Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
pretty damn impressive....says something about the drag of those panniers and mirrors too.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I am quite impressed with this. If I recall correctly, the fastest m/c magazine time was 156 mph, and that was at a several thousand feet lower elevation !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very cool...I wonder what a 996 equipped ST4s could do with the same parts removed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nevermind...I misread it, took the 3 from 2003 and inserted to make an ST3.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even more impressive

is the guy pulled a 1700 mile 29+ hour ride getting there. THEN did the speed run. Sweet!

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
what fun!!!
does this guy have website?
I have few question,
gearing,
motormods?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Cool, nice to know the bike is capable of that. I bet mods are minimal. I've had mine to an indicated 161 MPH. I know the speedo is optimistic so lets say it was 145-150. It got there easily and the bike was still pulling with enough revs available for another 10-15 MPH before hitting 10K.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I recall the advertized top speed of the ST4s as 165mph. This is probably without the panniers.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
Yeah, I recall the owners manual says not to exceed --- Mph with the panniers on. LOL

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ducati lists the top speed as 255 kph in the owners manual which is about 158 mph. That would be with mirrors attached but without bags and brackets.

With the panniers attached, Ducati instructs not to exceed 130 kph which is only about 81 mph. I've had loaded panniers up to 132 mph (about 145 indicated) without issue but I probably wouldn't try this on a road that was very bumpy for fear of over-stressing the mounts. I have cruised some pretty bumpy roads over 100 mph indicated with loaded panniers and no problems so I think the Ducati recommendation is probably conservative as long as your bags are properly mounted.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A stock ST4S will not make that speed, particularly at Bonneville altitude.

By stock, I mean showroom stock with panniers etc. I trust the Cycle World test far more than any Ducati printed material. ( Evidently the factory speed spec doesn't include the panniers, per their own admonision ?)

No matter what, these are great bikes and I truly enjoy mine. Note: I'm having my 6K done in a few weeks and my long latent rage with Ducati may surface if I have the (expected ?) rocker problem.

Bill_Anderson said:
I recall the advertized top speed of the ST4s as 165mph. This is probably without the panniers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
bevel450 said:
A stock ST4S will not make that speed, particularly at Bonneville altitude.

By stock, I mean showroom stock with panniers etc. I trust the Cycle World test far more than any Ducati printed material. ( Evidently the factory speed spec doesn't include the panniers, per their own admonision ?)
The Cycle World test did not include the panniers either. In many countries the panniers are optional items anyway. I don't know of any publication that tests top speed with panniers attached (unless they can't be removed).

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yes, you are absolutely correct on that.

And...I am still not buying that top speed for a stock ST4S. ( Did I rush past
some claim of stock or acknowledgement of modifications ? )

kentamcolin said:
It was mentioned in the Bonneville article that top speed with the mirrors and panniers attached was 144 MPH.

·
Registered
887 Posts
bevel450 said:
And...I am still not buying that top speed for a stock ST4S. ( Did I rush past
some claim of stock or acknowledgement of modifications ? )
The Ducati article specifically mentioned the bike was not in the stock configuration, the mirrors were removed, the photo in the article clearly shows his pipes had been changed and, I would have to assume the ECU and air filter was changed to match the pipes. But I bet the engine internals are bone stock. Ducati lists the top speed as 158 mph and Cycle World got 155 mph out of a their bone stock example in the December 2001 issue, might have gone faster if they had a bit longer of a straight although top speed will vary from individual example slightly depending upon exact state of tune, how well it's worn in, etc. It's not a stretch to think you could get to 161 mph on a well used ST4s with pipes and chip and no mirrors. I guess I don't see what there is to doubt.

Why, how fast does yours go?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Mike,

I am not seeing the same thing as you. In all three views of the bike I see what is clearly to my eye, the repositioned ( as he states ) stock Ducati exhaust. ( Sure...it could be gutted.) Agree with you on the high probablility of stock internals, etc. Thus without further details, my doubt is based on the altitude penalty.

I haven't been ticketed on my ST bike, so I don't know what a high technology timing device would reveal of it's performance. But I have been to Bonneville as crew support and the issue when discussing power was always altitude, altitude, and altitude. And how to make up for that power penalty that results.

I would be interested to hear any arguement that nullifies the altitude issue and produces a faster vehicle because of it.

Mike said:
The Ducati article specifically mentioned the bike was not in the stock configuration, the mirrors were removed, the photo in the article clearly shows his pipes had been changed and, I would have to assume the ECU and air filter was changed to match the pipes. But I bet the engine internals are bone stock. Ducati lists the top speed as 158 mph and Cycle World got 155 mph out of a their bone stock example in the December 2001 issue, might have gone faster if they had a bit longer of a straight although top speed will vary from individual example slightly depending upon exact state of tune, how well it's worn in, etc. It's not a stretch to think you could get to 161 mph on a well used ST4s with pipes and chip and no mirrors. I guess I don't see what there is to doubt.

Why, how fast does yours go?

·
Registered
887 Posts
bevel450 said:
I am not seeing the same thing as you. In all three views of the bike I see what is clearly to my eye, the repositioned ( as he states ) stock Ducati exhaust.
Let's look at the FACTS:

1) He doesn't claim the exhaust is stock.
2) The exhaust is NOT repositioned in all three views because the bags cannot be mounted with the pipes in the raised position.\
3) His speed of 162.xx mph was measured and recorded by whatever official timing devices they had at Bonneville that day. I have absolutely NO reason to doubt them.
4) No Ducati ST has ever come stock with OVAL exhaust pipes.

( Sure...it could be gutted.) Agree with you on the high probablility of stock internals, etc. Thus without further details, my doubt is based on the altitude penalty.
The altitude penalty is not as bad as it seems. While it does reduce maximum HP, it also reduces HP requirements for a bike to reach a certain speed because the air is thinner. Regardless of all that, I have no doubt in my mind that Jack reached over 162 mph based primarily on the fact that he was recorded using the same timing device that all other land speed testers used that day and that 162 mph is entirely consistent with what could be expected of a ST4s with stock engine internals and modified pipes, ECU and airbox and the mirrors removed.

I get the feeling that Jack wasn't a regular at the Bonneville proving grounds and that he just paid his fee and got clocked with the official timing equipment just like everyone else. His results are posted here:

http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2005_event/05results.html

IMO, end of story.

·
Registered
319 Posts
kentamcolin said:
It was mentioned in the Bonneville article that top speed with the mirrors and panniers attached was 144 MPH.
I can attest that a stock 2001 ST4 (not even ST4S) can do an indicated 142 mph with panniers on (packed full of stuff I might add). I chickened out at 142 and backed off due to the fact that it was dusk and where I was riding in the Sierras in California, the deer are known to roam at that time. The bike was still pulling and I had quite a lot of throttle left.

Doing something close to 160 mph without panniers is very doable (even in stock form) in my opinion.

-Fariborz

1 - 20 of 32 Posts