Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Just found and bought a 1993 888 SPO with some nice upgrades Carbon Fiber tank, JMC Swingarm, Brembo Radials and a set of Termi's. I was wondering if any of you men of wisdom could tell me if this year of the 888 had any issues with rocker flaking or did this not start until the 916/748's? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

01010_7VQqKTPDENU_600x450.jpg

00M0M_ggwOaw7kAI7_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_kz3ObPE8VKh_600x450.jpg

01313_3VOOvLaHWu2_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Yeah, it started with the 2nd or 3rd year of the 916.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you!

Dukerdr,

Thanks for the info, this is really helpful and quite a relief, Now on to the clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Gentlemen,

Just found and bought a 1993 888 SPO with some nice upgrades Carbon Fiber tank, JMC Swingarm, Brembo Radials and a set of Termi's. I was wondering if any of you men of wisdom could tell me if this year of the 888 had any issues with rocker flaking or did this not start until the 916/748's? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Geezus... that thing is mint. Beautiful find.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
That is beautiful! Congrats on the purchase!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
My 92 had 2 or 3 rockers flake in 40,000 miles, it was much less common but still could happen. all the original rocker should be of a higher polish than rockers are today.

Other things to look at
Things that I needed to do to mine in 40,000 miles
soft valve seats allowed the valves to sink into the heads, this was not something I saw much of at the dealership so it may have just been my luck.
regulator rectifier I think I went through 2-3 Ducati electronicas before the hitachi replacement came out. No issues since.
Fuel pump- I went through 1 oem pump and then switched to aftermarket that were much less reliable (mustang 5.0)
crank plug yes mine came out somewhere around 20,000 miles and I fixed it.
coolant hose I had a hose failure somewhere around 30,000 miles on one of the special hoses, samco makes sets now.
fuel filters change every tune about 6500 miles

Other than that it was just normal maintenance...... and a big bore kit.:wink2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input!

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the input, Ducvet always good to get your take on things. It should arrive on 2 weeks, so I plan to do the belts, tires and full tune up. I will make sure and go through all the things listed above. Thanks for the time and the follow up. Always appreciate the power and knowledge on this forum. Have a great week.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Such a beautiful bike, wish it was on the market before I bought mine - I looked for quite a while but none were available. Maybe if I had joined this forum first I might have been able to find one before "settling" on a 900SS,...:laugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have at 92 also. Replaced belts & installed samco hoses. I have had to rocker arm or valve problems as of yet. Bike runs well. Truly a 90's super bike.. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I keep attempting to find time to get mine back on the road/track but too many projects and those pesky customers keep eating into my free time. I am tempted to throw my carbon fairings back on and at least take it to a track day but the reason I built a track bike in the first place was parts were getting harder to find in the late 90's.

You do not see these bikes out any more and that is a shame as they are pleasant to look at and a joy to ride. I am sure you will enjoy your new 888 there was something more raw about the sound of an 851/888 than the 916 and newer bikes though there should be little difference as the motors are pretty much the same except bore and stroke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts