Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strongly suspect I have junk in my gas tank that is causing the bike to run rough. Dealer went through carbs and tuning and bike will run smoothly briefly but then starts missing, coughing, etc. Looking for guidance on tank removal and cleaning. I'm three hours from the nearest dealership and would like avoid the dealer rate for repair, if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Your symptoms seem like a pinched hose or split fuel hose inside the tank - possibly a clogged fuel filter.

Might be easier to drain the tank before you start removing bolts, just hold a container up to a hose connection near the carbs.
Remove seat, lift tank and close the knurled knob clockwise looking from the bottom at the tank to shut off that valve.
Remove hoses, helpful to mark them in some way.
Unplug electrics after disconnecting battery.
I find it easier to get the bolt under the tank at the hinge first (the one closest to the carbs). Then set the tank back down off the prop rod.
Two bolts outside on the frame, that's it.
You will be saving less than a half hour shop time, if you want to go further then remove the gas cap surround and cap. Need a very tiny allen wrench but try not to back the bolts quite all the way out as they are a bugger to put back in and so easy to drop into the tank opening or lose. Take your time on three adjacent ones until you can feel they are free of the lip they catch on to hold it in. I use a little flat nylon stick as a pry bar on the surround to check for when its loose. Back out the rest the same amount, as I recall it is about 6 full turns. Then release the hoses and pull out the pump and filter.

Now you have saved some shop time + 2 hours and shop price parts including putting all that back in with a new filter, submersible hoses, cap O-ring and pump sock.

Be sure to include a spare key for the gas cap if you take it to a shop, they will need it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Or look up the thread that says --Repairing a rusty or leaking SS fuel tank--step by step instructions on the repair if you have rust in the tank--If no rust then take it apart as RockAZ said and replace all of the in tank fuel lines & fuel filter--check the sock filter on the pump as well--just make sure you use fuel line that is made to be submersed in fuel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts