Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ducati Super Sport 900 CR
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, it's been a hot minute since I posted here. You have helped a lot before so I'm coming back for advice. Was pulling the stator cover on my bike to replace my stator (another story!). So i installed my puller and began to crank away, noticing, that the upper rear of the cover wasn't releasing. I found out why when I got on the floor and saw the ugliest weld I'd ever seen. Apparently, someone had patched a hole there. I'm assuming the drive chain came loose and put a hole in the cover and left engine case. I'm not fretting too much on the cover (i can replace that), but the left engine case is also damaged. Is there a way to repair this surface without changing cases?!

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,591 Posts
Why not try doing your best to make a nice mating surface and use liquid gasket to fill any imperfections when putting the cover back on?

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Not that hard to fix, because you can get to both sides. Grind out the shit weld, find a good welder with a TIG. After welding as Yorik said dress the edge nice and flat, the reassemble with sealer.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
if the case edge hideousness is only proud, file it down to flat and fit the cover with goop. easy peasy.

if it's low, weld or devcon it up. shitload easier than pulling and splitting it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not try doing your best to make a nice mating surface and use liquid gasket to fill any imperfections when putting the cover back on?
Yessir, that'll be the first go for sure!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that hard to fix, because you can get to both sides. Grind out the shit weld, find a good welder with a TIG. After welding as Yorik said dress the edge nice and flat, the reassemble with sealer.
You mean build the area back up with TIG and grind to fit?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the case edge hideousness is only proud, file it down to flat and fit the cover with goop. easy peasy.

if it's low, weld or devcon it up. shitload easier than pulling and splitting it.
Belter what is DEVCON? a process or an acronym :D

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Yes I would build back up with TIG and surface it.
DEVCON is a product, epoxy. Similar to JB Weld but industrial and 1000 times better. Comes in aluminum or bronze. I have used to repair case damage on several occasions. Just has to be crazy clean….another product I have used for case repair is MarineTex….also excellent and a little more forgiving about being dirty. But I consider welding the best because you can repair like it was never there.

Reactions: Beauwulf

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone just an update on part out status. I thought I had a buyer for the whole bike last month but it wasn't in the cards I guess. Anyways, its now on Facebook Marketplace as a last ditch effort before part out. While it is a beautiful machine it is equally frustrating, like a chocolate covered orange...a peculiar thing indeed. I have no experience parting out anything, and the packing and shipping sounds god awful so I might need some advice. Shipping internationally can't be cheap but a lot of Ducati riders are where I am not. I let you guys know how the FBMP thing goes, im really not confident in it though :cry:

BTW, this machine resides in Denver, Colorado

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I am in the springs with a very well equipped shop. Didn’t realize you were so close. I might be able to work out the repair or possibly buy the bike. PM me and we can discuss.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here's a link to my FBMP posting in curious/interested guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts