Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a 1995 900ss that looks interesting like a project. Can some one tell me the difference between the 1995 and the 1997 model. The fairings are obviously different but were there any technical upgrades?

Any thing special to think of when buying an old SS?

Jocke

·
Registered
918 Posts
Any thing special to think of when buying an old SS?

Jocke
Nope, nothing different really between the 1995 and 1997. Color the engine covers were painted maybe. Fairings are the same as well, only the graphics are different.

As for anything special to think of...if it's cheap, it's gonna cost you later. Check the frame tubes near the steering head closely for cracks. Same for the shock mount on the swing arm. And the welds around the pivot area. Check the tank for rust.

Also check for marks on the swing arm, as well as the counter shaft area for signs of a chain derailing. I'm 2 for 2 on that count as both the Ducatis I bought had a chain derail under a previous owner. Both were damaged to the point of leaking oil from the cracks caused by the derailment.

If you elect to buy, you'll likely want to replace the steering head bearings. Check the fuel filter, pump and suction pick up sock as they were prone to not get serviced. Pretty much it that I can think of right now, other than the normal checks for oil leaks.....sean

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a '95 SS-SP that I loved. Just sold it to the guy next door.
Iwannaduc has a good list. I followed some such as http://www.ducatitech.com/info/buyers_faq.html
Had to replace the steering head bearings ( not a simple job and they had to source the part). My frame was OK, same for the swing arm. No sign about a chain derail either. Mine was early too. In fact, check to ensure the hread bolts are OK ... Some early ones broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts