Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned the Hyper for about 6 weeks now. Saturday I changed the front sprocket to a 16th (+1 from stock for those that don't know) and really noticed no major change in power per say. Although at cruising speeds I dropped the RPM's down almost 1k rpm. I made a mental note of the RPM's before the swap. Due to the low gear ratios of the transmission, 1-3rd gear are non-issues power wise. 4-6th are a bit taller feeling for sure. I can still easily wheelie in 2nd and 3rd is a bit more challenging than before.

My overall thoughts are this was a good move for me. I did 320 miles yesterday and this allowed for a bit more range on fuel. I can easily get 110 miles before the fuel light, if I ride semi conservatively. If I twist the throttle a lot, which I did yesterday hitting 130mph multiple times, I got the fuel light at 90 miles.

I was considering moving the rear sprocket down 1 as well, But for now, I'm gonna leave it be.

So far the Hyper is my favorite all time bike. I've had a bunch over the past 18 years. I'm a road race junkie and actually run the video bike program at our local track. So my normal rides are liter bikes (Kawasaki). Here is a pic of my tard 6 days after I picked her up! And a pic of my current race bike...

It's been a weird thing moving to this style of machine, as I've ridden sport bikes since I was 18. I gotta say though, I was getting burned out on street riding and now, this has gotten me back into riding the streets again. I was nearly at the point of track only... Although I plan to take the Hyper to the track again, I prefer to NOT crash this bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to do some Arkansas runs which can top 400 miles a day. That's my reasoning behind the 16th.

I already shaved the seat down and recovered for a more "flat" seating position and more comfort on longer rides. I'll do a turtorial on that process.

I'm working on a custom exhaust that will cost ALOT less than all these other options available. I've been a huge contributor to the ZX10 forums since 2004. I hope to do so here as well.

There is alot to be said for the Hyper, and alot of room for improvement. I love the large gas tank from Cali, but damn Ducati should have made the OEM tank 4.5 gals. What were they thinking! I know, they were thinkg hooligan, around town riding. And being 6'2" they were obviously thinking 5'6" Italians as pilots!

Oh yea one more thing too... I have access to CNC and a guy that KNOWS what he's doing with it. We are going to be making some very trick parts to make these bikes more enjoyable for taller folks. That stuff will be getting started as soon as I can NOT ride the damn thing! If I could put the key down for a weekend, we could 3D the parts we need.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As long as you've got your CNC going...

I'd like a decent shift lever. Maybe anodized billet like the rear-sets have...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shooting for replacing the shifter and brake levers for more adjustability and GP shift. I wear a size 13 and the damn pedals are built for midgets! lol (Nothing personal to short folks!)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with gearing up as the bike feels less "buzzy" at highway speeds. I went to 15/40 and the only down side was decelerating to very low speeds (like approaching my driveway). Bike would buck unless I shifted way down early. I changed to 15/41 and really like it.

stock 15/42+2.89
14/42=3.00
15/40=2.66
15/41=2.73
16/42=2.62

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about some rear crash protectors

Hi hyperspd7,
How about making some rear crash protectors that will bolt onto rear subrame to protect the carbon side panels and the exhausts. These could be machined out of a hard nylon material and if designed nicely would not look too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts