Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a total newbie here, but want to replace tires on my first street bike, as the current metzlers are ancient. A place I found will sell a set of Bridgestones BT016s for $164, but not with a 170 rear, rather , a 180. I've read some old posts, but am looking for a definitive answer. Will the increased radius be somehow worse than the current giant turning circle? Will it work? rub something it shouldn't?

Also, Im looking to replace a very worn chain and sprockets. I'm really still learning to ride, and on a budget, so just looking to not throw a chain and put a hole in the case. I've seen chain/sprocket kits on eBay for cheap, and wondering how little I can spend and get something decent. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Power 180/55-17 rear on my '93. Theres not muth space to the fender but theres no rubbing. Havent run a 170 so cant tell you about the ride.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hell no go the 180
180 has 5mm more on either side might not turn in as driectly but I doubt you will notice the difference

Im going a 190 on rear of my monster I wanted a 200 but it is too tight

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello, I'm a total newbie here, but want to replace tires on my first street bike, as the current metzlers are ancient. A place I found will sell a set of Bridgestones BT016s for $164, but not with a 170 rear, rather , a 180. I've read some old posts, but am looking for a definitive answer. Will the increased radius be somehow worse than the current giant turning circle? Will it work? rub something it shouldn't?

Also, Im looking to replace a very worn chain and sprockets. I'm really still learning to ride, and on a budget, so just looking to not throw a chain and put a hole in the case. I've seen chain/sprocket kits on eBay for cheap, and wondering how little I can spend and get something decent. Thanks in advance!
Different tyres from different manufacturers all have different profiles. Some 180s will clear, others won't. If you can't get someone to tell you from first hand experience here you might want to see if a good Duc mechanic in your area knows.

I assume you're referring to slow speed u-turns? If so it's not going to affect your turning circle. That is a product of limited steering lock which is common to most sportsbikes which are designed for going around corners at speed; low speed handling is not high on the list of most Ducati sports-bike owners priorities.

You should be fine with any reputable brand of chain and sprockets such as D.I.D, RK or EK etc... Trying to snag some sort of ultra cheap bargain on no name crap isn't advisable on critical components.

Going down 1 on the front or up 3 on the rear over stock is very worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
If you have an SP with the wider rear wheel (5.5 inch width) you're good to go. I've had Bridgestone and Pireiis on it. Pireiis Rosso II now.

Bob

·
Registered
692 Posts
180 rear tire...

As Bob said, if you have a 5.5" rear rim you're good. If you have the 4.5" I wouldn't go with the 180. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would throw a case saver in while your replacing sprockets. Cheap insurance against a hole in the case.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Chain & Sprockets...

My .02 cents!

I recommend you Chris or Candice from California Cycleworks! I recommend you the D.I.D. X-Link 98. I just got one from them along with the rear steel sprocket and yes!!!! You want to replace both sprockets (frt.&rr) along with the chain. Also, something I did a long time ago for my "piece-of-mind" is purchasing the "Engine Case-Saver"!!! Do it!!! It's good prevention just in case!!!;) You can purchase all of the above for close to or less than $200.00

Vickon:abduct:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought my last two chains from Indy Superbikes (google it). I don't know how they can sell them as cheap as they do, but I don't mind.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
180 is the correct tire size, according to all the tire manufacturers, for a 5.5" wide rear rim. Ducati chose to use OEM a 170 because...:think:. I hate to think how ancient your Metzlers are. Mine, on the FE I bought last fall, had date codes of '01 on the front, '02 for the rear. Hard as rocks :eek:!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mine had Bridgestones fitted when I bought it and and I fitted them again when the first wore out. I found them to be a little too wide. Rough measurement was 183mm on a 5.5" rim and could see where the chain just clipped the edge of the tyre and there is a rub mark on the inside of the rear hugger.

I am a Pirelli fan and found these to be a little narrower (176mm) and no troubles with tyre clearance.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Excellent info, been trying to work out why sliding in left turn... yes chain is touching the tyre ever so lightly... Dealer fitted Battlax 016 195/55/17 and assured me it was ok lol
Rgds
William

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thank you all for the help!:)
I bought a set of Bridgestone bt016's with the 180 55 17 rear, and now all I have to do is figure out a way to get the bike off the ground so I can take the wheels off, and get the chain and sprockets ordered.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Different tyres from different manufacturers all have different profiles. Some 180s will clear, others won't. If you can't get someone to tell you from first hand experience here you might want to see if a good Duc mechanic in your area knows.

I assume you're referring to slow speed u-turns? If so it's not going to affect your turning circle. That is a product of limited steering lock which is common to most sportsbikes which are designed for going around corners at speed; low speed handling is not high on the list of most Ducati sports-bike owners priorities.

You should be fine with any reputable brand of chain and sprockets such as D.I.D, RK or EK etc... Trying to snag some sort of ultra cheap bargain on no name crap isn't advisable on critical components.

Going down 1 on the front or up 3 on the rear over stock is very worthwhile.
True!!! QUOTE=damossguy;1325343]Different tyres from different manufacturers all have different profiles.

I buy RK with Renthal sprockets and remember this all Tires need to warm up to be good! Surface Temps/Air temps = Tire Performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts