Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ducati Super Sport 900 CR
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just got this beautiful 1994 900 SS CR this last Friday and am beside myself how awesome it is! I was doing some work on the right rear set (where your pegs and rear brake are) and accidentally sheared one of bolts off in the process. Seems simple enough right. My question is what kind of fastener is this, it looks an allen bolt from the front, but on the backside it look like an acorn nut. There's also a grounding wire that connects to this bolt under this proprietary nut. Any recommendations on getting this sucker outta there so i can install new hardware? I don't want to mess up that fastener. Also, you'd think i could back out the broken bolt using the nut but its surrounded by frame there's no clearance for a wrench or socket. Anyone else performed this operation?
right rear set bolt.jpg

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
it is a normal bolt with a nut on the back which holds the stupid engine to frame earth strap against the back of the frame. undo the nut, then try to extract the bolt remains.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Fix the rust while you are down there.

Reactions: mzrhayes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is a normal bolt with a nut on the back which holds the stupid engine to frame earth strap against the back of the frame. undo the nut, then try to extract the bolt remains.
Ha! Thanks man, ill keep at it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a 1/4" socket for tight clearance and a long extension from the other side of the bike, a wobble extension helps with alignment. Be sure to clean the grounds since you will have it apart.
10-4, oh I will get it out!

·
Registered
726 Posts
put a star washer between the ground strap and the frame. makes for a better electrical connection. on reassembly, install bolt to hold rearset on, then star washer, then ground strap, then nylok nut.

Fred

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
put a star washer between the ground strap and the frame. makes for a better electrical connection. on reassembly, install bolt to hold rearset on, then star washer, then ground strap, then nylok nut.

Fred
Ok, thank you Fred!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, I just got this beautiful 1994 900 SS CR this last Friday and am beside myself how awesome it is! I was doing some work on the right rear set (where your pegs and rear brake are) and accidentally sheared one of bolts off in the process. Seems simple enough right. My question is what kind of fastener is this, it looks an allen bolt from the front, but on the backside it look like an acorn nut. There's also a grounding wire that connects to this bolt under this proprietary nut. Any recommendations on getting this sucker outta there so i can install new hardware? I don't want to mess up that fastener. Also, you'd think i could back out the broken bolt using the nut but its surrounded by frame there's no clearance for a wrench or socket. Anyone else performed this operation?
View attachment 988792
update. so I wrestled with that dang nut for 3 hours and could not get a tool on it, i ended up shearing the ground wire off to move it out of the way, but still didn't have enough room. Im going to get some thin wall sockets tomorrow and give it another go this week sometime

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. The bolt is out! Used 2 wobble extensions and a ujoint with a thin wall 14mm. Turns out that's an acorn nut....hmph....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Bud you sent us a picture of the nut---Did you not look at the picture? --we all knew it was an acorn nut from the pic lol --But good for you getting it out mate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.