Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
On the 996sps I only use 180/55-17 on my PVM 5.75" x 17" rim Supercorsa SC2 (track bike)

On the 999s I ride street only and 180/55-17 OEM forged wheel.

I feel safer on the 180's Vs. the 190's at a full lean and power coming on hard.

I think many would be surprised that the "contact patch" difference between the two tires are almost the same, on the rim width that compromises the 190's.

Sticking that big 190 on anything less than a 6" wide rim becomes a waste of money, at least for me. Good poser factor though......

I am in the A group at trackdays on the 996sps, I loose no traction with a 135rwhp motor with my correct sized rear tire, the 180-55-17, I've run them both at the track and the street.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why not go with the Pirelli Diablo Superbike 190/60 R 17?

You won't get much closer to the 16.5" profile than that while using 17" wheels...

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
On the 996sps I only use 180/55-17 on my PVM 5.75" x 17" rim Supercorsa SC2 (track bike)

On the 999s I ride street only and 180/55-17 OEM forged wheel.

I feel safer on the 180's Vs. the 190's at a full lean and power coming on hard.

I think many would be surprised that the "contact patch" difference between the two tires are almost the same, on the rim width that compromises the 190's.

Sticking that big 190 on anything less than a 6" wide rim becomes a waste of money, at least for me. Good poser factor though......

I am in the A group at trackdays on the 996sps, I loose no traction with a 135rwhp motor with my correct sized rear tire, the 180-55-17, I've run them both at the track and the street.
+1. 180/55 is the correct tire for your 5.5" rim and there is no argument for a wider tire with the low power output of a 749. When I bought my S4Rs it had a 190/50 incorrectly fitted and changing to the correct size was a revelation. Comments below from my review of the new tires (Pirelli Diablo Rosso's)

"The immediate sensation from the Pirellis was of their neutral steering. In fact, since I had had a too wide a tire in the past on the rear I hadn’t realized how much I had adapted to the steering idiosyncrasies that come as a consequence. In the first few turns I felt like I was going to fall over because I had become accustomed to feeling the resistance to turn-in of the fat Michelin as it moved onto the broad side of the tire. This had made turning a two stage process. Part one was turn in and stabilize against the resistance and part two was to make another steering effort to roll further over on the tire."

·
Registered
120 Posts
At my last trackday event I could have swore the tire vendor said he was only carrying 190/??(not sure of the ratio aspect). HE said everyone has found that this is better than 180/55. I couldn't believe that they would be so absolute.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If you go from a 180 to a 190 sized tire, you add at least one pound to your wheel at the most critical area. You will be slower on acceleration with a 190 vs. a 180. You could even use a 170 tire and save another pound or so. Turn in will be slower with the wider tire as well, so I have heard.

Further, Pirelli Diablo tires are heavier than Dunlop Qualifiers, which in turn are heavier than Bridgestone BT016. The Bridgestone front tire is about 2 pounds lighter than the Pirelli, for example. I do not know about Michelin yet. See the "free magnesium wheels" thread in the Hall of Wisdom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since this thread is alive and kicking, Ive read that people who put a 190/55 on their 749 have had to get longer chains because the rear tire was scraping on the swingarm, and Ive also read that people had to either raise the front or lower the rear to even everything out!! Is this true?

·
Registered
835 Posts
im on 190/50 imma try 190/55 next!!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
If you go from a 180 to a 190 sized tire, you add at least one pound to your wheel at the most critical area.
Actually, I recall a test that showed that the 190 was lighter, not heavier, by one lb. But of course that depends on the manufacturer and model.

Tom

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since this thread is alive and kicking, Ive read that people who put a 190/55 on their 749 have had to get longer chains because the rear tire was scraping on the swingarm, and Ive also read that people had to either raise the front or lower the rear to even everything out!! Is this true?
no.

i ran some 180 michelins, then some 190 dunlop takeoff's fell in my lap, so i decided to run those. rear tire never touched the swingarm with a properly set chain tension.

the only suspension change I made was I added about 1mm of preload to the front. that was it. bike felt great, tires felt great.

·
9,757 Posts
To anyone thinking they wanna go from a 180/55 to a 190/55 there is absolutely no reason to do so. You'll only end up changing your gearing, steering geometry, and the unsprung weight mostly for the worse.

IMO a 180/55 is perfect on any duc with a 5.5" rim and moderate hp/tq. It's only with the bigger bikes (1098/1198/ SF etc) that the size of the contact patch becomes an issue and larger wheels and tires are necessary (in that case a 190/55 is usually a wiser choice than a 190/50).

Does anyone know what applications the 190/50 would be better for than the 190/55? I was more or less at max lean on my buddy's R1 a couple weeks ago and I could feel myself not only riding on the edge of the rear tire, but being pushed up by the sidewall. Not only that, but by the look of the chicken strips on the front the bike coulda leaned over further with a taller rear tire. I ultimately ended up taking corners slower on the R1 despite the fact that the rest of the chassis felt pretty good.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Does anyone know what applications the 190/50 would be better for than the 190/55? I was more or less at max lean on my buddy's R1 a couple weeks ago and I could feel myself not only riding on the edge of the rear tire, but being pushed up by the sidewall. Not only that, but by the look of the chicken strips on the front the bike coulda leaned over further with a taller rear tire. I ultimately ended up taking corners slower on the R1 despite the fact that the rest of the chassis felt pretty good.

190/55 has a much better contact patch than 190/50. Stick with the 190/55. The front tire is VERY difficult to get boogies to the edge of the front. Don't guage the rears performance by the fronts looks. I'm generally pretty fast at tracks days, as my racing friends, and almost none of us get to the edge of a front tire.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Actually, I recall a test that showed that the 190 was lighter, not heavier, by one lb. But of course that depends on the manufacturer and model.

Tom
I don't know where you get your information from. This is directly from Pirelli:

Diablo Supercorsa:
180/55ZR17: 12.76 lbs
190/55ZR17: 13.86 lbs

That is a 1.1 pound difference, if you don't have a calculator handy.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
190/55 has a much better contact patch than 190/50. Stick with the 190/55. The front tire is VERY difficult to get boogies to the edge of the front. Don't guage the rears performance by the fronts looks. I'm generally pretty fast at tracks days, as my racing friends, and almost none of us get to the edge of a front tire.
If a 190 was so great, then I would think that the TZ250, RS250 and other 250 cc GP bikes (which make over 100 hp) would use them, right? I mean, traction is everything in racing isn't it?

But no, they use a 165...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts