Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having one of those electrical gremlins issue. I got both a low and high beam Prolumen HID Kit.

It was fairly plug and play but it definitely not working properly.

With the ignition on, the low beam lights up but once I fire the engine and it's running, low beam goes off. With the engine running, I switch to high beam and that works. Try to switch back to low beam. No go.

Did I cross the wires, do I need resistors, I'm at a lost.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electronic relays like for the turn signals? I know there is one right next to the battery.

Is there a particular relay I would need for the HID and at what point would I install the relay?

If I sound like I'm talking out of my ass,its probably cause I dont know too much electrical when it comes to relays, resistors, etc. :confused:

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I would say you need relays for the two HIDs.

brian.
Indeed, the wiring on a 916 is not up to carrying the load.

I fitted a HID low beam to mine which needed a relay as voltage drop causes it to trip out especially if the light is on when starting the engine. I also fitted a relay for the main beam (100w halogen) which made it brighter and quicker on - even with a stock 55w bulb.

I fitted the relays by the battery using heavy gauge wiring from battery to relay to light, also fitted a separate heavy gauge negative from battery to light. Make sure you fit fuses to the relay supply.

The red piece with red cable is a fuse holder (clips into existing main fuse holder) which supplies the two (black) 12v automotive relays that in turn switch the lights using the lightswitch wiring to power the relays.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im sure your answer is above, but Ill just give you my starting procedure. I bought my 2001 748 with a ghetto ridged low beam HID. In order to get it to stay on once the bike fires I have to turn the ignition on and let the ballast warm up and get to full power for a few seconds before I fire the bike. Maybe I could benefit from a relay as well??? I know very little about electrical except it can hurt. :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang.. guess that's part of the joy of owing a 916.

Wished it would have been made known that relays were needed for HID kits for the 916.

Most write-ups just described how to install the kits and not too much mentioned on the relays.

Guess I will have to monkey around with the electrical some more.... oh joooooy. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts