Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Forza 350, early model, starter in front of the engine.

The starter cable was disconnected and tied back, and the previous owner said it never worked and he always just kicked it. So I opened the case and saw why. Some previous owner has had a problem in there !

There are very obvious signs of damage, something came loose and went bang in a big way. And all the internal starter parts got removed and its now kick-only.

So do I just bolt the cover back on and forget about it, or is it worth trying to get the bits ? (The starter motor itself whizzes round fine when fed 12v. That's using the handlebar button and solenoid, so they work too.)

I bet most of the bits are in some PO's shed !

Alternatively, if its going to be a nightmare to get those bits, does anyone on here need the Forza engine casing, swap me for a standard casing and some beer money ?

--
Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Mike, my thinking would be to leave it as it is and keep an eye open for the parts. Its never a good idea to set out to find these sort of bits as they tend to just turn up when you least expect them too. If its set up properly it will start second kick anyway so a starter is a bit redundant and probably just means more weight and a bigger battery. i suppose its a personal thing really only you can decide what you want/need :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Forza

Hi Mike,

You are missing a few parts from the starter arrangement on your Forza.
There should be an intermediate gear/shaft/Bendix assembly in there .
It also looks like the ring gear on the flywheel is badly damaged, so the flywheel would also have to be replaced.
The early Forzas with the starter motors in front of the crankcases was a very unsuccessful design.
As the starter cranks onto the flywheel, the flywheel has a tendency to spin on the crankshaft, causing damage to both.
As the owner of two Forzas, an early one and a later one, I am very familiar with the starter problems on the early models.
I only ever start the early one using the kickstart.
I would suggest that you simply just use the kickstart as Forzas usually start very easily.
A standard widecase clutch cover could be fitted if you don't like the rather ugly Forza clutch cover.
You could always sell the starter motor to a parallel twin owner.

Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I'll forget about trying to source the parts.

It doesn't look like a very intelligent design. I can figure out how it would work, but its not well implemented, and that pull-thing arrangement into the top of the cases from the massive solenoid looks very Heath Robinson.

I'll keep my eyes open for a later-starter engine.

I live in Spain, and it was a fairly popular model here, so a later engine might turn up. I have seen a couple of complete bikes advertised 'without papers'. One of the consequences of Spain's bike registration system is that if you lose the papers, or ever declare it 'off the road', it costs a fortune to re-register, so there are a lot of barn-finds in useable condition for little money.

Meanwhile, I have a set of new points on the way. Those and some careful timing should get it starting on the kick reliably.

Anybody who wants a Forza casing, starter motor, or solenoid - give me a shout. Given that mine is never going to be working again, I might as well fit a standard clutch cover and lose that ugly sticky-out bit :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts