Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up yesterday with some of the "usual" expected problems. Intend to ultimately disassemble, thoroughly clean, repair, replace, and rewire as needed. Some oil leaks from valve covers, some around the oil filter, carb issues, and some tip over body work. None is out of my realm. What is freaking me out a bit is some parts availability is a bit sketchy.

The biggest red light issue is the speedo drive which is discontinued and they seem pretty rare. I guess a GPS speedo is possible when the time comes, but I'd like to fix it the right way to keep more of a stock appearance. The right front caliper is leaking, but I found a used pair for $125 since rebuild kits don't seem to exist. Read up on Brembo not importing kits into the US, but didn't see any in the UK either for this model. But I guess you just have to watch for these things and eventually they show up.

In the mindset that this will be an extended length project. This is bike #3 so it's not critical, rather a chance for me to get back to my mechanical/work with the hands roots. If it takes a year to get it together, it's not going to bother me at all. Happy for the technical knowledge available here and knowing that there is someone with a likely answer or at least a good guess around. I guess I will likely become a bit of a fixture here. Pop up on the Sport Touring end of the world since one of my other bikes is a ST4S, but that doesn't cause much trouble...outside of the brain not initializing correctly every now and then. Just know if the engine doesn't catch in the first couple of spins, turn off the key, wait a second, and try again.

Will have to post pics as this comes along. Hope to start in this fall on the teardown and initial troubleshooting, then hopefully start the reverse in the spring when the weather warms up and time is available.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The biggest red light issue is the speedo drive which is discontinued and they seem pretty rare. I guess a GPS speedo is possible when the time comes, but I'd like to fix it the right way to keep more of a stock appearance. The right front caliper is leaking, but I found a used pair for $125 since rebuild kits don't seem to exist. Read up on Brembo not importing kits into the US, but didn't see any in the UK either for this model. But I guess you just have to watch for these things and eventually they show up.
I am also in the midst of a 900SS project. The speedo drives do come up on eBay occasionally. You just have to be patient.

Brake caliper rebuild kits are also on there. Both for the front and the rear. These are on pretty much all the time so no need to wait. Last I saw was about $60 for a kit to rebuild both fronts. Hope this is of some help....sean

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Welcome to the madness!

Yes some parts will dry up so get it apart and start your Easter egg hunt early.

Keep in mind there are a couple different drives that can work in a pinch, monsters used the same as well as the 851/888. There is a small axle,large axle and hollow axle you want to avoid the hollow unless you plan on swapping wheels. There are also drives for the CR as well as the SS/SP these are a slightly different ratio due to the 120/60 vs 120/70 front tire.

Before rebuilding make sure to check prices on NEW brembo calipers as some times they are closer in price than you might think and will not have 24 years of grime/use on them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You can find much of the caliper rebuild stuff at Bevelheaven.com. They didn't used to have the o-ring between the caliper halves, but that might have changed. i was told that Brembo didn't want to deal with US product liability for DIY people and have chosen to make calipers available at reasonable prices while feasible.

I was able to purchase rebuild parts from a KTM dealer. These brakes were used on an old Duke, and KTM makes parts available direct from Europe. You have to order on-line or tell the dealer that they are for a KTM. Sorry, but I forgot what year Duke I used when I made the on-line order, but you should be able to figure it out if you desire.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I'd also suggest that along with patience is to have a slush fund readily available so that when the rarer parts show up, they can be had quickly.

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
1994 Ducati ss/cr
67 Posts
'94 900ss brake rebuild

Just recently bought the kits for the front calipers at my
local KTM dealer , took a couple of weeks, but no problem.
BRAKES:
BREMBO Rear Caliper P32F- 32mm Piston

front: Brembo 30/34 Goldline calipers
part number is 58713021000. 'repair kit seal rings Duke 02'
(KTM DUKE 2002 kit # 58713021000)

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
If you buy a used speedo drive make sure the housing isn’t cracked. When you install the wheel follow the directions to avoid pinch/cracking the new one or destroying the cable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, took it out for a couple of runs around the block, but not for a proper outing yet. Funny how the thing idles really nice when you get the old gas out and put in some fresh. Still some low circuit issues as it will bog and lurch under about 3k, but I'll dig into it and get them cleaned out.

For now, it's a great starter, fires right up, but the ignition switch or relay has an issue so you have to repeatedly turn the key from off to on until it catches and I get power. I'm sure there will be many fun surprises to come as well. Have to peruse the forums for this and other issues.

Funny how small this thing is. Really get the sense of sitting on top of it rather than "in" it as with the ST.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Get a speedo drive from a monster. It'll cost about $50 new. You'll need to swap out the internal gears of the monster drive with the gears from the SS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a speedo drive from a monster. It'll cost about $50 new. You'll need to swap out the internal gears of the monster drive with the gears from the SS.
He sent one with. I'll take a look

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks for the tip.....mine is cracked and as the speedometer cable was broken when I bought it, my assumption is the assembly procedure was not followed. I did check the drive once I got a new speedo cable and it still functions. At least now, I have a readily available avenue to replace the broken housing....thanks again....sean

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Just recently bought the kits for the front calipers at my
local KTM dealer , took a couple of weeks, but no problem.
BRAKES:
BREMBO Rear Caliper P32F- 32mm Piston

front: Brembo 30/34 Goldline calipers
part number is 58713021000. 'repair kit seal rings Duke 02'
(KTM DUKE 2002 kit # 58713021000)
I feel like this information needs to be pinned somewhere. Maybe posted in the "compatible parts" thread at the top of this forum. Also, with the part number you can order KTM parts online from any number of parts websites, though going to a brick and mortar helps ensure that there remain brick and mortar places to go. That said, my local KTM dealers have yet to treat me well. I've had good luck with https://www.ktmpartspro.com and their online catalog is the only one I've seen that reflects corporate inventory levels, not just part diagrams.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
it will bog and lurch under about 3k
These bikes of this era were not made to cruise much below 4000rpm, that does not mean it should not accelerate cleanly from idle to 4000. But These carbureted bikes were/are not happy until the tachometer is pointing north of 4000 better still cruising in the 5000rpm range is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I feel like this information needs to be pinned somewhere. Maybe posted in the "compatible parts" thread at the top of this forum. Also, with the part number you can order KTM parts online from any number of parts websites, though going to a brick and mortar helps ensure that there remain brick and mortar places to go. That said, my local KTM dealers have yet to treat me well. I've had good luck with https://www.ktmpartspro.com and their online catalog is the only one I've seen that reflects corporate inventory levels, not just part diagrams.

I've posted multiple times the part numbers and process.

Edit:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tech-forum/354578-40-mm-calipers.html

Reactions: davesprinkle

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Brake parts rebuild kits

I just happened to find that Gotham Cycles has the rebuild kits for not only the front and rear calipers but also the master cylinders. They aren't listed where you think you'd find them but rather they're on the website in the "tools" section.
Pretty sure they're listed as a site supporter/vendor so I don't mind throwing some business their way......sean

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good find. Before you decide to split the caliper halves, make sure the kit included the o-ring that goes between them.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Good find. Before you decide to split the caliper halves, make sure the kit included the o-ring that goes between them.
I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to do my calipers. I'm a long way from that point though. My engine is sitting on my garage floor in a stand. Everything else is in boxes aside from the larger parts....sean

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Fairing is pulled, updating the voltage regulator with a Roadstercycle kit. Cleaning off massive amounts of grunge everywhere. One of the bolts for the front disc was completely stripped out, so replacing all, pulled discs and am cleaning wheel, pulled mufflers, and looking for obvious issues.

On the speedo drive, the housing was completely broken, the drive pins completely worn off, and the drive plate in the wheel is missing. There is absolutely nothing to make it spin. He sent a replacement along with it, I believe from a Monster, but still need the wheel side piece.

Got to get the boat out of the garage and into storage so I have more room, then I can pull the forks and the triple clamps to see how the bearings are in the steering head. They feel a bit notchy and stiff. The rest is shaping up nicely.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Update: Cleaning off massive amounts of grunge
I feel your pain. Mine was leaking from the fork seals, alternator cover, right front caliper and the shock. Seems every square inch is covered in oily grime.
On the speedo drive, the housing was completely broken, the drive pins completely worn off, and the drive plate in the wheel is missing. There is absolutely nothing to make it spin. He sent a replacement along with it, I believe from a Monster, but still need the wheel side piece.
There is one on eBay right now, a drive ring and retaining ring....I forget how much it is going for.

I can pull the forks and the triple clamps to see how the bearings are in the steering head. They feel a bit notchy and stiff. The rest is shaping up nicely.
Mine were trashed. The lower bearing rollers ground a notch for themselves in the outer race. I'm just waiting for a day off from work during the week so I can go to my local bearing supplier and get a new set along with front and rear wheel bearings.....sean

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great thread, I’m working through my own new to me 1995 900ss focusing on the maintenance items so far and fingers crossed, nothing too bad yet. Hoping to get a ride in with new racetech fork springs before I open up and redo the carbs over the winter. Very interested to hear how yours goes.

Btw an outfit called powerhouse in the uk sells the caliper rebuild kits as well and I can confirm they do come with the o rings for the caliper halves. Can’t report on the quality of the kit yet until I install it, but it seems to have solid reviews.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts