Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

From my research, there seems to be no measurable differences between these 2 bikes. Can anyone in the know please shed some light on what I may be missing? There's a local 1200 R near new and severely discounted near me that drawing my attention from a new 1200 s. Thanks for any intel!

SIZE

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good Morning,

From my research, there seems to be no measurable differences between these 2 bikes. Can anyone in the know please shed some light on what I may be missing? There's a local 1200 R near new and severely discounted near me that drawing my attention from a new 1200 s. Thanks for any intel!

SIZE
Larger rear tire, different footing positions, different rear subframe: smaller head gasket for more compression for more horsepower. that being said I’ve had warped rear cylinder issue and people have thrown rear valves on the 1200r. I know of 2 in the flesh and one in the classified adds section. So far I haven’t heard of any 1200s have any issues like that.

I ride my 1200r more conservative now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
So you're deciding between an eighteen foot long 1200 and a twenty foot long 1200? .....

"18' 1200 vs 20' 1200" .....

(maybe try '18 1200 vs '20 1200) .... HA! :) :) :)

I'll get me coat ...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So you're deciding between an eighteen foot long 1200 and a twenty foot long 1200? .....

"18' 1200 R vs 20' 1200" S .....
(maybe try '18 1200 vs '20 1200) .... HA! :) :) :)
I'll get me coat ...
And here I was under the impression that the 1200R had a slightly longer wheelbase.
I guess I was wrong.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’ve heard about the 1200r troubles and personally would go for a new 1200s. The R is more exotic and was bred more for the track. I looked at the R as a replacement for the Streetfighter 1098s - more hard core than the S.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I’ve heard about the 1200r troubles and personally would go for a new 1200s. The R is more exotic and was bred more for the track. I looked at the R as a replacement for the Streetfighter 1098s - more hard core than the S.
I have had an "R" since 2016 and had no such troubles except the brake rotors replaced under warranty and a rear brake line recall which applies to the "S' as well. Could you be more specific about "troubles"?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had an "R" since 2016 and had no such troubles except the brake rotors replaced under warranty and a rear brake line recall which applies to the "S' as well. Could you be more specific about "troubles"?
I don’t know of any specifics. I was at a dealer talking to the service person about my friend’s 2012 multistrada that needed an engine rebuilt. He tried to put me at ease by saying that aside from the more sophisticated 1200r engine they have not had many issues with the 1200 engine. So, take my comment with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

That’s in the parts section.

And I’ve had warped rear cylinder on mine and while I was the dealer another 1200r burnt up rear cylinder was there being worked on. So I’ve known of a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I really wish people would check their info before parroting & posting erroneous information.
Both the "R" and the "S" use the same head gasket 78611001A
The compression ratio of the "R" and the "S" are identical at 13.0:1
Monster 1200 R Specs.png Monster 1200 S Specs.png Monster 1200 R Head Gasket.png Monster 1200 S Head Gasket.png

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really wish people would check their info before parroting & posting erroneous information.
Both the "R" and the "S" use the same head gasket 78611001A
The compression ratio of the "R" and the "S" are identical at 13.0:1
View attachment 991151 View attachment 991152 View attachment 991158 View attachment 991159
This is from Cycle world and I also remember (could be wrong...don't be hatin' : ) ) reading this info on Ducati's website before I purchased my 1200R

"For starters, the 1200 R is the most powerful naked bike that the boys from Bologna have ever built, and yes, that takes the 155-claimed-hp Streetfighter 1098 into account. Ducati started with one of its Testastretta 11-degree engines, but used a thinner head gasket to bump compression ratio up to 13:1 (from 12.5:1 on the 1200). This, along with a move to larger elliptical throttle bodies with an equivalent diameter of 56mm (versus 53mm on the 1200) and larger, 58mm-diameter exhaust pipes, has bumped power output to a claimed 160 hp at 9,250 rpm. Torque, meanwhile, climbs from 91.8 foot-pounds at 7,250 rpm to 97 foot-pounds at 7,750 rpm. "

This from TopSpeed

The 90-degree L-Twin plant packs a 106 mm bore and 67.9 mm stroke for a total displacement of 1,198.4 cc, and the compression ratio was boosted from 12.5-to-1 to 13-to-1 by subbing in a thinner head gasket. Clever, right? That’s where the extra horsepower came from over the other Monster 1200s.

Multiple other write ups state similar but specify cylinder to crankcase gasket as being thinner to again boost comprssion. Point being people state these things (right or wrong) because pretty much every single write up including Ducati's (if I recall corectly...could be wrong) on the 1200R states these specifics as the reason the R has more power and higher compression than the 1200S.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This is from Cycle world and I also remember (could be wrong...don't be hatin' : ) ) reading this info on Ducati's website before I purchased my 1200R

"For starters, the 1200 R is the most powerful naked bike that the boys from Bologna have ever built, and yes, that takes the 155-claimed-hp Streetfighter 1098 into account. Ducati started with one of its Testastretta 11-degree engines, but used a thinner head gasket to bump compression ratio up to 13:1 (from 12.5:1 on the 1200). This, along with a move to larger elliptical throttle bodies with an equivalent diameter of 56mm (versus 53mm on the 1200) and larger, 58mm-diameter exhaust pipes, has bumped power output to a claimed 160 hp at 9,250 rpm. Torque, meanwhile, climbs from 91.8 foot-pounds at 7,250 rpm to 97 foot-pounds at 7,750 rpm. "

This from TopSpeed

The 90-degree L-Twin plant packs a 106 mm bore and 67.9 mm stroke for a total displacement of 1,198.4 cc, and the compression ratio was boosted from 12.5-to-1 to 13-to-1 by subbing in a thinner head gasket. Clever, right? That’s where the extra horsepower came from over the other Monster 1200s.

Multiple other write ups state similar but specify cylinder to crankcase gasket as being thinner to again boost comprssion. Point being people state these things (right or wrong) because pretty much every single write up including Ducati's (if I recall corectly...could be wrong) on the 1200R states these specifics as the reason the R has more power and higher compression than the 1200S.
Again, I have to repeat (lovingly): "Do the research prior to posting".
Those articles compare the 2016 1200 "R" which is significantly different from the Base and "S" Model of that same or prior years.
Beginning with the 2017 model year, both the Base and the "S" model were completely revised while the "R" remained unchanged. All Monster 1200's now share the same compression ratio (13.0:1) and head gaskets.
While the 2017~2020 Monster 1200's are based on the "R" engine which began in 2016 they are a significant improvement over the 2014~16 generation of Monster 1200 (Base & "S").
If a picture is worth a thousand words, these are both 2016 Monster 1200.
The Black is the "R".
M-1200R_2016_Studio_B_C01_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_[1920x1080].jpg 2016-monster1200-s-4_1600x0w.jpg

Reactions: Shawn of the Dead

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm glad I got a 2016 then. Seems odd that they would do that.If they were gonna pump up the S motor they at least could given the R a quick shift.

Still this is the internet man.... I only have so much time to research !! 🙃

Srsly tho ....interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If they were gonna pump up the S motor they at least could given the R a quick shift.
Indeed.
Everyone that owns an "R" has been wondering why Ducati has not upgraded the "R" for 2017 as well.
QS, cornering ABS, display with fuel gauge, LED's.
Total conjecture on my part but perhaps they wanted the M1200R owners to upgrade to the then upcoming SFV4?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Indeed.
Everyone that owns an "R" has been wondering why Ducati has not upgraded the "R" for 2017 as well.
QS, cornering ABS, display with fuel gauge, LED's.
Total conjecture on my part but perhaps they wanted the M1200R owners to upgrade to the then upcoming SFV4?
My R was expensive enough. I dont need a naked bike with wings LOL

·
Registered
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
since everyone started comparing 2016 S vs. R I fell I need to restate the question.... what changes have been made to the S for the current 2020 model? I ask because my local dealer insists the current S, is superior to the 2018 R... Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You should ask him to tell you why HE thinks it's superior. It has a butt load of electronics compared to the "R"s but I am unsure of the differences between the 2019 and 2020 Monster S. Any sales guy worth his salt should be able to easily tell you or you can some do internet research.

The R's have taller suspension, better rearsets and larger exhaust headers. I'm not sure if the S model has forged wheels like the R does...they make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
since everyone started comparing 2016 S vs. R I fell I need to restate the question.... what changes have been made to the S for the current 2020 model? I ask because my local dealer insists the current S, is superior to the 2018 R... Thanks.
We've already answered the most important differences although not necessarily in details.
So here goes:

2017~2020 Monster 1200 "S"
The Monster 1200 "S" sustained a major update in 2017 and remain the same in 2020.
The wheelbase, rake & trail were reduced from the previous generation to make the Monster more agile in urban settings.

"S" Differences vs "R"

Up-Down Quick-Shifter,
ABS Bosch 9.1 MP Cornering,
Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC),
New display with fuel gauge,
DRL (Daytime Running Light) and LED indicators
Wheelbase 1485 mm
Rear wheel travel 149mm
Rake 23,3°
Trail 86.5 mm
Seat height 795~820 mm
Dry weight 185Kg, (408 lb)

The 2016~2019 Monster 1200 "R" like all other Ducati "R" models, has a sportier value proposition.
In this case:

More powerful, (5 Hp)
Greater ground clearance, (for Leaning Angle)
Longer wheelbase and R&T, (for High Speed Stability)
Lighter wheels and tire, (for Agility, Acceleration, Braking Distances)

"R" Differences vs "S"

Lighter & Stronger Marchesini Forged Wheels,
Ohlins Steering Damper,
Mini Fairing,
Larger Headers,
Larger / Lighter / Stickier 200/55 Supercorsa tire,
Longer Black-anodized 48mm Öhlins front fork,
Solid metal foot-pegs,
Larger tank, 17.5 L
Wheelbase 1509 mm
Rear wheel travel 159mm
Rake 24,3°
Trail 89 mm
Seat height 830 mm
Dry weight 180kg, (396,8 lb)

Observations:
I have ridden both the "R" and the 2017 "S" back to back.
In an urban setting, the handling didn't feel any different between the two but at highway speeds, the "R" feels more planted attributable to the longer frame geometry, steering damper and mini fairing.
The rubber lined foot pegs of the "S" are definitely more comfortable with less vibration than the R's metal ones although they are more slippery.
The 2017 "S" seat is softer and much more comfortable than the "R".
The seat height is noticeably higher on the "R" attributable to the extra 10mm of wheel travel, longer forks and the taller 200/55 tire.

Reactions: sizmtrz and dankatz

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2016 R.

Could you tell me about the rear brake line recall? When was this released, and what exactly was corrected?

I ask because my 2016 R went in for a front master cylinder recall years ago, but I haven't been notified about any others.

Checked my VIN against Ducatis website and came up empty there, as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
We've already answered the most important differences although not necessarily in details.
So here goes:

2017~2020 Monster 1200 "S"
The Monster 1200 "S" sustained a major update in 2017 and remain the same in 2020.
The wheelbase, rake & trail were reduced from the previous generation to make the Monster more agile in urban settings.

"S" Differences vs "R"

Up-Down Quick-Shifter,
ABS Bosch 9.1 MP Cornering,
Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC),
New display with fuel gauge,
DRL (Daytime Running Light) and LED indicators
Wheelbase 1485 mm
Rear wheel travel 149mm
Rake 23,3°
Trail 86.5 mm
Seat height 795~820 mm
Dry weight 185Kg, (408 lb)

The 2016~2019 Monster 1200 "R" like all other Ducati "R" models, has a sportier value proposition.
In this case:

More powerful, (5 Hp)
Greater ground clearance, (for Leaning Angle)
Longer wheelbase and R&T, (for High Speed Stability)
Lighter wheels and tire, (for Agility, Acceleration, Braking Distances)

"R" Differences vs "S"

Lighter & Stronger Marchesini Forged Wheels,
Ohlins Steering Damper,
Mini Fairing,
Larger Headers,
Larger / Lighter / Stickier 200/55 Supercorsa tire,
Longer Black-anodized 48mm Öhlins front fork,
Solid metal foot-pegs,
Larger tank, 17.5 L
Wheelbase 1509 mm
Rear wheel travel 159mm
Rake 24,3°
Trail 89 mm
Seat height 830 mm
Dry weight 180kg, (396,8 lb)

Observations:
I have ridden both the "R" and the 2017 "S" back to back.
In an urban setting, the handling didn't feel any different between the two but at highway speeds, the "R" feels more planted attributable to the longer frame geometry, steering damper and mini fairing.
The rubber lined foot pegs of the "S" are definitely more comfortable with less vibration than the R's metal ones although they are more slippery.
The 2017 "S" seat is softer and much more comfortable than the "R".
The seat height is noticeably higher on the "R" attributable to the extra 10mm of wheel travel, longer forks and the taller 200/55 tire.
Damn, good stuff.

Not sure what you do for a living, but ever consider becoming a Ducati Rep?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts