Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Wow ! That’s pretty cool. Let’s see the bike .

·
Administrator
13,030 Posts
I couldn't resist looking at what is at the address now where you bought the bike in San Francisco...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things change. Back in 1961, I would run in to SF on Friday or Saturday night and listen to folk music at The Hungry I.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Phone number: Fillmore-60122 HA!

You young-uns prolly didn't know US phone numbers used to start with two letters, signifying two numbers on the telephone dial. All numbers in a given exchange, or geographic area of town, had the same two letter prefix.

Reactions: Paddlefoot64

·
Registered
22 Posts
Phone number: Fillmore-60122 HA!

You young-uns prolly didn't know US phone numbers used to start with two letters, signifying two numbers on the telephone dial. All numbers in a given exchange, or geographic area of town, had the same two letter prefix.
Yes ours was AT2-2000. AT stood for Atwater, I guess the name of the exchange.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I'll bet there are few Ducatis that have been with the original owner as long as this one.
I would go out on a limb and say you may be the ONLY one for that long a period. Someone prove me wrong. How cool is that?!? More photos and videos, please, sir.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To those who asked for photos --
I would borrow a camera and post photos if there is something specific you'd like to see. There are plenty of pictures of restored 200 Super Sports on the Web that look much better than mine, if you are just interested in seeing what that model looks like. Mine is original, except:
1. When the original low quality paint and chrome peeled off, I repainted it blue with a grey frame.
2. When the original Silentium muffler fell apart, I replace the exhaust pipe with a longer one from the Scrambler and tacked on a shorty muffler.
3. I created a larger plate for the rear light and license plate because the Washington state plate wouldn't fit on the original.
4. I (probably foolishly) removed the aluminum covers from the rear springs and had the springs chrome plated.
Otherwise, it looks like it did the day I bought it, and the way the restored ones look today.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Well, Lee, I thought still having the bill of sale and the bike was pretty cool. Especially since I always regret selling any vehicle. I thought it would be nice to see the bike, owned by one guy all this time. But, if you don’t want to show it to us ......

Reactions: flynbulldog

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
I would borrow a camera and post photos if there is something specific you'd like to see. There are plenty of pictures of restored 200 Super Sports on the Web that look much better than mine, if you are just interested in seeing what that model looks like. Mine is original, except:
1. When the original low quality paint and chrome peeled off, I repainted it blue with a grey frame.
2. When the original Silentium muffler fell apart, I replace the exhaust pipe with a longer one from the Scrambler and tacked on a shorty muffler.
3. I created a larger plate for the rear light and license plate because the Washington state plate wouldn't fit on the original.
4. I (probably foolishly) removed the aluminum covers from the rear springs and had the springs chrome plated.
Otherwise, it looks like it did the day I bought it, and the way the restored ones look today.

hmm, that seems to me to be a lot of changes from original...

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts

hmm, that seems to me to be a lot of changes from original...

Cool to see an old duc in the original owner's possession

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Mr. Kolb wasn't claiming the machine was all original only, that he is the original owner.

As for its condition, and my request for more photos, I have no problem with the changes made to it over time. I prefer to see that over another (many times) over-restored example.

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
I have no problem with what anybody does or doesnt do to their own bike. Wasnt trying to be negative about the OP's bike, I think what he has and has done is great.:wink2:

As for my own taste, I love to see bikes beautifully restored to day 1 condition over old grungy machines or even worse, bikes that have been tarted up to look like they have patina that was never there... Patina, rust, grunge etc. is not original

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I registered at this site and created my original post in hopes of making contact with others that owned or were familiar with the narrow case singles of the early 1960's. I haven't used my bike since 2002 when we moved to South Carolina and the obstacles to getting an operator's license here were more than I wanted to take on. Now I just want to get ir running right and pass it on to a much younger family member, and I was looking for a little help. I will post a few more photos when I get the wiring issue solved.

To those who were impressed with how long I hold onto something I owned and loved -- I still have my 1965 VW Microbus acquired in 1969, and sold, just prior to our move her, my 1957 AC Ace Bristol that I owned and drove since 1964.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
... As for my own taste, I love to see bikes beautifully restored to day 1 condition over old grungy machines or even worse, bikes that have been tarted up to look like they have patina that was never there... Patina, rust, grunge etc. is not original
And I, on the other hand, love most those bikes that are authentically grungy. Patina, grunge, even rust, developed though actual usage, make a beautiful machine. If it's mostly rot from being neglected, badly stored, etc. no, not so much. But there are few things so wonderful and interesting than a bike that has mileage over a long time, that has been used, and modified *for* use, to better suit the owner's riding -- these are great machines.

We all have different tastes, but that's mine.

PhilB

Reactions: Brass Monkey

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
real 'patina' is fine with me. fake patina, the painted-on rust and the like, is absolutely moronic. properly-restored machines are equally appreciated.

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
real 'patina' is fine with me. fake patina, the painted-on rust and the like, is absolutely moronic. properly-restored machines are equally appreciated.
The real question is what is "over restored"? Modern paint is always going to be a bit better than the old stuff but how bad was it really? I dont think we tend to give paint from the 60's and 70's the credit it deserves. And old bikes had a lot more chrome and polish than is popular these days so bikes with a lot of shine get blasted as over-restored when the reality is they were much more flashy than we currently want or like. Ducati singles had chrome wheels and polished hubs, polished fork legs, triple clamps, and engine cases. Lots of chrome too, foot controls, handle bars, shock springs, headlights and even gas tanks on some models. The colors were bright and when new they were very glossy and flashy. People push the notion that old ducs had poor quality finishes and maybe they didnt hold up to the abuses that owners used to put them through but when new they were nice and looked very flashy

A few years back someone posted a 78 900SS that was found new in its original crate. They uncrated it and took some pics - and if that bike was taken to a show today there's no doubt it would have been branded as over-restored. The glossy finishes, chrome, and polished aluminum was amazing.

In my eyes that was what a real original bike looked like when it was new - and to me years of faded paint and crusty aluminum is not original - even if the bike is unrestored.

I do see bikes that are over-restored, maybe a few extra parts chromed or polished, or gloss paint where satin was correct. But I see far more these days that are dulled- down to fit our modern perceptions and tastes and even more that are faked to look old. I'd rather the slightly over restored versions myself...

I recently met a guy that buys used parts with just the right patina and pieces bikes together to pass them off as original survivors. The faked builds or "counterfeits " really get under my skin. If you're gonna build something, fine build it the way you want - but dont lie about it and try to pass it off as something it isnt.

apologies to Lee R. Kolb for the tangent. Please ask your questions, we will try to help :wink2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is what my Ducati looks like today (first two pictures).
The first question I as going to ask was where I could be getting 80 ohms between the positive battery terminal and ground with the points open and the battery current indicator lamp removed.
Today after taking a magnifier to the wiring schematic on the inside of he headlight cover Photo #3) and some more probing, I found one of the rectifier diodes was the shorted.
So I have a different question. Is it possible to find a replacement selenium rectifier (in the interest of keeping the bike "original")? Or should I just put together a rectifier using silicon diodes?
Or would it be a better solution to try to adapt a rectifier/regulator combo from a newer model? As you can see from the schematic, there is no voltage regulator on this model.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts