Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am rebuilding wheels for the first time and am having trouble breaking down the front hub. I have most of the spokes removed from the hub but there are a few that interfere with the central, bearing carrying, section of the hub on each side. I also can't see how new spokes will be inserted. Do the center sections come off the central hub? If so, how? The photo shows the spokes that won't clear. View attachment 979811
Thanks, Stephen View attachment 979811
20200205_173851.jpg

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Yes, the hub comes apart, yours has become corroded. The bearing carrier plates simply push into the hub; try spraying some WD40 and tapping the disc surface, or if you are replacing the bearings, push a rod through the centre, lever the centre tube over and tap on the bearing race.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW I can vapor blast that for ya and make it look like new...
Do you think vapor blasting gives a better look than walnut shells? I am trying to decide between the two.

·
Bon Vivant
11,571 Posts
Do you think vapor blasting gives a better look than walnut shells? I am trying to decide between the two.
I do, I tried walnut shells a few years ago and was very disappointed in the results. I dont think Vapor blasting is the answer for every job but for cast parts the finish that it leaves is by far my preference. The thing I like about it most is how well the aluminum is sealed and how it no longer stains easily or holds grease or oils, cleaning is much easier.

You can see some recent parts we've blasted on the 350 mark 3 D I'm working on now. Vapor Blasting
(I also can press the bearings out and install new ones if you'd like)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do, I tried walnut shells a few years ago and was very disappointed in the results. I dont think Vapor blasting is the answer for every job but for cast parts the finish that it leaves is by far my preference. The thing I like about it most is how well the aluminum is sealed and how it no longer stains easily or holds grease or oils, cleaning is much easier.

You can see some recent parts we've blasted on the 350 mark 3 D I'm working on now. Vapor Blasting
(I also can press the bearings out and install new ones if you'd like)
Do bearings need to be replaced if you vapor blast?

·
Bon Vivant
11,571 Posts
Every bike I build get new bearings throughout the entire bike. always. Even when I'm just doing a clean-up if I have the wheels off on an old bike I replace the bearings in the steering head, swing arm, and wheels.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Every bike I build get new bearings throughout the entire bike. always. Even when I'm just doing a clean-up if I have the wheels off on an old bike I replace the bearings in the steering head, swing arm, and wheels.
Looks like the wheel bearings are about $60/each.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts