Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Olympia, WA and its a little journey to the nearest Duc shop, but my two awesome friends got me a new rear tire for my wedding present in July... They both ride Hondas, and naturally they took it to the Honda shop in Oly for a new tire. After I broke the new tire in (to the very edge) I was inspecting my lack of a "chicken strip" after a nice hard and curvy ride and noticed a strange pattern taken out of the side of my new tire where it comes to the point. I wasn't sure what was going on until I was inspecting it closely then noticed that the chain was actually making contact with my tire (or would if even the slightest sideplay occurred). I took it into the Honda shop and he showed me some forums of guys with the same problems... But I didn't have any issues on my old 180 tire. So eventually he convinced me that it was just the wrong size which technically it is) and it would be fine. Not satisfied though, I went home and was frustrated for a few days, then had a revelation to see if I could find a way to adjust my front sprocket to move the chain out... Well I just flipped the front sprocket and it have me just a few more mm, but it was plenty, and I've got all the clearance in the world... The chain is still aligned well and isn't wearing in any strange way. They insist that they didn't remove my front sprocket at Honda, which I believe as it would be strange if they did, so how did my old Bridgestone (I think???!) 180 fit before and now I needed to flip the sprocket for the new Michelin Pilot 180 to fit now? I believe both tires have actual measurements of 183 mm or something... Anyway, any input?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Everybodies tires are a little different. It's rubber, so there's bound to be some variation from one brand to another.

You went from a Bridgestone to Michelin, do they both have the same height ratio, ie. 180/XX -17 ? The XX would be the percentage of tire width to height or for a 180/50-17,

0.50 x 180 mm = 90 mm = 3.54".

More importantly, when you flipped the front sprocket, is the chain still in alignment? Offsetting the front sprocket from the rear will wear out the chain and both sprockets in short order.

·
Registered
662 Posts
.... 180 fit before and now I needed to flip the sprocket for the new Michelin Pilot 180 to fit now? I believe both tires have actual measurements of 183 mm or something... Anyway, any input?
The stock tire size is the 170/60/17. The 180/55s fit fine on the pre-99 SSs so I would guess they should as well on '99s and later. However, like Jack said, it could be a bit of a squeeze with certain brands. I don't understand the sprocket flipping thing. I can't visualize being able to put it in backwards with the set screws and locking plate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not all 180/55 tyres are the same width. There is a significant difference between brands and from personal experience Bridgestone and Pirelli fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand the sprocket flipping thing. I can't visualize being able to put it in backwards with the set screws and locking plate.

The front sprocket I have is is bored and threaded all the way through the sprocket so the set screws can be affixed through the lock plate on either side of it... I replaced the rear with a Renthal, so I believe they gave me a Renthal front sprocket as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I run a 180 Michelin Pilot Power on the back of my '99 900 with no issues. Never flipped the sprocket either. Not sure where your problem lies, but a 180 Michelin shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everybodies tires are a little different. It's rubber, so there's bound to be some variation from one brand to another.

You went from a Bridgestone to Michelin, do they both have the same height ratio, ie. 180/XX -17 ? The XX would be the percentage of tire width to height or for a 180/50-17,

0.50 x 180 mm = 90 mm = 3.54".

More importantly, when you flipped the front sprocket, is the chain still in alignment? Offsetting the front sprocket from the rear will wear out the chain and both sprockets in short order.

The width to height ratio would not change the actual width though (as the true width of the tire is what put the edge into the path of my chain), but nonetheless the ratio was actually the same on the old and new tires, and when I had the shop show me the factory dimensions on the Bridgestone and Michelin for a 180, they were the same (at 183mm I believe)...

Since I have flipped the sprocket I have not noticed any abnormal wear or metal shavings, and it sights to be in alignment just as well as before, maybe better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a 180 Michelin Pilot Power on the back of my '99 900 with no issues. Never flipped the sprocket either. Not sure where your problem lies, but a 180 Michelin shouldn't be an issue.
Just curious, what sprockets (make) are you running?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This might be a stupid question but is the rear wheel aligned properly? Also is the conical washer on the sprocket side of the rear wheel? The front sprocket should be flat on the side the retainer plate bolts to, If the boss was facing out it was on backwards to begin with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This might be a stupid question but is the rear wheel aligned properly? Also is the conical washer on the sprocket side of the rear wheel? The front sprocket should be flat on the side the retainer plate bolts to, If the boss was facing out it was on backwards to begin with.
Wheel and else is all correct... And yes the boss was out before I flipped it... Thanks for solidifying that this is the correct way... I put it on this way (no really I swear!) maybe the Honda tech got carried away and took the whole chain off and flipped the front sprocket... Or maybe I'm crazy. Thanks though!

It is strange though because the service manager there showed my a dozen forum post with people with the same issue... Not sure what forum though.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts