Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished up with all my repairs. I put on new front brake rotors, drained the oil after a sump full of gasoline, and the bike started right up.

While tightening the front wheel, the bike fell over. Luckily, the bodywork was off so there was no damage.

I put the bodywork back on and went to start the bike. Nothing. Not even a click.

Coud I have hit something when the bike fell?

Where should I start?

I am just really frustrated with this bike right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check the white two-wire plug in the starter solenoid, these have a habit of falling out... just had a moment with mine not starting - one of the connectors in said plug had pulled out the back of it? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check the white two-wire plug in the starter solenoid, these have a habit of falling out... just had a moment with mine not starting - one of the connectors in said plug had pulled out the back of it? :)
Yeah, I second this, esp if the starter didn't even try. Use a tie wrap around the solenoid and between the two wires to keep it on. Mine will wiggle out over time otherwise.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Guys!!

Now for the odd part. I let it sit for an hour, and then it started right up!

I swear this bike is haunted.

Nevertheless, I am going to check the solenoid wire, as that seems to be a likely culprit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I second this, esp if the starter didn't even try. Use a tie wrap around the solenoid and between the two wires to keep it on. Mine will wiggle out over time otherwise.
+3

99% of the time my 900 won't start it's that the wires going to the solenoid get loose. Before I figured that out I thought I had bought a lemon. Like sofa king said, Zip tie the plug to the solenoid and then forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
954 Posts
Had grief on Sunday from the bike - rebuilt the carbs with new emulsion tubes & gaskets etc, replaced them and fired it up - sounded good & the sun was out so went out for a blap round. :D

Stopped off at the shop and bought lunch. Afterwards I walked over to the bike, helmet & gloves on, leg over, ignition on...

Nothing.

Sh!t.

Little plug was ziptied in ages ago - still in place?

Had a peek round, couldnt see anything obvious??

(swearing)

(More swearing)

Got out the little clip-top lunchbox I have filled with tools, bolts etc under the seat - retrieved a crosshead screwdriver & used it to bridge the two terminals on the soleniod - bike started straight up! :rolleyes:

Got home & had a closer look at the solenoid... on removing the white plug one of the terminals was missing inside??

Dammit.

Further poking around revealed that the terminal had not broken off - it was still intact, having backed up inside the connector??

Removed it and tweaked the little barb down, snapping it back into the plug... :D

I can only think I must have got the wire caught up refitting the airbox - instead of pulling the plug out it pulled the connector backwards?

Easy fix, but at the time very stressful/fkn embarrasing... :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Little plug was ziptied in ages ago - still in place?
That plug can be impossible to get to. Here's what i did:

Knowing that even though my solenoid was still good, I decided to replace it with a Yamaha unit that has a pigtail female plug, kinda like this one:
Solenoid

Then I bought a simple waterproof 2-wire connector like this one:
Connector

Fitted it all up, and now I have a new starter solenoid with a long pigtail and a new connector, all for about 30 bucks. Well worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
954 Posts
That plug can be impossible to get to. Here's what i did:

Knowing that even though my solenoid was still good, I decided to replace it with a Yamaha unit that has a pigtail female plug, kinda like this one:
Solenoid

Then I bought a simple waterproof 2-wire connector like this one:
Connector

Fitted it all up, and now I have a new starter solenoid with a long pigtail and a new connector, all for about 30 bucks. Well worth the piece of mind.
Good shout! :D

Is there a replacement plug avaliable which will clip into the standard Ducati solenoid?

Maybe solder wires to the pins in the plug solenoid female connector?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts