Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got if fired up and running last night, for sitting since 71 it's got some compression. After the marvel mystery oil burned out of the ports and pipe it's not smoking at all. Fingers crossed.

couple little thngs left. Put timing cover and chain gaurd on. Make sure wiring is hooked up right (I hope) and maybe swap the carb, the del is a bit finicky.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you have a thread on the restoration of your bike? Looks very nice, are you finished with it or do you have more to do to it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice looking Monza. Glad to see someone keeping it original, not turning it into a cafe like everyone else nowdays. It has got its own style, and it looks great in silver and black. I would suggest the original decals for the tank (flying eagle) to give it even more OEM flavor. Just my two cents. Please post some pics on motoscrubs board if you have not already. Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

In all seriousness, this didn't take much more than elbow grease and a crap load of steel wool.

She's a 20 footer at best.

I did blast the tin in my Harbor Frieght special cabinet blaster since it was all jacked up. Rattle canned it sliver (using primer of course) I didn't use gloss over it, nor did I use any filler, I just shot it as is since everything else looks "well used"

Everything else was just wiped down and/or scrubbed with steel wool. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the chain, tires and throttle cable.

That's it folks. I'll probably leave it as is and ride the crap out of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding the decals.

I've seen someone on ebeh selling some for an insane amount. Since this is a "budget bike" any other suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Describe "Insane amount"?
$70 for just the tool box decals. Sorry, but i know how much it costs to do stickers and die cuts etc.

If i was going show quality, I might think about it, but it's still a stretch.

That being said, anyone willing to take a close up photo's of thier tool/air boxes and tanks? I can probably have my guy do some up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Decals could be found in lots of places. Guzzino.com, bevelheaven.com, domiracer.com etc. Certainly don't pay $70 for them. Try in $25-30 range.

P.S. Make sure you get a pair (they have to be mirror images of each other) rather than 2 identical ones. It maybe obvious, but I have seen people come in with two same ones asking to put one on each side of a gas tank ;-) Dan

Here is an example:http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=747

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ducati decals' falcon tank

I bought some of the 6x3 decals not paying attention.When they got to me, I laughed, they were huge, twice the size of Diana tank decals.I guess I'll put them on the side of my Ducati hauler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks all.

In all seriousness, this didn't take much more than elbow grease and a crap load of steel wool.

She's a 20 footer at best.

I did blast the tin in my Harbor Frieght special cabinet blaster since it was all jacked up. Rattle canned it sliver (using primer of course) I didn't use gloss over it, nor did I use any filler, I just shot it as is since everything else looks "well used"

Everything else was just wiped down and/or scrubbed with steel wool. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the chain, tires and throttle cable.

That's it folks. I'll probably leave it as is and ride the crap out of it.
The paint job looks good in the picture. What brand of paint did you use? Was it ColorRite aerosol cans or just something you got at the hardware store? I'm thinking about doing a little painting myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The paint job looks good in the picture. What brand of paint did you use? Was it ColorRite aerosol cans or just something you got at the hardware store? I'm thinking about doing a little painting myself.

I used Dupli-Color Truck,Van and SUV paint. Find it in Schucks Auto. I've used that brand for a few projects and if you have the technique down, you can make it look pretty damn good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used Dupli-Color Truck,Van and SUV paint. Find it in Schucks Auto. I've used that brand for a few projects and if you have the technique down, you can make it look pretty damn good.
I have a BMW and want to paint the plastic silver fender and gas tank panels black. When I saw your bike and you painted it with cans, I thought good idea I think I can do it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a BMW and want to paint the plastic silver fender and gas tank panels black. When I saw your bike and you painted it with cans, I thought good idea I think I can do it myself.

I'd say try it. Make sure you prep it very well, that's 90% of what you look at. Also, no dust and take your time, be prepared to wet sand the black and do a clear over the top, wet sand that and buff it. You'll end up with a pretty decent paint job, it won't be a tough as a two part paint, but it's WAY cheaper.

I used to paint aircraft, we'd use rattle cans for stencils and other interior touch up, so I have my fair share of practice with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts