Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18,00 mile service is comming up on my 97 916. I spoke to the nearest dealer and they are estimating 900 + for the service and that included new timing belt, plugs, air filter, ect. Is this competitive? Thanks for the help guys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
681 Posts
you are getting raped.


125 for belts

30 for plugs

35 for oil

35 for a/f ?

15 for coolant

5 for brake fluid

shims ?

that's 250 in parts, seven hundred in labor ? maybe? sound like the steelership is making some on that deal. you can do most of this service yourself and save some money. have them replace the belts and check the valves and if need be replace what ever is needed.

i just had a twelve thousand mile service and it was 600, which is more than i like to spend on a service but 300 less than 900.

so if you need to have this done and this is the only place for you to go, so it is all relative.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I just had my 18,000 mile service done at a dealership.

This is what my bill has broken down on it.....
Oil = $39.80
Oil Filter = $9.90
Fuel Filter = $22.73
2 Spark Plugs = $42.30
2 Cam Belts = $113.40
Brake Fluid = $6.26
Coolant = $17.96
Seal Ring = $11.93

6 hours of labor = $ 480.00

TOTAL = $744.28

They changed the oil, brake and clutch fluids, coolant, new belts, checked valves. My ITG airfilter was okay.

Hope this helps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Don't let them do anything you can do. You can change your own plugs and pay $3 total for the NGKs. My dealer even stocks then since the Champion OEM ones are $25 apiece. Yes that's per spark plug. Coolant shouldn't cost $17.

You can do most of that stuff yourself, save some labor except maybe the belts and valves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you on that. I had made up my mind a few days ago to do everything except the belts and valves. Im a helo mech anyway so I shouldnt have much trouble. What kind of price am I looking at for them to do the valves and belts only?

Hey grendals how does your 916 do on the track? Does it still run away from some of the newer bikes out of the corners?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
grendels_arm said:
You can do most of that stuff yourself, save some labor except maybe the belts and valves.
+1, I have, in the past, let dealers do it all and paid big money for them to do minor stuff like changing Brake Fluid etc.

More recently I've just got them to do the Valves & Belts, everything else is basic stuff that's the same on all bikes.

I actually enjoy doing maintenance on bikes but so far have not attempted valves/belts, maybe next time? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Out of curiousity, don't they do like auto mechanics and go by what "the book" says the job will need? 4,5,6 hrs etc. and charge accordingly. I know thats how car dealerships do ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Don't let them do anything you can do. You can change your own plugs and pay $3 total for the NGKs. My dealer even stocks then since the Champion OEM ones are $25 apiece. Yes that's per spark plug. Coolant shouldn't cost $17.

You can do most of that stuff yourself, save some labor except maybe the belts and valves.
You can get the Champs cheaper at AutoZone or Kragen or Pep Boys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
ijn8uh said:
I agree with you on that. I had made up my mind a few days ago to do everything except the belts and valves. Im a helo mech anyway so I shouldnt have much trouble. What kind of price am I looking at for them to do the valves and belts only?

Hey grendals how does your 916 do on the track? Does it still run away from some of the newer bikes out of the corners?
You're a helo mech....aaaaw come on, man! Get a Haynes manual and learn to check/adj the valves yourself. I know it's made out to be rocket science, but really, it's not. There are people here who can help you along the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1999r1 said:
You're a helo mech....aaaaw come on, man! Get a Haynes manual and learn to check/adj the valves yourself. I know it's made out to be rocket science, but really, it's not. There are people here who can help you along the way.

If I could watch someone do it first I would be in there. Plus for some reason I have very bad luck with vehicles. I do have a haynes though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
ijn8uh said:
If I could watch someone do it first I would be in there. Plus for some reason I have very bad luck with vehicles. I do have a haynes though.
My personal recommendation is to start by just checking them. Go into the job with intention to simply write down the gaps. That experiance will give you a start to what is involved in actually changing the shims.

-CC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris748s said:
My personal recommendation is to start by just checking them. Go into the job with intention to simply write down the gaps. That experiance will give you a start to what is involved in actually changing the shims.

-CC
Thats a good Idea Chris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DukeDesmo said:
+1, I have, in the past, let dealers do it all and paid big money for them to do minor stuff like changing Brake Fluid etc.

More recently I've just got them to do the Valves & Belts, everything else is basic stuff that's the same on all bikes.

I actually enjoy doing maintenance on bikes but so far have not attempted valves/belts, maybe next time? :)

How much was it for them to do just the belts and valves?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
thats for section8superbike
The first price is for the service, second for general parts, i.e. oil filter parts

Services for 748/916/996/998

Service Job Description Job Price Parts Price
Bars and Controls Clip ons and Bar Risers $112.50 -
Bars and Controls Bremobo Masters per side $75.00 -
Bars and Controls Rearsets $75.00 -
Brakes front pads $37.50 -
Brakes rear pads $18.75 -
Brakes front rotors $75.00 -
Brakes bleed front $37.50 -
Brakes bleed rear $37.50 -
Brakes flush front $75.00 -
Brakes flush rear $56.25 -
Drive chain and sprockets $150.00 -
Drive chain $75.00 -
Drive front sprocket $37.50 -
Drive rear sprocket $75.00 -
Engine Complete rebuild $1125.00 -
Engine Lower end rebuild $900.00 -
Engine rr pistons-big bore kit $600.00 -
Engine rebuild heads $600.00 -
Engine cam swap $450.00 -
Engine degree cams $600.00 -
Engine Belts $75.00 -
Engine Clutch pack $37.50 -
Engine Complete clutch $75.00 -
Engine Slipper clutch service $75.00 -
Engine Flywheel $150.00 -
Engine bleed clutch $18.75 -
Engine flush clutch $56.25 -
Exhaust slip ons $75.00 -
Exhaust slip on with ECU and TPS/Trimmer reset $112.50 -
Exhaust full system $300.00 -
Exhaust Full system with ECU and TPS/trimmer reset $375.00 -
Services 600mi $225.00 $50.00
Services 6000mi $525.00 $140.00
Services 12000mi $750.00 $230.00
Services 18000mi $450.00 $140.00
Services 24000mi $750.00 $230.00
Services Injection Blueprinting $225.00 -
Suspension Shock Fluid $75.00 -
Suspension Shock Fluid On Bike $150.00 -
Suspension Shock Rebuild/Revalve $225.00 -
Suspension Shock Rebuild/Revalve On Bike $300.00 -
Suspension Fork Fluid $75.00 -
Suspension Fork Fluid On Bike $150.00 -
Suspension Fork Rebuild $225.00 -
Suspension Fork Rebuild On Bike $300.00 -
Suspension Install UES Kit $300.00 -
Suspension Install UES Kit On Bike $375.00 -
Suspension Install Fork Springs $75.00 -
Suspension Install Fork Springs On Bike $150.00 -
Suspension Set Sag and Clickers F and R $75.00 -
Suspension Set Geometry, Sag, Clickers $187.50 -
Suspension Set Geometry w/triples, Sag, Clickers $375.00 -
Track Prep Race bodywork $1275.00 -
Track Prep Fairing stay $45.00 -
Track Prep Safty wire for track day $75.00 -
Track Prep Safty wire for WERA, Fastraxx $300.00 -
Track Prep Safty wire for CCS $75.00 -
Track Prep Tape lights $18.75 -
Track Prep Coolant swap $75.00 -
Wheels and Tires Wheels on Bike $150.00 -
Wheels and Tires Wheels off Bike $75.00 -
 

·
Flavor of the Month
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
Choppers

Helo mechanics? You guys are shady, it's like you're working on your daddy's old pickup truck or something.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top