Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I just noticed a couple scratches on the top of the tank on my 16 hyper sp.
Anyone else having this sort of issue?
Should I get a tank protector? I don't really like the look of them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You're going to get minor smudges, scrapes, scratches on the plastics. It's inevitable, even if you only use a microfiber cloth and a product such as PLEXUS to clean the bike as I do.

If you don't like tank covers then don't get one. Even if you do, it won't protect the fairings. They are going to get scratched.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I was in the same situation and picked up a Ducati performance tank protector on eBay for $35. It looks better than I expected. They also make a clear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd be more worried about being judged for keeping the front reflectors on as well as the frame stickers
:yeah:

@DJKham wrote a nice review on the hyper here and in there he linked a little tutorial on how to create your own invisible protectors here. His example is for the sides but I'm sure you can do the same sort of thing with the top of the tank.

Hope this is useful
Very useful, and great, very detailed step-by-step directions at this blog!

·
Registered
142 Posts
On a sportsbike its easy to see how the zipper of a jacket can scratch the front of a tank so a protector does its job, however on a Hyper the tank itself is for the most part flat & unless you are actually sitting on the tank I cant say Ive ever seen one thats been scratched. I dont see the point in putting one on but am happy for someone to explain how it gets damaged.
The closest I get to my tank is when im popping wheelies but even then im not touching it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also, improper cleaning will contribute to scratches/swirls/micromarring, etc. spraying on Honda polish and wiping it off will cause micromarring and possibly worse depending on the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine is getting micro scratched from my leathers. I have the race seat so I can move around on the bike. So maybe that's contributing to it getting scratches.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah....no matter what you do, those tiny micros are gonna happen. I think that it's somewhat silly to worry over it and I'm pretty damn OCD about my stuff, LOL everything!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah....no matter what you do, those tiny micros are gonna happen. I think that it's somewhat silly to worry over it and I'm pretty damn OCD about my stuff, LOL everything!
If the micro scratches bother you, you can easily buff them out with a compound like Meguiar's Scratch-X or Plast-X, then throw a coating of wax on there and hand-buff to a shine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts