Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so most of the main wiring harness has now been redone and wiring complete. I am making the connections in the headlight bucket for the main harness (horn/generator) to the switch on the left handlebar. I have two questions I am hoping can be answered. First is the switch on the handlebar has wires which have been replaced. I am suppose to have a black wire with red stripe, black wire and green wire. Instead, this switch has 2 black wires and a grey. Through the wiring diagrams I traced one black wire as horn button and have it figured out. The issue I have is, which wire should be the green? Below is picture of the back of the switch, can anyone identify location of wire and tell me based on location of the grey wire, is that really the green?

Second question, when this is all assembled there is a switch that goes from position 0, 1 and 2. What is this switching on/off?

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1407672928.511768.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
387 Posts
What does the 0, 1 and 2 do on the switch?
Hi,

Apologies for not picking up on this earlier.

On a battery-equipped bike like the Monza:
Position 1: Battery feed to parking lights (front and tail)
Position 2: Nothing ('Off')
Position 3: Alternator feed to the dip switch for the headlight; and feed to the tail light.

It's the internal connections of the switch that are important. Hoperfully the attached will help.

Ciao

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the diagram as from my other post you see this is almost wired now. This should have probably been a new post, question on the indicator lights inside the headlight bucket. There is nothing in the wiring diagrams that I have which show these as being in the circuit. What powers and activates the red and green light in the head light bucket?

·
Registered
387 Posts
What powers and activates the red and green light in the head light bucket?
Ah ... Now this does change a bit according to model ..:)

Frequently it was :
Green: dipped headlight. But see my P.s. below.
Red: ignition. EDIT: see next post.

But this latter won't work with your AC ignition system :confused:. And the parts book for the 'pre-square style' Monza doesn't show there as being one. So, use it for whatever you want. Main beam, perhaps?

And to make each one work, all you need to do is to take a cable from a convenient connection point in the relevant circuit to the base of the idiot light that you want to light up. The circuit is then completed by grounding thru the body of the metal bulb holder and then thru the headlamp shell.

P.s The alternative use of the green light is as a warning light for the parking lights - often called by Ducati, the "town light(s)". However, since the one at the front glimmers away with the full power of 5w, I'm not sure that anyone these days would try to use it for riding round town. Hence my recommendation to use it as a dip beam warning light when one of these wasn't provided originally.

The other way Ducati used to show the working of the parking light was a simple lens - no bulb - fitted in the headlamp shell directly above the parking light bulb. A little bit of light just about filters thru ...

HTH

Craig

·
Registered
387 Posts
A little more on the red idiot light. While the Monza parts book doesn't acknowledge its existence ;), and the owner's handbook likewise says nothing ...

I found the attachment below in the handbook for the "200cc Super Sports Motorcycles" (aka 'Elite').

And this use of a red light as a charge light is confirmed in the factory workshop manual:
a) In the same words on page 41;
b) On page 38 (I quote): "e) charge red warning light 6v-1.5w".

And again in the owner's handbook for the 125 Sport: red idiot light = charge light.

But all these are battery/coil ignition machines with regulator/rectifiers. And what I don't know is how you can wire one in on a bike which doesn't use a regulator. Maybe that's why the 160 Monza Junior parts book etc doesn't show/mention one? Dunno.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ha! You've got me going now. Bet you wish you'd never asked ... :D

By the time the 250/350 w/case was on the scene, Ducati were doing this:

Red - main beam (Ah ha! Same as my alternative suggestion for your Monza's!)
White - key in ignition. (Note: NOT a charge light)
Green, but only via a lens - parking lights. Ducati has now abandoned the idea that you can use these for riding around town ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm working on my first Ducati single, a 66 Monza Jr 160. I've been re-wiring it due to bad wiring from previous owners. I think I've got it all worked out but I have a question regarding the parking light. Mine is a festoon bulb mounted on the headlight bulb adapter. So what is this supposed to light up? The only thing I see that could possibly let light out is the clear lens on the side of the speedo instrument. There is no other lens or Is that it's purpose? I don't see anything else the bulb could possibly light up. Am I missing something on the bike or am I just missing the whole concept? ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts