Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another Newbie 750 Sport Question

Thanks for all the kind words and advice! The PO tells me that (a) all Pantah's were afflicted with notchy shifting and that (b) the clutch grabbiness is due to a Barnett thicker clutch plate set. I hate the idea that the clutch will be rubbing against itself all that time especially when neutral is so hard to find.

But I will swap out the clutch and brake fluids just so I know when it was done.

My other question is about the fuel pump: Is it supposed to run all the time? On the 851, it primes itself, stops, and then I start the engine. On the 750 Sport, it appears to run and run and run. Bike starts just fine in any case.

I thank you all in advance for your collective wisdom.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
maybe of no help but on my 95 900ss sp the fuel pump runs continuously with the ignition turned on.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My F1, pantah 750........the clutch gets tough to pull in, wouldn't discribe it as grabby, but I take off the cover blow it out with air, both the clutch plates and the cover, then apply a bit of white grease, silcon to the hydrolic piston. Smooth like silk.........good for a season. This was something a tech told me to do 15years ago.Fuel pump.....I've got carbs...great too!

Knotchy gears....sorry dude...mine or perfect........but I pampered the bike. You may need to open her up one day.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If the clutch stack is too high, pull a couple of plates out. I'd do that and leave two springs off- my 750s never made more than 55hp- not enough for the tough clutch pull.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Front end replacement

To improve handling and make purchasing of tires easier, I would like to replace the 750 Sport's front end with a Monster's. What years work? I notice from Falloon's Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins book that in 2000 the forks were upgraded to 43 mm USD, and I am guessing that those will not fit. Are 1999 and earlier OK?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Inevitable and Endless Tire Thread

It is time to replace the tires on the 750 Sport. I think it is still wearing the Michelin's it came from the factory wearing. I am considering Dunlop D208 130/70-16 for the front and D205 150/80-16 for the rear. Will I have to extend my swingarm as the Paso folks have to, or does the Sport have adequate clearance? Has anyone here ever tried this combo on a Sport?

I appreciate any light that can be brought to bear on the subject.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Michelin still makes a59/m59 tires for these bikes. Anything else will not work as well. A 70 series front will rub the fender and make the bike into even more of a chopper.

A few years ago, I got a fresh set for my 750s and they were sticky enough to drag a knee or two at a track day. Still more of a sport touring tire, but the bike is designed around it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Michelins

Tony

If you know of a source for those a/m 59's, I and many others here would greatly appreciate the information! I was operating under the assumption that they were unobtainium.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mark at the DucShop in Marietta can make your Webers sing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Tony

If you know of a source for those a/m 59's, I and many others here would greatly appreciate the information! I was operating under the assumption that they were unobtainium.
I got mine from Big Twin in Boise a couple of years ago. I highly recommend starting there. Those guys rock- if they don't have it, they can get you pointed in the right direction.

The tires had current production dates on them at the time. Not sure if your local shop will let you comb through the distributor catalogs, or maybe call Michelin?

Also, even though I haven't seen one in a while, the paper Dennis Kirk catalog used to have them listed.

If they are indeed NLA, I'd look seriously at changing to 17" wheels.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The rear 16" (160/60-ZR16) are still available from Michelin, but the fronts (130/60-ZR16) were discontinued a couple of years ago. The remaining inventory rapidly evaporated.

Another alternative to the Dunlops would be Avon Azzaros, A45 & A46, I think. They are available in the same size as the Dunlops, slightly higher sidewall then the original Michelin & Perrelli offerings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Exhaust Header Question

Hopefully someone can answer a question about 730 Sport headers. It may or may not apply to Paso headers as well.

The header that came on my Sport (used to me, naturally) is OPEN at the "gore" or place where the pipes all come together. A replacement header purchased off eBay for a reasonable price (to use while the other header is ceramic coated) has a plate welded into the gore.

The cans are Ferracci, and I wonder if the headers and cans are a matched pair. Or perhaps the factory switched from one form factor to another around the time the Sport's came out.

Anyone here have experience with a variation in header designs on the Paso / Sport?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I presume you are talking about the collector? It was a popular mod to take the restriction out of the collector and sandwich steel on the top and bottom.

It never really dyno'd out as a huge improvement, but it looked trick.

Do you have photos?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sweet!

Lovely bike. I'd like a closer look, and since you're a neighbor perhaps you can attend US Desmo events (www.usdesmo.com). Lots of knowledgeable types there, and you'll be amazed at the new roads they've found in the Hiawassee area.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
There was a thread on this, several years ago, about modifying the collector on an ST4, maybe by Dan Greene (seems to stick in my mind). Check the archived ST forum. Anyway, as mentioned, it didn't have a significant effect on a Dyno run.

The orginal Paso mufflers were pretty restrictive, but quiet. I have no idea what wthe Sport mufflers were like. I would be willing to bet that Ducati used the same pipe diameters on the 750 and 906's of that era. If you'd like, I'll measure the exterior pipe diameter of mine. My collector has a solid section of web in the center.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Headers

I measured the stock header on the 750 Sport: 35mm on the ingoing side, 40mm on the silencer side. The pipes that match the FBF cans on the bike are somewhat larger; I'll measure them when they are done being ceramic-coated.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts