Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would bounce this of the forum members. I'm thinking of picking up a gen 3 Multistrada. Just finishing up 16k miles on my 1098SF and am ready for a new bike. I test rode a newer BMW GS1200 but zero balls so im back to the awesome L-twins. So ive got a 16 pikes peak available and and a 17S model to choose from. My riding for the last 5 years has been like this. Commute in LA 3 days week, 1 weekend of canyons a month and 1 1K mile trip to laguna seca a year. I absolute love the pikes peak racing colors and have never had Ohlins suspension and i think i could live with it. The S model has electronic suspension but realistically i wont be riding 2 up until my son gets older. I've sat on the S model and it fits very well, but the dealer pikes peak models seat seemed higher. I believe the seats are adjustable right?

So any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I never ride 2-up, but I do change the riding mode on my 1200S quite frequently. I use the "Urban" mode to soften suspension for really rough roads, "Sport" mode to stiffen things up when the pavement is decent and "Touring" for everything else. All three modes are noticeably different and completely customizable. Having three awesome suspension setups available at the tap of a button is what really sold me on the Multistrada over the BMW S1000XR. I love Ohlins suspension and I'm sure the Pikes Peak model is great, but for a multi-purpose bike like the Multistada I'm not sure I'd want to be limited to a single suspension configuration...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^^^

Interesting, so i could almost get 14' pikes with electronic suspension, but no cruise control and be in good shape. for my daily riding needs. The price difference between the 16' and 14' is substantial.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1200 S for me

I debated this for a week last year and also posted here. A 15 PP or 16 1200S. After much consideration I opted for the 1200 S for the following reasons, 3k cheaper and skyhook suspension.

After spending a lot of time at the dealer the owner boiled down the difference of the suspension for me.

Ohlins better for racing where you want predictability and consistency and skyhook for versatility.

IMHO The newer DVT, Pikes Peak went backwards on the quality of the wheels, (non forged) and the exhaust can without the pipes does not provide anything but better sound, the carbon is nice but not significant to me. All that being said I thought the PP was one of the most visually stunning bikes I have seen.

The 1200S is a real delight, only downsides to me are the loud wind screen and the seat. I wish Ducati would spend more energy on the facets that interface directly with the rider, a sore ass and thundering wind noise detract from the experience.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My initial complaint of my bike was the seat on my test ride. Even changed the height for a bit and then added spacers back. But that was around town and short trips. Now that I have 9,500 miles on the bike and a recent 2,300 mile ride with the first day of 9 hours (SB to Mt. Shasta) I have no complaints. Under way and suspension loaded the ergos are perfect for me. I find I can shift back in the saddle a bit too. No saddle sores or reason to switch IMO. The screen took me a few rides to really hate. This trip was with the PP screen as a trip last year. I find the protection fine and suitable. I duck for trucks, otherwise stable at speed and keeps the wind off my chest. As far as the modes and S-Suspension.... I mostly just leave in touring and as far as suspension, the base bike suits me fine. I never have the time to be switching modes. If I head down a dirt access road, I'm not changing a thing. Same for sport vs touring if both are full power. Extended periods yes. I'd engage enduro for a long slog. I might opt for the Ohlins though the price hike may for the PP might be a bit much for the other bits. I could put Ohlins cartridges in my forks I was inclined. Granted only the S and PP exist now. I tend to set up as I want and leave it.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^^^^^

Interesting, so i could almost get 14' pikes with electronic suspension, but no cruise control and be in good shape. for my daily riding needs. The price difference between the 16' and 14' is substantial.
If you're going to do any riding on open highways, don't discount the benefit of cruise control. The newer bike also buys you a fantastic LED headlight (it's better than any conventional light I've used) as well as a much better dash and improved switchgear (makes it super easy to change riding modes, suspension config, etc). Of course you also get all the latest electronic rider aides, including wheelie control and cornering ABS on the newer bikes.

And then there's the motor. I haven't ridden a 13-14 but a friend bought a 2010 Multistrada 1200 shortly after I bought my 2016 DVT 1200S. Some people think the older bikes feel "raw" or "powerful". To me, the 2010 bike feels like a piece of farm equipment below 4000rpm or so: it shakes and shudders and does everything except fuel smoothly. The 13-14 bikes are supposed to be somewhat more smooth, but I doubt they're a match for the refinement of the DVT motor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^^^^^^

You can add Cruise Control with Tuneboy. The cruise control is amazing.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you're going to do any riding on open highways, don't discount the benefit of cruise control. The newer bike also buys you a fantastic LED headlight (it's better than any conventional light I've used) as well as a much better dash and improved switchgear (makes it super easy to change riding modes, suspension config, etc). Of course you also get all the latest electronic rider aides, including wheelie control and cornering ABS on the newer bikes.

And then there's the motor. I haven't ridden a 13-14 but a friend bought a 2010 Multistrada 1200 shortly after I bought my 2016 DVT 1200S. Some people think the older bikes feel "raw" or "powerful". To me, the 2010 bike feels like a piece of farm equipment below 4000rpm or so: it shakes and shudders and does everything except fuel smoothly. The 13-14 bikes are supposed to be somewhat more smooth, but I doubt they're a match for the refinement of the DVT motor.

True, but after a Rexxer remap its al taken care of and the 2010-2014 are more powerful in the midrange. DVT has a serious midrange problem between 4-6k.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
I debated this for a week last year and also posted here. A 15 PP or 16 1200S. After much consideration I opted for the 1200 S for the following reasons, 3k cheaper and skyhook suspension.

After spending a lot of time at the dealer the owner boiled down the difference of the suspension for me.

Ohlins better for racing where you want predictability and consistency and skyhook for versatility.

IMHO The newer DVT, Pikes Peak went backwards on the quality of the wheels, (non forged) and the exhaust can without the pipes does not provide anything but better sound, the carbon is nice but not significant to me. All that being said I thought the PP was one of the most visually stunning bikes I have seen.

The 1200S is a real delight, only downsides to me are the loud wind screen and the seat. I wish Ducati would spend more energy on the facets that interface directly with the rider, a sore ass and thundering wind noise detract from the experience.

Couldn't agree with you more. The seat and the heat are terrible on long trips. Also the windscreen is terrible, I've replaced it for a PP screen. But any shorter screen will do. Still it got me ringing ear noise. And I always ride with earplugs! Thanks Ducati ...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hey Chief!
Picked up a 16 PP few weeks ago just bc the ohlins and scheme, along with led and cruise control.
The only gripe is that the exhaust is not loud enough otherwise set on sport and that's where it stays, I hate the ride by wire, too snatchy, brakes are 1 finger only and the power is fantastic.
Go for the pikes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Put
Hushmat under the seat to stop the heat and make spacers to move the windshield 1 1/2 inch forward to stop the wind noise and buffeting. You'll be shocked what these 2 simple mods do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts