Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shop here looking into this for me but would like some input from the Ducati gurus. I have an early 900SS with the 17mm front axle. I got a good deal on a magnesium wheel which came off a slightly later bike with the 19mm axle. I am trying to figure out what parts I need from the later bike to make this fit up. The shop I spoke to said it should be doable without inserting a sleeve by using a 19mm axle, but they aren't sure yet what other parts are needed such as speedo drive and or any spacers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It would be interesting to know what bearings are in the wheel currently?Maybe you could swap them out for 17mm bearings and keep it simple plus you have nice new bearings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
I will assume you mean the mag wheel has a 20mm axle, if it is a 19 it is not for a Ducati.

If it is the 20mm then you can shop on ebay for the parts you will need.

Axle= 20mm late carby SS or monster pre-hollow 25mm axle
speedo drive from the same bikes
Threaded left fork insert from the same bikes.

If it is not a Ducati wheel it still may be possible but plan on more work.

All this said make sure it is not a Ducati corse wheel with odd hub spacing, you should measure it and your wheels and see if they match first. I have seen some race wheels with very deep offset rotors.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I will assume you mean the mag wheel has a 20mm axle, if it is a 19 it is not for a Ducati.

If it is the 20mm then you can shop on ebay for the parts you will need

If it was a 20mm Duc Wheel just switching the bearings would get the job done at 17mm Maybe the spacer also but the 20mm spacer might still rest on the correct part of the bearing. I bought all the parts to switch my 93 to 20mm but I really don't know if it would improve rigidity an appreciable amount.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
I highly doubt any of us mere mortals could tell the difference between a 17mm and 20mm front axle.

The later wheels (non-17mm) had a larger pocket for the speedo drive to fit in so if you fit a 17mm drive in a later wheel you will have a gap around the drive. It will function just fine but on inspection you see the gap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be interesting to know what bearings are in the wheel currently?Maybe you could swap them out for 17mm bearings and keep it simple plus you have nice new bearings.
This was my first idea, I actually called them to inquire about setting new bearings or simply making a spacer. The tech then suggested to me that later model parts would swap in to the fork legs directly and that could be cheaper than custom work or bearing replacement.

If it is the 20mm then you can shop on ebay for the parts you will need.

Axle= 20mm late carby SS or monster pre-hollow 25mm axle
speedo drive from the same bikes
Threaded left fork insert from the same bikes.

If it is not a Ducati wheel it still may be possible but plan on more work.

All this said make sure it is not a Ducati corse wheel with odd hub spacing, you should measure it and your wheels and see if they match first. I have seen some race wheels with very deep offset rotors.
It is definitely a Ducati wheel, I must not know how to use my calipers. I will triple check but am pretty sure we are dealing with a 20mm wheel from a carbed Monster 900. That would explain why I was having no luck googling "19mm ducati axle."

I did a mock up mounting for horizontal spacing but without the brake discs I will check that again as well. It is a Marchesini.

The fork insert was the big question mark for me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The 20mn and 17mm bearings are the same size apart from the ID where the shaft fits thru. You just have to replace them no special work required.

All my wheels are now in a container bound for Aistralia but I thought the speedo drives and the wheel pocket were the same on the 20 and 17 wheels (apart from the ID obviously) but the 25 pocket is different. The outside of the 20 and 17 speedo drives were the same dimensions I thought but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 20mn and 17mm bearings are the same size apart from the ID where the shaft fits thru. You just have to replace them no special work required.

All my wheels are now in a container bound for Aistralia but I thought the speedo drives and the wheel pocket were the same on the 20 and 17 wheels (apart from the ID obviously) but the 25 pocket is different. The outside of the 20 and 17 speedo drives were the same dimensions I thought but I could be wrong.
Just to double check what you are saying; I could just take the bearings out of my 17mm wheel (or new identical bearings) and swap them into the 20mm?

The later wheels (non-17mm) had a larger pocket for the speedo drive to fit in so if you fit a 17mm drive in a later wheel you will have a gap around the drive. It will function just fine but on inspection you see the gap.
I think you guys are in agreement here. Just to check fit I was able to install my 17mm speedo drive as well as the drive plate into the 20mm wheel no problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bearings

I can tell you from experience that swapping bearings will work just fine. Just make sure that the rim width is the same as the old one. I had to take speedo off and make a spacer instead to center the rim in the forks. I didn't have speedo in the first place so it was not a problem.

Best,
Edge

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update here in case anybody does a search. Turns out the easiest thing was to swap in a 20MM axle (weirdly enough I spoke to a dealer and they also thought the axle was 19mm). Required parts were the axle, speedo drive, and threaded insert for the fork leg, as well as the speedo gear drive plate in the wheel since my wheel did not come with one. Ed at Ducpower.com was able to hook me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts