Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have recently purchased a 1989 build date/sold 1990, 900SS. As I am starting to find out there does not seem to be much in teh way of workshop manual information for this vintage.

Firstly I was wondering if the clutch actuation set up can be changed to that of the later bikes. Mine has the slave mounted on the clutch cover housing on the right side whereas the later bikes have it on the left. Is it possible to change it over to the later set up which I have heard is a smoother set up.

If this is not possible the other thing I want to do is ventilate the cover. I know I can easily get a mate to mill some holes or slots in it but I believe the factory race bikes of the era had a certain pattern milled into their covers. Anyone know where I can get a copy or photo of that pattern to keep some form of "originality' for want of a better word.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Fester, I'm sure you've well solved these issues, but to offer an answer for those who may have the same questions:

1) Yes, you can convert to the later arrangement. Ive done so. You'll need a new clutch side engine cover to do so, and the later basket and hub (now alloy) and a push rod, etc.

2) Yes, you can also ventilate the early covers. The racing 851s had the best examples of factory ventilated covers. Pic 1 is a pic I found, looks great but factory? Dunno. Pic 2 is mine. Slightly ventilated.

Hope this helps. See my bike now; thread is: 1989 900ss Performance rebuild. (or something like that)

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts