Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

1966 Ducati 250 Discussion

11388 Views 34 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ward
I just wanted to start a discussion on the 1966 250. I found one for sale and thought I might want to find out more about them.

I've read up about them a little bit. Also, I found this website where a guy in Canada restored one.

http://www.mts.net/~jkrocker/Duke/

The one I found runs but is not in great shape. I was thinking of buying it and a project bike, but I'm not so sure about parts and time (on my part).

Anyway, how rare are these? Anything else to comment on these bikes?

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
badass916sp said:
The one I found runs but is not in great shape. I was thinking of buying it and a project bike, but I'm not so sure about parts and time (on my part).

Anyway, how rare are these? Anything else to comment on these bikes?

Thanks.
Which model did you find? Monzas are pretty common, while Diannas and Mach3s are a bit harder to find.

George

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does one tell? I'll wager a guess that it's the less rare of the three, but then again, I can't be sure.

The guy is bringing the bike over soon, by riding it, so I am going to inspect it again and see how it's running.

· Registered
40 Posts
A good start would be to get Mick Walker's Ducati singles book.
Check out this site.
http://www.bevelheaven.com/
Lots of info and knowledge on older ducs, especially the bevels.
The fact that the bike you're looking at is running is a definate plus and may save you some money in the resto proccess. Parts are pretty much available for the old singles. If you're doing all the work, mechanical, buffing, painting, wiring, wheel lacing, etc., it won't be a lot for what you finish with. If you're contracting it out, the single will cost you a fortune.
Here's a pic of my '66 250 Monza after I finished it
http://www.intergate.com/~gbetancourt/album7.jpg
here's a before pic
http://www.intergate.com/~gbetancourt/dmonza1.jpg

George

· Registered
247 Posts
gusanito said:
Here's a pic of my '66 250 Monza after I finished it
http://www.intergate.com/~gbetancourt/album7.jpg
here's a before pic
http://www.intergate.com/~gbetancourt/dmonza1.jpg

George
VERY nice! Was the tank on the before version not the original for that model?

I'll bet its fairly loud, too, with that silencer on it!

One of the great things about the singles is their small size, they are easy to move around, the engine is fairly light, there's not much to them really. Just one set of valves to grind in....

Simplicity is beautiful!

Stephanie

· Registered
40 Posts
dresda said:
VERY nice! Was the tank on the before version not the original for that model?

I'll bet its fairly loud, too, with that silencer on it!

One of the great things about the singles is their small size, they are easy to move around, the engine is fairly light, there's not much to them really. Just one set of valves to grind in....

Simplicity is beautiful!

Stephanie
Thanks, and yes, it's a bit loud.
The bike was one of 3 found in a garage in New England. The others were a 250 Diana and a 450 scrambler. The tank you see on the before pic was from the Diana.

George

· Registered
938 Posts
gusanito said:
Thanks, and yes, it's a bit loud.
The bike was one of 3 found in a garage in New England. The others were a 250 Diana and a 450 scrambler. The tank you see on the before pic was from the Diana.

George
What's the general price range for a pre-resto bike and what is the range for your after resto unit?

· Registered
5,663 Posts
I got my '66 Monza in '98 for $800. It was complete, running, and in fairly decent condition. I quickly fixed all of that and have been SSSLLOOOOWWLLYYY working on it ever since.

· Registered
938 Posts
SP3 said:
I got my '66 Monza in '98 for $800. It was complete, running, and in fairly decent condition. I quickly fixed all of that and have been SSSLLOOOOWWLLYYY working on it ever since.
Can you post up some pic's? Thx.

· Registered
40 Posts
Purspeed said:
What's the general price range for a pre-resto bike and what is the range for your after resto unit?
I have no idea. The bike was given to me and I haven't kept up with what the market will bear after they're all done up. The Dianna and scrambler that were in the garage with my bike were sold together last year for $800. The Dianna was in pieces, as was the scrambler. My buddy's brother inlaw found a 350 Scrambler in the cellar of a house he bought in N.E. a few years ago. He called my friend and asked him if he could remove the bike. We picked up the bike up, and after freeing the frozen rear brake and cleaning the carb, it started right up. Sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time.

George

· Registered
5,663 Posts

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay! I went and looked at the thing! It's a beauty!!

Well, it's in very bad condition, I would say, but it's all there. On the front of the engine it says DM250M1, so I believe it's a Mach 1.

It started right up and runs okay, no smoke. The bike vibrates so much that it was moving on its center stand! (Because the pavement was smooth concrete.) I sat on it and it almost felt as if it was ready to ride... but no front brake, clutch doesn't work, and I'm not too sure about the gearbox either.

The bike has rust or age spots/non-smooth surface all over, although engine looked pretty good.

I was amazed at the seating position. Myfeet were ahead of my butt, slightly, and then I was bent over to the clip-ons. The handlebars are about thumb's length apart... a real cafe racer/death trap! I LOVE IT!!

Guess what the "streeting damper" is?! You just tighten down the round screw atop the steering center column! That makes it harder to turn the wheel.

Amazing bike... I really love it. Just don't know if I can handle all the work to bring her back to life.

Plus, major problem, there are no papers... so I don't know if I can ever ride it on the street, even if I did fix it.

· Registered
5,663 Posts
The steering damper you describe was par for the course on these bikes. Even my lowly Monza has it. All the singles vibrate as you desribe as well.

· Registered
5,188 Posts
I remember the 'steering damper' well, my old 250 Scrambler had the same. The vibrations are normal, mine eventually shook/broke all the 'muffling' out of the can until there was just a tube rattling inside the 'silencer'.

Can you not register a vehicle with no papers in the USA then? if not then what would you do with a personally imported bike?

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be tough to register. One way is to buy another bike, hopefully an old Ducati, and put the plates from that bike on yours. Not really legal, but it would be tough to notice. Even if the cops call it in, they won't know.

Or, you can restore it and just keep it in your livingroom.

In Malaysia, I'd just put any license plate on there and hope I don't get pulled over. If I did, I'd just give the cops some cash... the usual procedure for here.

Looking at an old bike like that, I'd say it's more of a project than something I'd do a lot of riding on. Just putt around on weekends and show it off a bit.

Clearly, a bike with no title isn't worth a whole lot... unless you can find another one with a title and make one good bike.

· Registered
3,281 Posts
I bought my 1967 Norton off E bay with no papers. Had my CHP inspection, plates and pink within 45 days from the DMV.

Whats the big deal ? Sheesh !

DukeDesmo said:
I remember the 'steering damper' well, my old 250 Scrambler had the same. The vibrations are normal, mine eventually shook/broke all the 'muffling' out of the can until there was just a tube rattling inside the 'silencer'.

Can you not register a vehicle with no papers in the USA then? if not then what would you do with a personally imported bike?

· Registered
247 Posts
If is running then its not in bad shape. It is 'rideable' [smile] !

They all vibrate that way. On my 350 when I was nearing redline I could either concentrate on my line through the corner or on keeping my feet on the pegs.

That is what steering dampers used to look like! A nice big knob situated in such a way as to rip yer cobblers off if you were heading over the bars.

Up here in Ontario we used to register a bike with no papers by swearing an afidavit. No problem.

Stephanie

· Registered
40 Posts
bevel450 said:
I bought my 1967 Norton off E bay with no papers. Had my CHP inspection, plates and pink within 45 days from the DMV.

Whats the big deal ? Sheesh !
Some states require proof of previous registration. Sometimes it's difficult to find any kind of papers when you're pulling an old bike out that's been sitting in a barn for the last 30 years. These guys can help.

http://www.its-titles.com/index.htm

George

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.