Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1970 Ducati Mark 3 D pictures (me) and advice (you).

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  flip 
#1 ·
I just picked up this Mark 3 D... found it for sale about 4 hours away! Anyhow... 1300 miles, 1 owner, I believe it is all original besides the battery (not totally sure), starts first kick, runs great!

I guess my question is... should it be restored or not!?

I'd also love to hear anything you know about this model. I've had a really hard time finding info on it. I've only found 1 image from Spain of a Mark 3 D with the handlebars, etc... like mine - most seem to have clip-ons.

All the images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/desmoworks/sets/72157621072024555/

Selected images here:

See less See more
#2 ·
What a beauty! I have a 1968 350MKIIID twin filler that I restored about 20 years ago. While I'm no fanatic I hhav a few clues and can take some photos of bits of my bike if that's a help. As for restoring or not... I'm of two minds, I left my seat as original for many years because I didn't want to change the look but other stuff was just so bad I had to redo it. Having said that I really don't like the look of some of those concourse bikes that are just so perfect they look like they are never ridden at all and may not even run.

#3 ·
Congratulations, that's really quite a find. It looks like everything is there and in fantastic condition. Why restore it? You might as well ride it and enjoy it.

Then at some point, if you're so inclined, you can restore it to concours quality easily. The plastic zip ties have to go, so do the passenger foot pegs, reflectors, throttle and throttle grip, etc. But then again, why bother? You can ride...

#7 ·
Okay so no restoration :)

But what isn't original on it? I know for sure the battery isn't. I'm guessing one of the grips isn't (throttle side?). Anything else?

I'm going to replace tires, change oil, clean inside of fuel tank (some light rust it looks like), replace suspension oil and replace fuel cap (one of the tabs is broken off so it doesn't seal properly).

The brakes feel great, I think the carburetor either needs cleaning or isn't properly adjusted as the idle and low rpm isn't real nice... on the throttle it feels great though.

I don't have a tool kit - I assume there was one in the left side storage box? Any thoughts on where to get one?

#12 ·
But what isn't original on it? I know for sure the battery isn't. I'm guessing one of the grips isn't (throttle side?). Anything else?
this bike is allmost original . the tank is also used on the scrambler models
but some Mark III s where fitted with a scrambler tank .

the Amal carb is not original there should be a 29 mm Dell Orto on it
but its hard to tell if that should be a SSI or VHB type .
early models had SSI fitted and late types a VHB

dont restore this bike . a lot of bikes are overdone after a restoration

Regards Eldert

#8 ·
I found an old black battery that fitted the holder and strap perfectly and cut out the guts and put a new Yuasa inside.

#10 ·
This poster on ebay may be of interest. It maybe an earlier model, but the same set up as yours. Actually, it's a narrow case.
Search: Ducati-250-Mark-3-Single-Poster. Sorry, I was going to put the URL up but it was that long it would have slowed the www.

#14 ·
Domiracer sells a nice poster reproduced from the original Ducati advertisement. I got it professionally mounted, and it resides on an art easel in the living room, because that bike was my first new bike. The poster has about all the detail you want.

#15 · (Edited)
Anthony,
Just for edification, while it looks to be a nice bike, please know that the tank may be incorrect along with a few other minor add-ons (reflectors). That looks to be a Jupitor tanks or maybe a wide case scrambler. All the same, it looks to match in patina so who knows? If it is stock, it'll be a 'first' for me. I'll check my sources to confirm that in some markets, it came in this config. and report back.

In 1969 the first production Desmo single hit the streets with a twin-filler coffin-style maroon/chrome tank followed in '70 with a single filler of the same shape. Depending on your year and serial no., I suspect your bike probably came with the single filler. But it's worth checking out. I mention this only to avert your spending any amount of time and money restoring an incorrect tank. Otherwise, ride it and enjoy. I hope you did check to confirm that the head is well and truly a desmo. If not (springer/desmo heads are completely interchangable, including the marked bearing carrier). You wouldn't be the first to be tricked.

Cheers,

Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL

PS. To all: AMA's Mid-Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days is next weekend in Lexington, off I-71 between Colombus and Cleveland, July 24-26 2009. While BSA is the featured marque under the tent in the infield, come to the Swap Meet area, spaces 105-109 along the fence (right side, near the street and next to Cosmo's Joe as you enter the swap meet area). We'll be there in full force and 'our' featured marque is Duacti Push and Pull rods. We'll have a fairly wide collection of early ducs ranging from the odd Cucciolo, a 1955 98Sport, 98TS, TL, several Bronco 125s and a rare 1957 'dry-sump' 125T and of course a wide smattering of early beveldrive singles as usual. Maybe some parts F/S too!:D

#17 ·
Anthony,
Just for edification, while it looks to be a nice bike, please know that the tank may be incorrect along with a few other minor add-ons (reflectors). That looks to be a Jupitor tanks or maybe a wide case scrambler. All the same, it looks to match in patina so who knows? If it is stock, it'll be a 'first' for me. I'll check my sources to confirm that in some markets, it came in this config. and report back.

In 1969 the first production Desmo single hit the streets with a twin-filler coffin-style maroon/chrome tank followed in '70 with a single filler of the same shape. Depending on your year and serial no., I suspect your bike probably came with the single filler. But it's worth checking out. I mention this only to avert your spending any amount of time and money restoring an incorrect tank. Otherwise, ride it and enjoy. I hope you did check to confirm that the head is well and truly a desmo. If not (springer/desmo heads are completely interchangable, including the marked bearing carrier). You wouldn't be the first to be tricked.
Hehe, I did verify the head... it is desmo thankfully! :D

I'd love to know for sure about the tank... I'm having a tough time finding info - though I've not seen any with a similar tank. I wonder why the reflectors would have been added. They don't look - non stock though so someone was careful in what they picked.

I've seen a couple of references to US 250s coming with these handlebars rather than the clip-ons that seem so common on the Mark 3.

#16 ·
Interesting comments from Shat. I was going to mention the poster I have that looks like the one at http://www.firstkickcycles.com/posters.htm

but figured your tank was nothing like the one in the poster.

My 1968 twin filler is similar to the one in the poster which I guess must be of a '70.

#18 ·
Anthony,
Among my collector friends, three other examples of bikes similar to yours all wide case MK3s point to the tank on yours as being original to your bike. The handle bars too are no doubt original along with the sidestand (though rare on a wide case). What remains in question are the reflectors. Other obvious non-issue items (passenger pegs, carb, zip ties and muffler) can easily be rectified.

I agree with the majority here not to restore it, but rather preserve it.

The period Madison Avenue-style factory decal on tank top is a treasuer in and of itself.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.