Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, it's been a while.

I can't seem to find a part # for the starter on my SS. ND128000-6050 is what some folks say it is, but that's not matching the eBay and Amazon compatibility charts for a 1992 900ss. I'd like to replace mine with something equal to or better than OEM.

Also while looking at old posts it seems a lot of people are saying that their starter issues are related to their sprag bearings and not their starters.

My symptom is that after repeated attempts to fire the bike up it seems to kick the starter out of gear, or that the starter can't turn the engine, especially as the starter gets warmer after 10 or more attempts. Sometimes it will just seem to engage but not turn the engine and other times it seems that the starter isn't strong enough to remain engaged and retracts. To me it seems 100% weak starter, but if any of you think hat sounds like a sprag bearing please let me know.

I have a 480amp battery and heavy duty cables run as short as possible. There was a time when this setup would spin the engine like the plugs were out of it.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
If it takes 10 attempts to start you have other issues, and a lot of patience.
Does the picture in the ad match your starter ? Did you try to contact the seller ? If they list your engine type and years before and after yours then it will probably fit. The fitment lists are usually a joke and very incomplete.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Failing sprag clutch/gear just spins, won't turn over the engine at all. Its a metal whirrr noise. This can come and go for years, but worse on cold days/cold engine.

If the starter motor seems like it is under heavy load but slowly moving the pistons it is probably because the brushes are nearly gone or the one of the wires is just about burnt out. The starters are all the same for 92-98, and it also fits lawn mower tractors, snowmobiles, and all kinds of other stuff on the farm. The starter brushes kit is not expensive and a real pain to install with the starter on the bike but it can be done. To replace the whole starter the left side case must come off to get at the bolts that hold it on. Same with the sprag.

Starter slowly turning over the engine could also be a failing battery or bad grounds. Fully charge the battery and put a load tester on it.

If the starter turns the engine over easily on the first 4-5 tries but it won't fire - well, that's not the starters fault then.

I recommend you replace the wire going to the starter post first, be very careful of that post as it connects directly to the brushes and will not tolerate turning! Clean that post well, but again, don't let the post turn when removing the nut.

Search well for a replacement starter, I ended up paying $85 for one but $150-680 is the price range I found for exactly the same OEM NipponDenso unit which is the best quality you need. Re-manufactured is fine, 90% of the time it just needs cleaning out the dust from the brushes, new oil oring seals and the brush kit.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Equal or better? I would 100% stay oem but would buy a used one as they are very reliable. Buy a good one at a good price but not the cheapest you can find. Most starter failures I find are due to the oil seal allowing oil into the dry motor. You can pull the end cap without removing from the motor to check but it can be a pain.

I agree it sounds much more like a starter clutch and know that the longer you allow it to work/not work the starter clutch is ruining the machined surfaces it locks up on. If you dig in and find the starter clutch is fine you are ready to pull the starter anyway. I replace about 1 starter every 10 years, I replace starter clutches about once a year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

Regarding the multiple start attempts I probably should have clarified that there was 12 month old fuel in the bowls and the bike has 41mm CR's with no choke circuit.

After getting it running last night and replacing the fuel it started right up this morning and ran like a champ, but I think I'm going to replace the starter and the one way bearing as well as the clutch cover that's sweating oil though a growing crack.

Seems there is a KTM crossover for the bearing that's a lot cheaper than the Ducati part, hopefully that true.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The OEM original starters on both my 91 and 95 were ND.

Oil from the clutch cover? Not supposed to be any oil in there.

Yeah, FCR's take a bit of practice to fire when cold. You will get better at it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad, I meant alternator cover. I have a crack that started at a broken stator mount due to a wobbling crankshaft that has slowly made its way upward. Fortunately I have a couple good ones on hand as they seem to be rare for the 91/92 engines.

I had the 41's perfectly synced at idle at one time and it started fairly easily back then, but when hot the engine didn't want to idle down, so I adjusted the idle down in a parking lot using my palm against the pipes to half arse get them even and its been a little fussy to start since.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The bearing number will be etched into the bearing, and there are many online bearing suppliers. Much cheaper that way. I usually check eBay and get name brand bearings cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts