Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, how much will my bikes performance will change if I run a 16in rear wheel? I know that is what the desmoRR uses, so will it make my bike faster?

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
With the wheel change: exactly the same HP as the Desmo.
Without: Exactly the same as the 1198S.

If you are serious then change your gearing. Not your wheel size.

Gearing means sprockets and chain.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
it would make it much slower because you wouldn't be able to get tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, what gearing would be best for alot of track time? If you take away some top end through gearing will it help enter and exit turns faster, or is the stock ratio best?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
gearing will not affect your corner entry speed. Corner entry speed depends more on tire grip, pavement, rider skill, suspension setup.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you install the 16" rear you will have to change the front too. I would suggest a WM1 /21" on an 8" over springer fork.That will let you settle into the king and queen seat more comfortably.A set of apehangers can ease corner entry through the added leverage they afford.And above all,paint it a nice shade of metallic blue!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you install the 16" rear you will have to change the front too. I would suggest a WM1 /21" on an 8" over springer fork.That will let you settle into the king and queen seat more comfortably.A set of apehangers can ease corner entry through the added leverage they afford.And above all,paint it a nice shade of metallic blue!
don't forget neon and tassles
maybe just remove the pipes...you know loud effing exhaust save lives:p

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
gearing will not affect your corner entry speed. Corner entry speed depends more on tire grip, pavement, rider skill, suspension setup.
Actually it can affect corner speed - taller gearing has less engine braking. That was something I had to deal with on my old GSXR750, in order to get a good exit drive in many corners I had to run in screaming the engine, which killed my corner speed until I installed a slipper clutch.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ok thanks, what gearing would be best for alot of track time? If you take away some top end through gearing will it help enter and exit turns faster, or is the stock ratio best?
Stock is way too tall, I went down 1 in the front on my 1098 and will eventually go up 1 or 2 in the back. There aren't many tracks that have a 180-mph front straight, so you gear it to hit redline in 6th-gear at the fastest point on the track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts