Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one this weekend and really like it a lot. How many of you guys own older Ducati's? If so, can you give me some feedback on upgrades and / or modifications? Does anyone know how many of this particular year were imported into the US? Help me, I'm starving for information!!!

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
A friend had a 750 sport. He put 17" Suzuki wheels on it so that he could get decent tires on it. he also ended up cutting off the rear shock mounting ears, turning them around, and welding them back on - to make up for the taller wheels.

Nice bike.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice looking bike. I've always liked that year and color scheme. They seem to be reasonably priced these days, too. Are you in the Rome, GA area? If so, I foresee several trips to the northern mountains of GA. My wife and I were up there this weekend....Dahlonega, Helen, Suches, and that area. You've got some nice roads up there...Hwy 60, Hwy 180, Hwy 348 (my favorite), and the northern section of Hwy 197.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Georgia

Hey Desmo_Demon, no I don't live in Georgia. I travelled up there this past weekend to buy the bike. From there, I went up to Deal's Gap for a day...until my wife called me going crazy from our two kids. Then it was 8 hours back down to South MS.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Nice looking ride. Looks like a lot of parts are shared with the Pasos from that time frame. The clutch slave is under the clutch cover and should be rebuilt (new seal $3.00, cleaned & lube the internal bearings) every couple of years for best performance. Those CI brake rotors look small, if they are 280 mm diameter they are nearly impossible to find, so keep a lookout for them. The brake light hydraulic pressure switches are miserable. They can be replaced with more reliable micro-switches. If the wheels are 16" diameter, then Michelin may be the only tire manufacturer available, although I've heard Avon makes 16" A45/A46 tires. Looks very clean, have a blast!

·
Registered
200 Posts
yellerduck said:
I just bought one this weekend and really like it a lot. How many of you guys own older Ducati's? If so, can you give me some feedback on upgrades and / or modifications? Does anyone know how many of this particular year were imported into the US? Help me, I'm starving for information!!!
Just sold my Sport on e-bay. My 1st Duc, had it for 9+ years. I see you have aftermarket carbs, good thing as the Weber is tough to tune correctly. Michelin still makes the oem tires but they do it in spurts so if you need them you may have to wait or you can go with Avon Azaros, they come in 16" fr & rr. The rear is narrower & about 2" taller then oem so they're tough to mount. The fr is about 1" taller than oem and goes on easy, just have to shim up the fender a bit. I put them on mine and they work very well, more like a 17" tire.

Be careful of the bodywork, can't get it anymore and it's tough to find on the net. Personally I think it's one of the best looking Ducs out there. Love the red/silver combo with the red frame & wheels....still gives me a woodie. :) It gets more comments and thumbs up than my 900sp.

It's 15+ yr old technology but it still holds its own in the twisties and it's quite comfy for weekend rides. Like any Duc you can upgrade the wheels, brakes, forks, shock, etc. depending on the depth of your pocketbook, just may take more time & effort for some of the changes. Keep the original parts tho, makes the bike much more sellable.

According to the Ducati books there were something like 300 imported into the US. I saw one other at a Duc meet several years ago so you won't be seeing yourself riding down the road anytime soon. You should have alot of fun with your new ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duck 750

Thanks George, that is some really useful info. I want to check the valves and am assuming that it should pretty much be the same as later 2 valvers?? I've done the valves on more modern 2 & 4 valvers so I'm hoping I can fake my way through this one. Do you know of any maintenance books? I just ordered one by Ian Falloon, : Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins: Restoration and Modification. It was hard to find and the price was outrageous at some dealers, up to $150. Unbelievably, everything works like new although the clutch sings and whistles, haha. It doesn't use any oil, no leaks and doesn't smoke! Something I can't say for my 01 748.

Also, what do you think of a white frame?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
duc97sp1 said:
Like any Duc you can upgrade the wheels, brakes, forks, shock, etc. depending on the depth of your pocketbook, just may take more time & effort for some of the changes. Keep the original parts tho, makes the bike much more sellable.
I'm curious, but if he wanted to upgrade to newer SS or Monster 17" wheels, would he need to replace the forks with newer ones to match the wheels (basically a complete front-end swap), and would he need to swap the swingarm, too? Any issues with swapping a swingarm and using existing rear shock components?

yellerduck said:
I want to check the valves and am assuming that it should pretty much be the same as later 2 valvers?? I've done the valves on more modern 2 & 4 valvers so I'm hoping I can fake my way through this one.
I'm not sure, but I'd bet money that it is the same as the newer 2V for doing the valve check/adjustment. No idea how old the belts are on the bike, but I'd definitely look into changing those.

yellerduck said:
Also, what do you think of a white frame?
I know the earlier SS900's had issues with cracked frames at the neck tube/steering tube weld, but anyone know if the SS750 had the same problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cracked neck tube

"I know the earlier SS900's had issues with cracked frames at the neck tube/steering tube weld, but anyone know if the SS750 had the same problem?"

Yep, mine is cracked.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
yellerduck said:
"I know the earlier SS900's had issues with cracked frames at the neck tube/steering tube weld, but anyone know if the SS750 had the same problem?"

Yep, mine is cracked.
Ouch....I hope you didn't just now find out. Some people say that it is an easy reweld fix and not worth the effort of a frame replacement (and the labor involved) with trying to get DNA to replace the frame. Is this why you asked about the white frame? Are you planning on getting it welded up and possibly reweld the frame?

Personally, I think the white frames just look *right* on the older SS bikes, but they can be a bare to keep clean. At least the white will be a little easier to touch-up than the gold/grey frames. I think a black frame with a yellow bike looks great and a red frame with a red bike looks good, too.....a silver frame may look pretty good with your 750 with all the silver on the fairings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
frame

yes, I plan on getting it welded and repainted. I thought about silver, but for some reason I want to go with white. It may work out visually because there is white in the large Ducati stickers.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Howdy Yeller':

No surprises with the Desmodomics. They've been the same since 1979 for the belt driven engines, when the prototypes started. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the rockers, cams, etc. were interchangeable with present day 2V. Only thing in the mid/late 80's were the rear exhaust on the rear cylinder. Before that the carbs were on "the back side" of each head.

Hot looking bike. Reminds me of the '85 F1A with a lot of nice trellis frame to gawk at.

·
Registered
200 Posts
yellerduck said:

Yep, mine is cracked.
The early 90s 900ss had problems with the frame cracking at the steering head. They also had a VIN plate riveted to the frame and they cracked at the rivets. Too many wheelies :) From 95 or 96 on the frames were beefed up and somewhere along the line they quit using the riveted plates.

Ducati has been very accomodating with replacing frames long after the warranty expired and depending on the dealer labor was also included. Turn around times for the frames could be lengthy so using a *competent* local welder was an option.

As far as a white frame, I think the early 90s red 900ss with white wheels & frame was a real looker but I don't think it would look so good on the Sport. The red frame & wheels really set it apart, imho.

"Hot looking bike. Reminds me of the '85 F1A with a lot of nice trellis frame to gawk at."
Yup, the Sport was essentially an F1 chassis with "economical" components, ie forks, shocks & the infamous Weber carb.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 1995 Ducati SuperSport 900 SS SP and the frame cracked on it. Ducati did give me a new frame, this was about 7 or 8 years ago. The swing arm also cracked and had to be fixed. Funny... if it was a Honda we would all say it was a lemon but even with these problems it is my favorite bike :think: .

·
Registered
2 Posts
just bought a 750S

thanks for the heads up! dispite all this, however, i bought a 90' 750S anyways. i walked into the dealership to get a lens for my rear turn signal, and walked out with a Duc.
this is my first Ducati, so im crossing my fingers. i think it might be a fabian cortez replica. but i just dont know, needless to say i have alot of reading up to do.

thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
750 Sport Newbie Questions

I just took delivery of a 1990 750 Sport, and I have several questions and observations about the bike .

1. I can unlock the seat, but I cannot lift it up to (presumably) get at the tool-box. Is there a trick to this? I am told the owner's manual is in there!
2. The clutch seems sticky; that is with the lever pulled in the bike will still lug around in gear. Adjustment needed, or will a sticky clutch basket do this?
3. Shifting is definitely notchy. From first back to neutral is well nigh impossible, and upshifts are about a 50-50 proposition. Is this a known defect or can I expect things to loosen up?
4. The bike came with Mikuni's installed. Are there any tuning/rebuilding tips?

I am sure there will be more questions, but I appreciate any response to the above.

Eric

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Bravo on the older bike, just love the design, all facets. The moto screams "Ducati Heritage." Borderline garage queen in my eyes. I love it for its looks, just like my 900ss sp.

Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ha! I traded my '90 Sport for a '92 851 back in the day.

Congrats on a neat bike.

It sounds like some clutch actuation issues- I'd start with a good bleeding, making sure all the master cylinder, slave, etc are working right. Mine was notchy under the best circumstances- Mobil1 oil seemed to help shifting a lot.

Also, I tried an aftermarket slave cylinder and the ratio was too low- it didn't push the pressure plate our far enough to work properly. Someone might have tried this on yours, as the stock pull is pretty, ah, manly.

IIRC, the seat either slides back or flips up sideways- not a normal seat removal.

The Mikunis are probably off of a later 750. A good reliable choice. The Weber that came on the bike can be made to work, but tuning either is a black art.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts