Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a trip from Chicago down to the tail of the dragon in Tennessee. Over the course of the whole trip, I went 1600 miles and rode for a total of about 40 hours. Overall the bike was really comfortable for the extended rides 9-10 hours straight from Chicago -> Knoxville, stopping for gas, food and bathroom breaks of course.

Anyone here been down to the dragon? 318 turns in 11 miles. It was amazing up there, the smoky mountains are beautiful and the dragon is a challenge to say the least.

I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Deals Gap has gotten too famous, I rode it several times years ago when posted speed limit was 45 mph!! Which is pretty fast for that road.

Cherohala skyway in the vicinity is an exc. road as well, less traveled. In that area it's tough to find roads that are not superb!

Go to killboy's site, perhaps he shot some pics of you riding the gap?
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
The gap is a great stretch of road, in the middle of thousands of miles of great roads. I'm glad that you had a good trip to WNC and East Tenn.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We also rode though Cherohala skyway but when we got up there we were just stuck in the clouds for 1.5 hours riding in the rain with about 10 feet of visibility. I am going to go back again and ride the roads on TN/NC but next time during the summer when the weather is better.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
YOu should come to US desmo ducs along the blue ridge every may, we always have a great time, the route incorporates deals gap (tho it's on a saturday, so I usually skip that part.

www.usdesmo.com

Chris

We also rode though Cherohala skyway but when we got up there we were just stuck in the clouds for 1.5 hours riding in the rain with about 10 feet of visibility. I am going to go back again and ride the roads on TN/NC but next time during the summer when the weather is better.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I go to the Smokies in May and Sept and the weather is usually pretty good, but the Cherahola is always 15 degrees cooler and usually there is some rain/mist there. As was said the roads all around Smokey Mtn Natl park are awesome, whether you're in Ga., Ten or NC.

When I rode the Dragon in Sept on the SF, I found that I rarerly got out of first gear and that 1st was too tall for many of the 15 mph hairpins. Need to change the sprockets for that road. Word of advice: Don't do the dragon on a weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts