Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is enough clearance (chain, hugger, etc) with a 180 Michelin Pilot Power on a 96 900SS with a 5.5" rim?

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add to that: I remember years ago that some brands of tire would have clearance issues on 91-98 900SS's with the 5.5" rim, but others would be fine. That's why I'm asking.

Also, it seems like I get to the edge of the 170 Pilot Power way too easy - and way before the edge of the front.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Not sure about the clearance issues, but a 180 will definately fix all your other concerns. It's the size tire that's supposed to be on that rim. You'll love it. If clearance is an issue, try a Pirelli Corsa III or similar. They have a different shape that will help with your concern.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am running a 190 pilot power on my '95 900ss with the 5.5 rim but the hugger does not fit. I have heard that you can fit the hugger with a 180 but I have not personally tried it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
giday

ca i chime in... anyone have thoughts on the which is the better tyre size for an ss, the 170 or the 180,

cheers, just kik'n back with a long neck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stick with the 170, the bike will turn better. It is pretty common not to use all the front on the 900s, and many other bikes for that matter. Tonly time I use all my front is on the track but I push pretty hard on the front. I use pilot powers on my 900FE and use a 170. The 900 is a slow turning bike so much so that I use a 60 front profile versus the stock 70. Regrding fit, a 180 Mich will clear the chain, but a Dunlop might be a problem. Besides, I dont like a chain running that close to the tire with it throwing a little chain wax on to that outside edge.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The 180 is the correct size for the 5.5" rim. I switched to that on my '97 SS/SP track bike and much prefer it over the 170. You will have no chain/hugger clearance problems (with the Michelin) and more stability and confidence at full lean. The bike will turn in a bit slower, but raising the rear (longer shock) or dropping the front (raise forks in triple clamps) are better solutions for that issue than a 170 rear tire. If you do lower the front you will lose some ground clearance at full lean, but this should not be a problem on the street, just at the track. That's why I run a longer than stock Penske shock.
Joe

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
180 is fine, but if you want to turn in better go for Pilot Races. Their profile especially front, makes turn ins much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info.

I have my Ohlins rear shock adjusted longer almost as far as it goes and my front end is a little lower than most I've seen so I'm not worried about turn in too much.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a 180 Bridgestone on mine and it touched the hugger and chain. Out of curiosity, I found that Bridgestone's website said the actual Tyre width was 183mm.

I am a Pirelli fan so when I was due to change, I looked for Pirelli info and they don't state the actual width. I went with a Super Corsa Pro - same 180 and roughly measured the tyre - it came to about 176mm and no clearance or rubbing anywhere.

I had a look at the Michelin website and they are pretty much the same as Pirelli - no actual width measurements.

No first hand experience with Michelin but I can say that the Bridgestone I had on the rear of my 93 rubbed the hugger and touched the chain and the 2 Pirellis I have had don't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run a Pilot 170 on my '93 750SS no issues, on my '92 907IE I'm running a Pilot 180 and it fits perfectly, no issues and feels great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 91 900ss with a 180 pilot power on a 5.5 rim. It clears the chain and hugger. The profile makes it have a narrower straight line contact and steeper angle sides which makes a improvement in handling as of flickability side to side while being you have the back raised and the front lowered some stability may be lost but nothing a steering stabilizer would not fix. I use a dunlop 180 and it started cutting into the hugger and to close on the chain I talk to a dunlop rep. and basically there 180 measurement is almost a 190 which is why it had clearance problems

my vote is a 180 55 17 pilot power rear
120 70 17 front 70 profile because rims are soft

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm running a 180 Pilot Power 2CT on my 99 900SS without problem. At first it was rubbing against the hugger a bit, but after a bit of readjustment it clears fine. I wanted to try the dual compound tire, and it was not available in the 170. There is another thread going on this same topic now.

·
Registered
836 Posts
180 pilot power 2ct on a 95 900ss here and i like it over the 170, alot of the turn in is also HOW you ride the bike, i hang off my bike and it turns fine :) the 170 was ok but i found the 180 more responsive on the right tyre pressure, i had pirelli corsa 3's before this and they are roughly the same in compound but im finding the pilot power wears better and doesnt flatten out the middle as fast.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i really like the bridgestone bt-016. has anyone fit
a 180 on a carby? i have a 98 ssfe.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
A 180 series tire is heavier than a 170 by at least 1 pound. Simple physics says that your bike will accelerate slower with the heavier tire. See the Hall of Wisdom article "free magnesium wheels". I have not tried both sizes, so I can't say anything about personal experience.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Stick with the 170, the bike will turn better. It is pretty common not to use all the front on the 900s, and many other bikes for that matter. Tonly time I use all my front is on the track but I push pretty hard on the front. I use pilot powers on my 900FE and use a 170. The 900 is a slow turning bike so much so that I use a 60 front profile versus the stock 70. Regrding fit, a 180 Mich will clear the chain, but a Dunlop might be a problem. Besides, I dont like a chain running that close to the tire with it throwing a little chain wax on to that outside edge.
+1. The dunlops, at least 208's and earlier, typically run large. The bt016 in a 180 size fits my 1992 perfectly. And is a great tire too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
180pp...

180/55 on my 1991 900ss and love it! :D That you will accelerate slower from a light! or that you will turn significantly better with the 170... :think::rolleyes: Oh Come on!!! unless you are measuring your 100 meter sprint!!! or you are riding the street like a strip!!! Go with the 180's and they fit perfectly with the hugger installed!:D I really want to catch a 900ss with some 170's to see if it really is going to beat me off the light!!! yeah right!!!:p:D

180's Michelin Pilot Power!!!

Good luck!

Vickon:abduct:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts