Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I am new and am looking for an upper bevel gear for my 1969 350D Widecase single. There is one on ebay that is for a 250. Perhaps someone can tell me if the 250 bevel is the same as the 350? I do not have a parts book, unfortunately.

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bevel gear

It should be the same gear.Only difference I remember(250 vs 350) is the length of the shaft.regards Bill

·
Registered
281 Posts
These gears were machined as matched sets. On top of that, there were series changes in the angles of the bevel. And finally as Bill says, the 350 tower shaft is longer to accomodate the increase in stroke of the 350 over the 250. My advice is to seek a matched set, whether it be from a trusted supplier or removed from a working head. But sticking any 350 tower up next to an unmatched cam bevel gear is a crap shoot at best and a recipe for disaster. PM ME FOR SOME NAMES.
Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
These gears were machined as matched sets. On top of that, there were series changes in the angles of the bevel. And finally as Bill says, the 350 tower shaft is longer to accomodate the increase in stroke of the 350 over the 250. My advice is to seek a matched set, whether it be from a trusted supplier or removed from a working head. But sticking any 350 tower up next to an unmatched cam bevel gear is a crap shoot at best and a recipe for disaster. PM ME FOR SOME NAMES.
Steve
Plus 1 on that-

I agree completely- The bevels are matched sets, you can shim mis-matched gears, but unless you are VERY experienced in this, I wouldn't suggest it, its hard enough for a novice to re-shim and re-install a set that originally came from the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts