Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I tried the search but couldn't really find an answer.. so... :D

Ever since I bought my 750SS about 7 months ago, at about 5k and above, if I squeeze the throttle, I had a minor clutch slip.

Lately I have it even in lower RPMs and looks like its getting worse..

I tried to check the clutch plates and they looked really good, enough 'meat' on them, no marks of wear on wither them or any other plates or parts inside. All looks just fine...

I replaced the springs with a bit stiffer ones but nothing changed.

I can just buy a new set of clutch plates but it looks like I may get the same result...

Any ideas? questions that may give more information toward an answer? :)

Unfortunately, not many ( I can count them on one hand and talked with half already, without progress...) mechanics around here know how to handle Ducatis...

Thanks!

Lior.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,343 Posts
Could be a few things.

You need to measure the thickness of the friction plates to see if they are still OK.

Another thing is the "stack height" - all the plates to see if that is OK. If it is too low then the pressure plate will not be able to push them together.

Another clutch problem comes from corrugations in the basket and hub that prevents the plates from sliding in and out smoothly. This would normally have an impact when using the clutch. Often juddering combining with graunching noises as the plates try to move together.

Duc clutches, as clutch principles go, are no different to other bikes, so a decent mech for any brand of bike should know how to check/fix.

This is a link to the workshop manual. Be warned it is about 188Mb file size.
Also, due to Apple shutting down this site on 30 June 2012, it will not be available for download after that, so if you want all the workshop info, download NOW.

https://files.me.com/yellowducati/c6t4cm

Richard

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wet Clutch right???

I assume you have a wet clutch right? If so, did you change the oil on the bike? Did you use Synthetic? If you did... drain it immediately!!! I hope it's not too late!!!

Vickon:abduct:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wet Clutch...

Hello Lior, if you use Synthetic oil it has to be for motorcycles and for wet clutch! For example, you cannot use Mobil 1 10-40 Synthetic oil on a motorcycle with wet clutch. If you used other synthetic oil not specified for motorcycles with wet clutch I guarantee that's were your problem is!!! If so, drain it immediately, buy some cheap motorcycle oil, fill it up and run the bike for a couple of minutes or a day or so and then drain it again and pour good oil specifically for motorcycles and wet clutch. Hopefully your problem will go with that service.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Lior, if you use Synthetic oil it has to be for motorcycles and for wet clutch! For example, you cannot use Mobil 1 10-40 Synthetic oil on a motorcycle with wet clutch. If you used other synthetic oil not specified for motorcycles with wet clutch I guarantee that's were your problem is!!! If so, drain it immediately, buy some cheap motorcycle oil, fill it up and run the bike for a couple of minutes or a day or so and then drain it again and pour good oil specifically for motorcycles and wet clutch. Hopefully your problem will go with that service.

I hope this helps!

It did help!!

I drained the old one, added a new one and ran it for about a day, than drained it again and used a good one and it worked like a magic! no more clutch slip!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D <==== real smile :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Uh...wow. I have the exact same problem. I don't know what kind of damage the guy has done to the bike (you can see the metal on the back tire, meaning he ground it down a LOT), but since I would have used synthetic before this thread, he probably would have too. Why is synthetic bad? Any specific motor oil you guys recommend?

Edit: In all my vehicles I used synthetic, including my old motorcycle with a wet clutch (Ninja EX500).

·
Registered
954 Posts
Uh...wow. I have the exact same problem. I don't know what kind of damage the guy has done to the bike (you can see the metal on the back tire, meaning he ground it down a LOT), but since I would have used synthetic before this thread, he probably would have too. Why is synthetic bad? Any specific motor oil you guys recommend?

Edit: In all my vehicles I used synthetic, including my old motorcycle with a wet clutch (Ninja EX500).
Synthetic oil will work TOO well, meaning the clutch will not grip as you have found out? Its fine for use in the dry clutch Doocat's as - the clutch is dry, does'nt sit in the engine oil. :abduct:

I'm using 15w50 Rock Oil Sigma semi in mine, works well!

Top work, Vickon! :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
You CAN use synthetic oil, it just has to be wet clutch approved m/cycle oil, any car engine oil (or any oil not designed for use with a wet clutch) has certain friction modifiers added to make it more "slippery" so makes the clutch slip. I personally use the Amsoil 20w/50 V Twin m/cycle oil.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wet Clutch Slip...

It did help!!

I drained the old one, added a new one and ran it for about a day, than drained it again and used a good one and it worked like a magic! no more clutch slip!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D <==== real smile :)
Hey lior_baruch,

Glad to hear I could help you resolve this problem. ;)

Best Regards,

·
Registered
692 Posts
Top work...

Synthetic oil will work TOO well, meaning the clutch will not grip as you have found out? Its fine for use in the dry clutch Doocat's as - the clutch is dry, does'nt sit in the engine oil. :abduct:

I'm using 15w50 Rock Oil Sigma semi in mine, works well!

Top work, Vickon! :D
Thank you sir!!! Always glad to give back some help to forum members. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad you got the problem fixed,however I have to disagree that all synthetic non motorcycle oils will cause a wet clutch to slip. I have been running Mobil 1 since the second oil change on my 750ss since 1993. I have been using 20w-50 and outside of normal maintenance, have never experienced any form of clutch problem. I currently have 48k miles of street and trackday miles on this bike. I think that with the newer synthetics you need to steer clear clear of those that offer better mileage and longer engine life, as those brands contain friction modifiers not conducive to good clutch grip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.