Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About nine months after first inquiring about this bike, the pieces finally fell together and I dragged it across the border from Canada to Michigan today.

I'm the third owner, the second owner had it ten years and put about 500 miles on it. It's no museum piece (tank is dented, some nicks and scratches here and there) but it has zero mods, which is what I was looking for. The pipes and even the grips are still original.

New belts arrived before I even got the bike. The tires look almost new but are 8 years old so those will be replaced. The auto-retract sidestand will be defeated, and a few other things looked after before it gets ridden, but the plan is definitely to ride it!

"That's 25 years old?" - Numerous customs agents this afternoon...

·
Registered
567 Posts
What a beauty. I had a 851 1991 and I loved it. I did pimp mine and installed a 996 engine. Had to sell it as I had difficulties riding it due to back problems. Next to a bevel 900ss and the original 916 its the best looking Ducati ever built.

Jocke.......

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
clean. 851s/888s are the best. still. not that I'm biased or anything. nice addition.

Reactions: 58 burst

·
Matt
668 Posts
That is a beautiful bike...congrats on the acquisition. Love that it is all original and that you value it being all original, and good move with both the tires and the belts. Enjoy the upcoming riding season!

I found my 888 near Toronto and brought it back across the border myself. I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful the Customs & Border Patrol folks were with the paperwork and inspection. I called them ahead of time to verify some questions about the paperwork and they told me not to worry about filling out the forms....just bring my paperwork and they would fill out the forms when I got there. Wow.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Boy those pictures bring back memories...

I was in the garage this morning but didn't look at mine, need to head back downstairs and take it in.

June 1, 2016: 20 years of ownership for me. It's an "estate bike". My heirs will have to get rid of it...

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Boy those pictures bring back memories...

I was in the garage this morning but didn't look at mine, need to head back downstairs and take it in.

June 1, 2016: 20 years of ownership for me. It's an "estate bike". My heirs will have to get rid of it...

September 8th will be 21 since mine was delivered. Holy crap. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Always liked the 851s/888s the best, could not find one last year when I went looking. BTW, you mentioned a dent in the tank, go find one of those body shops around that advertises paintless hail damage repair, those guys so amazing work with those suction cups!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
You'll have to ride that over to Stivers sometime and meet up so I can check it out. Will you be taking it to Stockbridge this spring ?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm pretty excited about this one. It takes me back to when I was completely head over heels about Ducati and bikes in general, basically not so jaded about everything.

You'll have to ride that over to Stivers sometime and meet up so I can check it out. Will you be taking it to Stockbridge this spring ?
Yeah... I don't make it to Stivers much but I am hoping to have it ready before Stockbridge.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Congrats -

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice,

where did you get it (general area is fine) if I may ask

been looking at one myself in the greater Montreal region. Was wondering if it is that one.

rt

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice,

where did you get it (general area is fine) if I may ask

been looking at one myself in the greater Montreal region. Was wondering if it is that one.

rt
This was out of St. Catharines. It was never really advertised so I doubt it's the same one anyone else was looking at. :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm pretty excited about this one. It takes me back to when I was completely head over heels about Ducati and bikes in general, basically not so jaded about everything.
I still contend that an 851/888 with aftermarket pipes still sounds the best of all normal Ducatis (Desmo RR excepted). Something about the spacing between the pipe exits and shape of the end of the can.

The bass from that exhaust will travel literally for miles. I have heard mine with my friends riding it a couple of miles away on a quiet night.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts