Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m painting my 450 single red with chrome insets on tank. in pictures I’ve seen, the headlight ears are chromed. Does this sound right for those who remember? I have two that appear correct but they are painted black, just like my side panels. Speaking of which,I assume that only the exterior panel of the side cases is red, and that for the rest of the box, black is correct.

can anyone confirm these? Currently searching for a local chrome shop to do the tank and headlight ears and probably some other miscellaneous parts.

·
Bon Vivant
11,568 Posts
Reed I'm really glad you are asking these questions and trying to get it right and I sure don't mind helping you. Please trust that my only motivation is to help you learn and get it right, when you start from absolutely no knowledge of these little bikes it's so easy to just go along and do whatever hits you. I'm really glad that you are working on it in the right way and it just so happens that I'm building the same bike right now ( nearly, mine is a 350) You can find most of this stuff in one of the many books out there by studying the pictures also.

Here's the front end, the upper shrouds are painted gloss black and the lower shrouds and lower fork legs are bare polished aluminum. The lower triple is black while the upper triple (both the smooth top for clip-ons and the clamp top for bars) are polished (not chromed). The headlight ears are also bare polished aluminum. The headlight ears are short for clip-ons and long for bars. If yous are short and you need the long ones I have a set that I can trade with you. The short ones are little harder to find and it is likely that yours are long ones that have been cut down. That is a pretty common thing people did to them. there should be a rubber gasket in the top of the each headlight ear to position it on the forks and hold it firm. Getting all of this together and lined up can be a bit tricky.

The side covers are painted inside and out and should not be black at all. I think I said this in the paint thread so I'm not sure if you just dont believe me, but here are some pics of original covers with original paint: there are variations in the color of the triangle stripe, most reference books have them as silver but this one is gold. it is a decal.

And here is my refinished tank and side covers

Hope this helps.

·
Bon Vivant
11,568 Posts
Also notice that the thumb screw is grey plastic (the reproductions are black) and there should be a thick rubber cushion/gasket - this goes on the thumb screw on the inside of the lid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, the tank and the side panels are really beautiful! No, I didn’t doubt you about the side boxes, I probably missed it or forgot! Thank you for the details on the fork, I’m assuming the 450 D fork should be the same. I’m out of town now but later this week I should be able to get back to it and make some headway.

Not nearly a priority, but I’m also trying to figure out the bars for the bike. In a period road test of all three displacements (I think 1969), they mentioned liking the cowhorn bars on the 250 and 350, and disliking the low bars (but they were not clip-ones) on the 450. First problem is, I found the road test on the web, and subsequently lost it. Argh! I think that, ironically, even though the article complained about them, this might be the only direct reference I have seen regarding “correct” bars on the 1969 450 Mark 3 D. Can anyone help with this?

Best regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts