Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue with my 2016 1200S a couple months ago taking it in to the dealer for the 18K service, the bike has just under 13K miles on it. I had gone about 25 miles then stopped for gas, after fill up the bike was dead. Thinking it was my finicky key fob I went for the ignition switch to get it going with the PIN code but still nothing, no dash, no lights, completely dead. I had some tools brought to me to see if I could diagnose something. The multimeter indicated the battery had 12-13V. After about 45 minutes of trying suddenly the bike came back to life. Except, the settings had reset; clock, dash day/night display, suspension presets. But it did start easily so I continued to the dealer and dropped it off, explaining this new issue to them.

In the 2 months the dealer had the bike, they did the belts, valve adjust, a few valves needed adjustment, and did some warranty work. I have the Aegis Armor warranty that essentially covers mostly everything. I had the fork seals replaced for the second time under warranty, the fuel gauge, and the key fob under a Ducati recall. The dealer also successfully argued with Aegis that the right front fork was 'grooved', a factory defect, and it needed to be replaced or the fork seals would just start leaking again in a few thousand miles.

I'll mention the dealer is A&S Ducati/BMW/Triumph in Roseville, CA. A&S was asking $2700 for the full Desmo 18K service, I opted for just the belts (5 years on the bike) and a valve adjust for $1320, plus $80 to reset the service light and do an update to the ECU. They felt the key fob and update would solve the start up issue.

I picked up the bike today and put about 20 miles on it before stopping for lunch. An hour later I went to start it and the bike was dead again, same as before, this time it never started. A&S was very helpful and sent a van to pick it up, will dig in to it next week. Fortunately I still have a week left on the warranty so if it is a fried ECU or other issue it should be covered. This morning before I picked it up, A&S had called and said they ran into the clock reset issue themselves and were doing a second update on the ECU, which they felt had resolved the issue. They put about 5 miles on the bike during testing. It started normally when I picked it up.

A&S has been very helpful through this process, the warranty work was over $3K, fork legs are expensive! This issue with the bike not powering up is obviously not from any work they did, but some intermittent issue, maybe a full out failure now.

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue or has suggestions? It feels to me like the ECU is gone, possible a thermal issue?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Could be the white connector for the starter relay. All the bike's power passes through this connection. The white plug gets hot and actually melts inside causing a complete power loss. Sounds like what your bike is doing. Ducati has a work around fix with a separate fuse. Cheers Here is thread:
HELP!!!! MTS in Cardiac Arrest!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was hoping it was something as simple as this. Have had the same issue on my VFRs and just ended up removing the connector and wiring direct. I'll let the dealer know, the Ducati fix should be covered by my warranty. Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the white connector for the starter relay. All the bike's power passes through this connection. The white plug gets hot and actually melts inside causing a complete power loss. Sounds like what your bike is doing. Ducati has a work around fix with a separate fuse. Cheers Here is thread:
HELP!!!! MTS in Cardiac Arrest!!!!
I sent the SB to the dealer and they called today and confirmed this was the issue. They're going to take care of it under warranty, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts