheated a few times. Under-gauged wiring is what I blame that on.

*** So, letting the carbs "dry out" a little bit (one day should do the trick), then they're off to my chosen carb refurbish service person. I reckon about two weeks, perhaps three, of total time turnaround.

*** Stored the seat in the house, away from our cats. Cats love to claw into motorcycle seats. They just love it.

*** The fuel tank is very full with fresh gas to help dilute/dissolve any remaining lacquer that may have formed in the tank while the previous owner stored the bike in his garage between November 2018 to the 1st week in June when I bought the bike. We'll drain that gas and refill it before reinstalling it on the bike. But for now, it's full of two week old fuel.

*** New fuel lines and clamps wouldn't be a bad idea, especially on a 23 year old motorcycle.

*** The intake "boots" that connect the carbs to the intake manifolds look to be in serviceable condition, so I'll probably not replace those.

~FIN~

Attachments

Reactions: ifly65
#21 ·
I really liked the Corbin seat, too, but it put my knees too high in relation to my hips and was uncomfortable to ride for longer period. A shame because I like being able to touch the ground.

#22 ·
I get it. I am a towering 5 foot 7 inches. When I sit on the bike my heels are about 1 (maybe 2) inches from the ground, but the balls of my feet are fairly well planted. The Corbin Gunfighter looks to be the trick, however as was pointed out by Member *ducvet the Gunfighter isn't very well suited for "doin' the monkey" in switchbacks (aka hanging off the side of the bike). The stock type seat is rounded off allowing for gymnastics. I'll allow myself to put some time on the stock seat before I throw any money at something different. $500 bucks (cost of a new Gunfighter) can go a long way towards perhaps more necessary items other than a fancy seat.

Baby steps. I mean, I've never even ridden one of these things yet!

One thing that I'm a bit concerned with is the riding position. I have a nerve injury on the right side of my neck (inoperable, and permanent) ... so I'm a wee bit pensive about the riding position. I've been looking into different handlebar options in the event the low clip-ons create a problem. It may end up that some sort of 7/8" above-the-triple-clamps configuration will be required. Which would create a domino effect of a number of consequential issues, longer hydraulic lines and throttle cables, longer control wiring, handlebar cutouts in the fairing and so on. That said I've been looking into alternatives in that arena to get ahead of the issue in the event I need to go with higher handlebars.

Again, one step at a time. Hopefully I won't need to spends the munnies on a new seat and a different handlebar configuration. I'd prefer to leave the bike as designed if'n I can get away with it!

Admittedly I have been aggressively looking into removing some weight without getting stupid about it by going with ~titanium everything~. Not that Ti parts are "stupid" ... I just feel that for a street bike with the limits these air cooled 900's have a lot of moolah spent on titanium zip ties (et al) isn't really needed. At least from my point of view. Some Ti parts may be used (rotor bolts/caliper bolts) on this bike in an effort to keep things from rusting and looking shitty as well as complimenting the use of lighter front brake rotors and so on. But again, that's "down the road" stuff.

Right now my focus is sourcing new fuel system hoses, battery hold-down rubber straps, new braided stainless hydraulic lines, and uprating the heavy current wiring.

Oh yea ... and getting learned-up on replacing the timing belts. It's intimidating, but that's because I've not studied up on it at all just yet. A few hours of research will probably reduce anxiety I have about doing that procedure. From what I've read so far it looks as though "Exact Fit" belts are what to buy. Motowheels has a fair price on those ($37.50 or so each with the military vet discount).

Being a combat related "complex PTSD" sufferer, I am very much looking forward to what is described by the following:

''The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time . . . in other words, he is in a state of ecstasy; in that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.''
-Milan Kundera

That's the stuffs!!!

#24 ·
I got fairly good at low speed/parking lot stuff on a pair of Harleys I had (back before fire was discovered ... 1980s). The Sportster (black bike below) wasn't too awful as it "only" weighed about 550 pounds. It took a little bit to become comfortable on the FXRS (the not-black bike below) since it came in at 650 pounds with a wider seat with a 64 inch wheelbase.

Funny ... Harley calls the FXRS a "sport model". Geez! :surprise: I really (really!) disliked that bike. I should never have traded in the Sportster for it. Live and (hopefully) learn, right?

:laugh:

I really miss that black one. It was one of those bikes you could just ride the holy piss out of and always be within the bike's limits. 4 speed transmission meant sticking it in 3rd gear around town and just leaving it there. I'm hoping this 900SS/CR will be as much fun as that black Sportster was. Something tells me it will, and then some by a factor of 10 plus.

.... "sport model" .... what the hell, over? ....

Attachments

#25 ·
The problem with corbin is they weigh to much so I bought a stock seat off ebay for $50 and reworked the foam...now I sit on the bike with my butt not with my thighs like the stock seat. Comfort level is greatly improved and for 300+ miles days are no problem and " Doing The Monkey" is easy.

Attachments

#26 ·
Nicely done. Your approach makes sense to me. In fact, you've reminded me that here in Yuma there is a Mexican fella that works at an upholstery shop that has made custom motorcycle seats for me in the past. He does excellent work. (Geez, it's been a few years ... I hope he's still alive and working on bike seats!).

Thanks for the input!!!!

#27 ·
I personally ride on Corbin saddles -yes they weigh a little more but all day comfort is more important for me on a street bike --I have well over 1 million miles on BMW's & Corbin saddles--that said I have not put one on my 91 900ss--(I do have one on my 91 907ie) -I dont plan at this time to use the 900ss for long distance touring -but if I did -it would have a Corbin saddle on it--But for touring the BMW is a far better and more comfortable bike--For me by the way serious touring is over 1000 miles a day, I did the Iron Butt Rally 3 times many years ago-early 90's--But now I'm old and dont plan to do that again lol

#28 ·
Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman! A thousand miles per day? Way out of my league, that's for certain!

I'm thinking that having two seats might be a good idea. One for playing around or in-town riding to the VA clinic, another for long, purpose driven trips. But that will have to wait. While I am not saying the Corbin isn't worth the $500 bucks they get for it, I need to focus on getting this bike roadworthy first and foremost. $500 bucks goes a long way towards that end.

Like many things, I will probably change my mind about some of the various ideas I have percolating up there in my brain noggin at present. What seems ~good~ now will probably seem like nonsense after I put a few hundred miles on the bike. But that's totally ok. I'm learning as I dig into some of these ideas ... and that's a good thing!

Thanks for your input, Member *rennsportmotorrad .... good stuff!

#29 ·
Here is a better photo of the seat modification. I have spent to much money lightning my CR to add weight she sits at 385 lbs. WET :)

rennsportmotorrad I agree about the tourning distance too. but I am talking about 300+ miles of sport riding with avg speed will in the upper 70 mph range.
I have done the Ironbutt once on 1150 GS in the mid 90's in preparation for an Arctic Circle trip...no big deal on the 1000 miles .
Now that Arctic/ Prudhoe Bay was a trip 6 weeks 11,800 miles and only stayed in a hotel once..three of us GS and 26 year old on KLR650!

I reagulary ride 100 + miles round trip just to breakfast on the weekends

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
I've had a couple 900's, including a '95 900SS/CR. A few comments...

Those "mufflers" are too small to be very effective. I love how those bikes sound with more era correct Termi or FbF style mufflers - larger diameter and longer, stuffed with fiberglass mat. The 'glass takes out the high frequencies and gives them a nice rumble. The pipes shown will just be f'ing loud. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud bikes. I know all the cool kids are putting miniature SC Project mufflers on their bikes these days but they sound like shit. Loud does not equal good. FWIW I developed OEM auto exhausts for years so am admittedly a bit biased on this. My 900ss/sp was the best sounding bike I've ever owned, including a couple Ducati Superbikes.

Open intake - if you mentioned anything about this, I missed it. But, a popular mod was to remove/cut the airbox lid for better breathing. I reversed this mod on a couple bikes because it was also way too loud. Tucked in with chin on tank, and at around 4000rpm I thought my helmet was going to explode from the noise. Yuck. Some people like the mod, I hate it entirely because of the noise. Literally painful to me but some people like it.

Front end - I didn't notice any mention of this either but if you're throwing money around, put decent forks on it. The front ends on those bikes are harsh as hell. The frames are also known to crack around the headstock. I'm not at all convinced the two aren't related. Again people will disagree, but the forks on a '96 CR suck. Save the money on a Corbin seat and upgrade the suspension instead. I had a Corbin for my 907 and a Sargent on one of my 900s. Wasn't too impressed with either one. Oh yeah, I've got a Corbin for my 851 also but it doesn't fit... not sure why, it's used so who knows. Also had a Sargent on my Hypermotard, didn't fit for shit without mods. Anyway, aftermarket seats are hit and miss with people. I'd upgrade the suspension before the seat.

Larger battery cables are a great idea. Dial in the carbs, upgrade the cables, that thing will start instantly when you press the button. Seriously, people commented on how fast mine started. No whirwhirBoom... press the button and it's running. I ran AGV batteries too which probably didn't hurt. Be careful disconnecting the lead on the starter. If you spin the post you'll have to rebuild the starter motor... which may not be a bad idea anyway.

If you're into losing weight, a lithium battery will likely attract your attention. Fair enough, I'm running one on my 851. However... if you take the plunge, add a mosfet regulator and a voltage meter too. Trust me, just do it. And buy a battery that has built in battery management, like an EarthX. Don't buy the battery now thikning you'll add the rest later. My 851 now has a new ECU, a new lithium battery, a few other electronic bits, and a few scars compliments of a regulator dying and a battery melting down.

The lower profile front tire that the CRs used sucks IMHO. I put the same tire as an SP on my CR. It will hit the stock fender, but it's an easy fix that doesn't cost a dime. Install the front wheel, put something between the fender and tire where it rubs to hold them apart. Watch where the fender flexes when you do this. Shove the rag or whatever in place, then blow on the area of the fender that flexed with a hairdrier set on "high". It should get too hot to touch but not melting. Do that on each side where it flexed then let it cool. When you pull the rag the fender will hold it's new shape and not rub. I think you said something about how the low profile tire looks but get over that, make the bike work well. It'll still look cool.

Clutch slave cylinder... If yours doesn't leak now it will eventually. Aftermarket units are typically a larger diameter for an easier pull. I never thought that was needed until I put one on my 851. Look into it.

Clutch covers - open covers are popular but remember it's what protects the clutch if the bike falls over. I prefer beefier covers with holes over the minimal covers that show off the clutch itself.

The stock mirrors droop. Bar end mirrors aren't a bad idea though I never used them on those.

The gearing has likely already been changed from stock. If not, 15/41 is popular. One thing that often gets overlooked on those bikes is the plate the holds the countershaft sprocket in place. They wear out. If the teeth on it aren't the same thickness as the rest of the plate, replace it. On the last 900 I bought, that plate was worn at least half way through.

That's about it from what I remember... The SS's are fun bikes but usually take some TLC to make up for past owner's sins. Enjoy!

#31 ·
I've had a couple 900's, including a '95 900SS/CR. A few comments...

Those "mufflers" are too small to be very effective. I love how those bikes sound with more era correct Termi or FbF style mufflers - larger diameter and longer, stuffed with fiberglass mat. The 'glass takes out the high frequencies and gives them a nice rumble. The pipes shown will just be f'ing loud. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud bikes. I know all the cool kids are putting miniature SC Project mufflers on their bikes these days but they sound like shit. Loud does not equal good. FWIW I developed OEM auto exhausts for years so am admittedly a bit biased on this. My 900ss/sp was the best sounding bike I've ever owned, including a couple Ducati Superbikes.
Noted. If it's a mistake to use the GPR Deeptone rig, then it's my mistake to make, and I'll own it. This is Harley country. There are plenty of straight "drag pipes" out here. My first Harley had the cores of the less than effective mufflers drilled out. Again, if the GPRs are wrong, I'll make changes. Attached is a pic of my first Harley (1984 XLX61 1000cc Sportster). Thanks for your suggestion.

Open intake - if you mentioned anything about this, I missed it.
That's because I didn't mention it. I didn't mention it because I've no intention of doing it.

Front end - I didn't notice any mention of this either but if you're throwing money around, put decent forks on it.
I'm not throwing money around. I'm a disabled military vet on a tight income. We had to dip into our savings just to buy this bike. I would never have even bought it had it not been for my wife and my doctors encouraging me to "get back on the bike". There are many (many!) riding vets here, many of whom are like myself, PTSD sufferers that deal with nightly horrid nightmares involving combat. Motorcycling is "the temporary cure" for most of us. Perhaps my enthusiasm has presented the wrong impression, but I'm not throwing money around. I've already been looking at various sets of Showa front ends on eBay (most run roughly $250 shipped). There are several shops the do excellent work on such front suspension systems, Race Tech being one. I have a number of motorcycle engines/frames/parts that will be sold to finance some of the uprates and changes on this bike. It comes down to "one step at a time".

Plus this ..... "You dont stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding."

I've been a "shut in" for nearly five years, rarely even leaving the house at all. This motorcycle is probably the best therapy I've ever engaged in. The amount of encouragement I've rec'd from my family, my VA docs, and my fellow vets to "get back on the bike" has been manna from Heaven all by itself, let alone the brighter view of my future the bike itself brings.

... Save the money on a Corbin seat and upgrade the suspension instead. .... I'd upgrade the suspension before the seat.
I've already said in previous postings that I intend to get the bike right and blow off any new seats. If anything I'll go with modifying the stock seat as has been depicted by Member *califblue. It makes a shatload of sense to me.

... Larger battery cables are a great idea. Dial in the carbs, upgrade the cables, that thing will start instantly when you press the button. Seriously, people commented on how fast mine started. No whirwhirBoom... press the button and it's running. I ran AGV batteries too which probably didn't hurt. Be careful disconnecting the lead on the starter. If you spin the post you'll have to rebuild the starter motor... which may not be a bad idea anyway.
Check. I've worked on (quite literally) roughly a thousand starters and starter solenoids when I owned and operated my industrial equipment factory authorized repair and warranty center for fifteen years. Many of which have that same problem on the hot stud, even worse is the fact that many of the hot studs on those starters and starter solenoids are made of plated copper. When the nut that secures the cable to the positive in stud loosens over time, and arcing occurs, it really screws up the threads on the stud(s) and makes for replacing the starter and/or solenoid. So thanks, I'll take care.

If you're into losing weight, a lithium battery will likely attract your attention. Fair enough, I'm running one on my 851. However... if you take the plunge, add a mosfet regulator and a voltage meter too. Trust me, just do it. And buy a battery that has built in battery management, like an EarthX. Don't buy the battery now thikning you'll add the rest later. My 851 now has a new ECU, a new lithium battery, a few other electronic bits, and a few scars compliments of a regulator dying and a battery melting down.
Good advice, thank you. I've been into the idea of using a LION batt for quite a while back when I was building a certain bike that didn't get finished due to the lack of available engine parts.

The lower profile front tire that the CRs used sucks IMHO. I put the same tire as an SP on my CR. It will hit the stock fender, but it's an easy fix that doesn't cost a dime. Install the front wheel, put something between the fender and tire where it rubs to hold them apart. Watch where the fender flexes when you do this. Shove the rag or whatever in place, then blow on the area of the fender that flexed with a hairdrier set on "high". It should get too hot to touch but not melting. Do that on each side where it flexed then let it cool. When you pull the rag the fender will hold it's new shape and not rub. I think you said something about how the low profile tire looks but get over that, make the bike work well. It'll still look cool.
The smaller front tire is a nod to the sport bikes of the 1980s that used a 16" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel. It makes the bike handle better at lower speeds (more responsive). My comments about "the look" are about how it reminds me of those bikes and how they were a "trick" used that made those bikes out turn bikes with a 19 inch front wheel. Keep in mind that a lot of what I say is motivated by raw enthusiasm. Thanks for the input on this.

Clutch slave cylinder... If yours doesn't leak now it will eventually. Aftermarket units are typically a larger diameter for an easier pull. I never thought that was needed until I put one on my 851. Look into it.
I already have an Oberon clutch slave in my "shopping cart" at Motowheels.

LINK = https://motowheels.com/i-7189544-oberon-clutch-slave-cylinder-ducati-fits-models-listed.html

Clutch covers - open covers are popular but remember it's what protects the clutch if the bike falls over. I prefer beefier covers with holes over the minimal covers that show off the clutch itself.
I've no intention of using some open type clutch cover.

The stock mirrors droop. Bar end mirrors aren't a bad idea though I never used them on those.
My bike already has bar-end mirror (one). Look at the pics of it. I rarely ever use the mirrors, rather I check my blind spot by actually turning that thing on top of my shoulders (my head) to see what's up. Having ridden Harleys for a few years (the mirrors are 100% useless on them) I'm used to checking behind me by actually looking.

The gearing has likely already been changed from stock. If not, 15/41 is popular. One thing that often gets overlooked on those bikes is the plate the holds the countershaft sprocket in place. They wear out. If the teeth on it aren't the same thickness as the rest of the plate, replace it. On the last 900 I bought, that plate was worn at least half way through.
Noted. I'll give it a good look.

That's about it from what I remember... The SS's are fun bikes but usually take some TLC to make up for past owner's sins. Enjoy!
Will do. 10-4, 10-8.

#35 ·
Might want to keep the mirrors in your dream plans, riding position doesn't make it comfortable looking behind you as much as other bikes you've ridden and more so if you have a full face helmet.

And also, since you have been off the bikes for a while you may not yet appreciate the scourge that smart phones have become to bikers. Texting, watching porno's, whatever they are doing they are not looking at the road - especially at stoplights you gotta keep an eye behind all the time in traffic.

Fortunately Yuma is not a major metro area, so you can ease into it!

#36 ·
SOME PARTS CAME IN (entry #1)

GPR Slip ons arrived. The "link pipes" had to be made up for my application. GPR no longer offers the Deeptone INOX slip ons for the 1996 900CR unless it's done via special order That said my order took a bit longer to arrive.

Beautifully done, best I can tell they're either laser welded or a process known as "Cold Wire TIG" was used to weld up the stingers (~ahem~ ... mufflers). Included were pre-installed "DB Killers" which are retained inside of the stingers using what I call a "*Jesus key" A nickname for internal snap rings, named for the hassle they can be to remove or install sometimes, making one yell out "JESUS!" while working to remove or install them.

The stingers came in these neat cloth black bags (one for each muffler) that use draw strings for closure. The mounting hardware also came in it's own draw string bag.

Also included is a very comprehensive installation manual. Not just some silly sheet of paper, but an actual manual.

The kitty in the pics is "CooCoo". She's daddy's girl, one of the feral cats we've taken in. She pretty much follows me everywhere, and she firmly believes she is a movie star, always stepping into the shot when I'm taking pictures.

The image of the yellow bike has the same type of "link pipes" that GPR made up for my order. I had actually ordered "S" shaped link high pipes, but I had also stipulated that I wanted the link pipes to clear my heels. I figure GPR knows best when it comes to those things. To be honest, after I had ordered them I had secretly hoped GPR would send the shorter link pipes, so I guess my wishes came true!

I'll be posting comparative weights between these GPRs, the Termis that my bike came with, and the stock "bazooka shooters" that also came with the bike in an upcoming project entry.

*That name ("Jesus key") was actually coined by the best friend I ever had, who took his own life in the year 2000 when he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. His younger brother committed suicide in 1979 by using a rifle that belonged to my friend while my friend was in the Navy, and his father committed suicide when my friend was roughly 4 or 5 years old. His name is Bob. We knew each other from 7th grade (1973) in Tucson, up to the year 2000. I miss him every day. I only wish I knew he was in pain, and that I could have had the chance to save him from his demons. Deeply tragic family history.

Attachments

#38 ·
"*Jesus key" A nickname for internal snap rings, named for the hassle they can be to remove or install sometimes, making one yell out "JESUS!" while working to remove or install them.
Way back in the '80s when I was an apprentice mechanic I worked for a civilian employee who'd been a P-51 mechanic in WWII. He owned his own John Deere dealership and worked at the air base for fun.

He was the first guy to tell me about "Jesus" clips. In his version of events, they (the snap rings) earned the name "Jesus" clips in WWII because when a mechanic took one off, it would go flying off into oblivion and the mechanic would holler "Jesus" where did it go????

Now imagine, working on a aircraft parking ramp built of PSP on a muddy field and trying to find a tiny snap ring that flung off onto the stuff pictured below.....only covered in mud.

My condolences to you on your friend. I didn't know him, so I can't say anything profound to you about what happened. I only know, that sometimes, there truly wasn't anything you could have done. Honor his memory, but don't beat yourself up over what you perceive you might have been able to do.....sean

#37 ·
SOME PARTS CAME IN (entry #2)

The Anti Gravity ~LION~ battery came in. It's ridiculously lightweight. The stock box of lead and acid weighs 12 pounds 14 ounces. This Anti Gravity battery weighs 2 pounds 3 ounces. So roughly 10 pounds 11 ounces lighter than the lead acid lump. It came with really nice hardware for connecting the cables to it. I'll need to fab up some spacers so it will fit in the battery tray of the 1996 900CR. I'll install it after the carbs come back (they've been shipped out today, they should arrive in my hot little hands by the end of this week or the beginning of next week).

The battery came with a little bonus item. It's some sort of LION powered lamp, that has a number of configurations and uses. Best I can tell it also may be switched on and off via Blue Tooth (somehow?). It's bright as the Sun, and recharged via USB-C connector (cable included!).

Work on the bike will resume in about a week. Once the carbs show up I can get started with that. I've ordered in a set of heavy duty battery cables, a case saver, and a set of Exact Fit belts from Motowheels.

Carbs, battery, and heavy duty cables first.
Then I'll make sure it starts and runs.

Once happy with that, the case saver goes in.
Then the swingarm adjuster plates (see previous posting).
Lastly the GPR slip ons will be installed.

So, plenty of work ahead. One thing at a time!

Attachments

#42 ·
The Anti Gravity ~LION~ battery came in. It's ridiculously lightweight. The stock box of lead and acid weighs 12 pounds 14 ounces. This Anti Gravity battery weighs 2 pounds 3 ounces. So roughly 10 pounds 11 ounces lighter than the lead acid lump. It came with really nice hardware for connecting the cables to it. I'll need to fab up some spacers so it will fit in the battery tray of the 1996 900CR. I'll install it after the carbs come back (they've been shipped out today, they should arrive in my hot little hands by the end of this week or the beginning of next week).

The battery came with a little bonus item. It's some sort of LION powered lamp, that has a number of configurations and uses. Best I can tell it also may be switched on and off via Blue Tooth (somehow?). It's bright as the Sun, and recharged via USB-C connector (cable included!).

Work on the bike will resume in about a week. Once the carbs show up I can get started with that. I've ordered in a set of heavy duty battery cables, a case saver, and a set of Exact Fit belts from Motowheels.

Carbs, battery, and heavy duty cables first.
Then I'll make sure it starts and runs.

Once happy with that, the case saver goes in.
Then the swingarm adjuster plates (see previous posting).
Lastly the GPR slip ons will be installed.

So, plenty of work ahead. One thing at a time!

Will this battery work with stock wiring, without any changes?

#40 ·
CARBS (part 1)

I sent the carburetors to Custom Carb Service, recommended to me by several forum members. I've no choice but to say they came out utterly fantastic. Turn around time was inside of four days between the day they arrived at Custom Carb Service and the day they were shipped back to me.

The first two images are ~before~ shots, taken the day I removed them from the motorcycle. The third image is one ~before~ and one ~after~. The remaining images depict the innards and assembled units after refurbishing.

SCROLL DOWN FOR PART 2

Attachments

Reactions: ifly65
#41 ·
CARBS (part 2) and addendum to exhuast entry .. and frame braces

I had to split this entry up into two postings because the images exceeded the maximum size limit. See the previous post for "Part 1".

They look great. They'll be very temporarily stored inside until new fuel hoses show up. No sense in leaving them out in the heat while I wait on fuel lines, right?

GPR DEEPTONE INOX SLIP ONS:

The red bike depicts the "link pipes" I actually ordered.

The yellow bike depicts the "link pipes" that I actually received.

I'm glad that GPR either screwed up (or second guessed my order). The angled mufflers (yellow bike) will work out far better than that "S" shaped link pipe rig (red bike).

ONE OTHER THING - ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE FRAME SUPPORTS ("FRAME BRACE")?:

*** Another member suggested installing a frame brace made by BBB Fabrications (see image #6).

*** I located what seems to be another fab shop in the UK that makes what appear to be the same type of bolt on brace. Anyone know anything about that company and/or that brace? (see images #7, 8, and 9). I think it's an independent fabrication shop.

*** Which looks a lot like what is labeled as a "Steve Bailey Frame Brace (image #10) ?????

Any help?

Thank you!

Attachments

#49 ·
I had to split this entry up into two postings because the images exceeded the maximum size limit. See the previous post for "Part 1".

They look great. They'll be very temporarily stored inside until new fuel hoses show up. No sense in leaving them out in the heat while I wait on fuel lines, right?

GPR DEEPTONE INOX SLIP ONS:

The red bike depicts the "link pipes" I actually ordered.

The yellow bike depicts the "link pipes" that I actually received.

I'm glad that GPR either screwed up (or second guessed my order). The angled mufflers (yellow bike) will work out far better than that "S" shaped link pipe rig (red bike).

ONE OTHER THING - ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE FRAME SUPPORTS ("FRAME BRACE")?:

*** Another member suggested installing a frame brace made by BBB Fabrications (see image #6).

*** I located what seems to be another fab shop in the UK that makes what appear to be the same type of bolt on brace. Anyone know anything about that company and/or that brace? (see images #7, 8, and 9). I think it's an independent fabrication shop.

*** Which looks a lot like what is labeled as a "Steve Bailey Frame Brace (image #10) ?????

Any help?

Thank you!
Man those carbs look like new!

#48 ·
CRACKED TERMI SLIP ON

Well well ... so it looks as though I needed to replace the slip ons anyway! I removed the Termignonis that came installed on the bike when I bought it. Turns out one of them is cracked. Just the thought of it breaking free of the bike on a two lane highway and the rogue chunk doing end over end flips at 75mph and going through an on coming traffic windshield is enough to create Pucker Factor of 10.0!

WEIGHTS:
I weighed the stock Ducati slip ons, the Termis, and the new GPRs on our postal scale. All three slip ons had the link pipe included when weighed.

** Stock = (1) 7 pounds, 2.5 ounces ... (2) 14 pounds, 5 ounces.
** Termi = (1) 4 pounds, 5 ounces ... (2) 8 pounds, 10 ounces.
** GPR Deeptone INOX = (1) 3 pounds, 13.6 ounces ... (2) 7 pounds, 7 ounces.

Note that the GPR had the DB Killer removed.

So while the pair of GPRs are just 1 pound 3 ounces lighter than two Termis (and HALF the weight of the stock bazooka shooters), stainless steel is hills and valleys more durable than carbon fiber. And I feel these GPRs look a lot better than the Termis. Subject to personal tastes, of course.

Pics = cracked Termi.

Attachments

#51 ·
Well I can say this--I talked to Steve about a month ago, He said that he is not doing this full time anymore as he has taken a job elsewhere, especially since these bikes are getting older and the orders have been getting fewer. I needed the frame brace & a set of high pipe mounts--He did not have any ready at the time but told me he would have them within 2 weeks--He emailed me back about 2-2 1/2 weeks later said they were ready. I paid him and within 10 day's the parts arrived here in the U.S. from the UK no problems what so ever. Now I did not sit around and wait for a message on this forum--I freeking called him on the phone, we talked and then went thru personal emails. --I would have absolutely no reservations purchasing something else from Steve @ BBB. Fabrications. Just know he does not have nor keep much sitting on the shelf anymore because people are not purchasing parts for these older bikes as much as they did years ago. So if you have to have it right now--he may not be able to supply it, But if your a normal sane reasonable person, Steve is a great resource. That's my 2 cents worth

Reactions: Iwannaduc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.