Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding the front end on my '73 750 GT. The tapered roller bearings and races are shot. I can't find part numbers or any search results for the Italian bearing number. Any help with finding equivalent parts greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All balls may have a replacement, I would check with Steve at Bevel Heaven, I'm sure he a fix you up.
Thanks very much. I will check with Steve. Just got another reply with the All Balls tapered kit.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Bon Vivant
11,450 Posts
I used to do it by any means I could dream up but now I have a press and the right tools... Maybe take it to a shop so you dont damage anything, shouldnt cost you too much if you dont take it to a motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks very much. Just what I was looking for.
Is there an easy way to remove and replace the steering stem lower bearing?
Just finished this job on my 1995 900ss, similar tapered roller bearing. My steps were...
- Remove the cage and rollers with snips and something to pry with, a common screwdriver works. It’s not pretty but it works.

- Use a Dremel tool with a small cut off disc to cut a notch in the remaining inner race. Cut as deep as you can without damaging the steering head.

- Split the inner race with a screwdriver or chisel in the notch you just cut. Once split it can be removed by hand and used as a drift to safely install the fresh bearing.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bon Vivant
11,450 Posts
I find the following site useful for part identification and Ducati numbers: Back to Classics. This site shows the following specs for the head bearings: View attachment 978263
Be carefull ordering from back to classics though, they do not answer emails and if a part is on backorder they will take your money and leave you hangin...
I'm still waiting on a fender I ordered back in September and they will not answer my emails.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had to send a front guard back to them. It was way off being correct and absolutely no chance of fitting. They did give me a refund. The postman was the winner The fairing and seat base took hours of shaping to get to fit. Cheers
Ian

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts