Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys... does it fit? anyone tried it? about to take advantage of a pricing deal and it's ending quickly. need answer asap. GRAZIE!!!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
im pretty sure a 190 will fit. it'll slow down the handling a bit though

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have one "pretty sure"... anyone know for sheezy? :D (that thing can handle a little slower turn-n methinks.)

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running a 190 tire, but its on a 6inch BST wheel. On long right hand turn on the track I have noticed the chain is shaving the edge of the tire. That was common on my supermoto race bike. You may want to consider is: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0302_rear_motorcycle_tire/index.html
thanks Mooner!! I think my hyper could deal with a little more traction (or I could be a little more careful with my throttle) but mostly I like the look. I took off from a light a few days ago and did a full burnout in 1st gear... that was a first(unintended) from me on any bike... :D So maybe this 190 tire will tame that irrational exuberance a little

·
Registered
25 Posts
I`m running a dunlop gpa 190.1 tooth down on the front sproket and she fits perfect.
the gpa are made to fit on a 5.50-6.00 rim where as other 190 tires are just made for a 6.00 rim.. i think. i run the gpa's on my race bike(600) i would stick with 180 for the hyper

·
Registered
545 Posts
190 on a 5.5" rim isn't going to give you any more straight line traction and, contrary to popular belief, doesn't slow your turn in. On the 5.5 rim the tire get's pinched, which changes the tire's profile, making it taller. Any width increase is offset by increased triangulation of the tire profile. And a more triangulated tire actually falls over quicker, not slower. There was a write up on this in Sport Rider a while back.

As others have said, your biggest issue is going to be clearance (and geometry if the tire is much taller).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Adding weight to a tire is the _worst_ place on the bike to add weight. The
rotating mass has lots of inertia and must be spun up by the motor (more
power loss) and spun down by the brakes. This is why lightweight wheels
are such a big deal... and the tire mass is even more significant because
it is further out from the rotational center.

I would check the tire weight specs for going from 180 to 190 on the same
type of tire before even considering this kind of change. Like others have
mentioned, it won't add any traction on an undersized wheel rim.

To me, if after a wider "look", certain tires do look meatier than others.
When I switched to the Pilot Power 2CT, and park it next to the stock
Corsa III 180, the rear tire on mine appears bigger and wider just due to the
shape and tread pattern (the section widths do vary a few mm from brand-
to-brand).

·
Registered
592 Posts
not sure about road rubber, i doubt a 190/55 slick would fit as they are so tall. try a dunlop sporttec 180/55, they are WAY taller than even a pirelli supercorsa. gives great lean angle and traction.

I'll take a photo later with a 3 profiles of tyre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts