Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have Arai RX-Q helmet and the MTS S Touring bike with the stock adjustable shield on the bike. The other day I happened to stand up at 65MPH to stretch my old knees and I had no idea how much wind noise I had been putting up with. When I stood up it got almost completely quiet.

I started adjusting the screen through it's entire range and nothing short of leaning low and forward got me out of the disturbance. I am 5'9" and my custom seat is one inch higher than the stock.

On the seat I went through all kinds of cost and hassle and have ended up just putting up with the new seat as it is better than stock, but not as good as my seat concepts on the 1200gs. I was hoping to avoid trial and error on screens and get some advice here.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the larger smoked screen (Ducati accessory) and have the same problem. Standard seat, and I'm an inch or two taller than you. I find that over about 70km/h I need to have the screen adjusted to the full height to reduce the noise. My Shoei ADV helmet has a peak which I suspect does not help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
A word of warning: everyone has advice, but in my experience none of it works. I've tried 1 or 2 alternatives that people raved about and found there wasn't much difference from the stock screen. Best advice I've heard, but not tried yet, is to remove the stock screen and replace it with a "shorty" like the one on the Pikes Peak bikes...

Edit: BTW, I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Sleeve length is 32" or 33".

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
A word of warning: everyone has advice, but in my experience none of it works. I've tried 1 or 2 alternatives that people raved about and found there wasn't much difference from the stock screen. Best advice I've heard, but not tried yet, is to remove the stock screen and replace it with a "shorty" like the one on the Pikes Peak bikes...
Agreed. Have been thru this many times on the MTS 2010-2016.

I currntly own a '16 Pikes Peak. I'm 5'10, 30" inseam, 34" sleeve, and have a variety of helmets.

The short Pikes Peak screen is most definitely the best when it comes to reducing wind noise and buffeting, but lacks in providing protection.

The larger oem screen stinks, but does offer a bit more protection.

The much larger GT TOURING screen is better, offers lots of protection, but still not great in the buffeting/noise department.

The ERMAX screen (thanks @bwhip) which is slightly taller than larger oem/slightly less tall than the touring version but wider and differently designed betters both the larger oem and touring screens but still not as quiet as the Pikes screen.

Give and take in each. ;)

Reactions: bwhip and alliskr

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went straight to this option and have been very happy. In part because it's always warm enough down here that I want the extra airflow in the my jacket and helmet. Don't really need to be protected in the same way as I might have when I lived up north.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I too just run the Pikes Peak screen. After trying the Touratech and it not sorting the noise I said enough. I also noted the Enduro Pro will just be coming with the PP screen. My Corsair X vents and chin vent did not appreciate the air flow from the stock screen or the TT. Both of those screens caused the air flow to hit the helmet vents at angles that would cause crazy constant noise. The stock screen caused enough buffeting to rattle the closed chin vent on the helmet. Riding my naked Sport the helmet was silent, so life is good with the PP screen.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I guess it's three for three in S.B.:grin2: I too use the PP shorty and like it. When touring I go back to stock only to provide better bug and rain protection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also have a short screen and wear an Arai RX-Q. I'm 5'9, 30" inseam and find the wind hitting my head to be smooth. I want to get a PP windscreen but that thing is $$$.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
If you are primarily concerned with wind 'noise' more so than turbulence or buffeting, try changing the angle of attack of the windscreen so it's more vertical. I have Aztec spacers on my '12, which for me resolved that constant wind 'roar' that is endemic to all of the w/c multis. I still use the stock screen, which is not perfect, but at least the bike is no noisier than any other faired bike I've owned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've gone through 4 different helmets test, 3 screens, and now trying an MRA x-screen, and none if it helps with the buffeting, except a shortie. I'm 6'2" and having ringing ears, despite using earplugs. Just for yucks, take off your windscreen altogether and take a spin. It is a wonderfully quiet ride. As a result I took a Puig screen and cut it right down as far as I could. No more buffering but a little wind noise in the chin vent of my GT-air helme.t

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree. I used to get lots of wind roar, so changed to the carbon pikes peak. Now it's fine. I don't even use ear plugs unless it's an all day journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the dreaded wind roar and buffeting and hated it. I probably read threads on here and some other sites for at months to try to decide what direction to go to solve it since my 16' Pikes Peak came with a standard screen and not the carbon. I ended up going with the Palmer Screen Adapter as a first step and it was the solution 100% for me.

I am 5'10" and with the adapter, all I hear is just pure wind noise, but if I lean forward just a little bit, I get right in that sweet pocket of virtual silence. I pretty much leave the screen in the lowest setting all the time now as raising it does not seem to do much for me anymore which I believe is due to the taper of the sides of the screen and how that affects the wind at the new angle with the adapter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Currently Running No Screen

I'm 6'8" tall and the buffeting of the stock screen was bad in the low position and much worse in the upper position.

I am currently running no screen, at all and I am liking it. I plan on getting a short screen like the PP or MRA sport when I get around to it. I don't mind the wind pressure on me since it I need the cooling 7 months out of the year here in Texas. The wind pressure is good for maintain those ab muscles as well. :grin2:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
California Scientific Screen

I was all set to splurge on the PP Carbon screen and ran across California Scientific. I spoke with the owner Mike and he was very nice - he assured me the shorty screen would solve the noise problems so I ordered - it will be simple to test, all I have to do is stand up at 60.

I hated spending 450 on the carbon one - so I hope this works.

I will submit my observations here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was all set to splurge on the PP Carbon screen and ran across California Scientific. I spoke with the owner Mike and he was very nice - he assured me the shorty screen would solve the noise problems so I ordered - it will be simple to test, all I have to do is stand up at 60.

$369 here... https://www.pure-ducati.com/p-6180-ducati-carbon-headlight-fairing-96980711a.aspx

·
Registered
288 Posts

If you are interested I would sell my carbon n screen as I am looking at other options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts

I like mine. Full wind in the face but I have a quiet helmet and no more buffet noise.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
If you are interested I would sell my carbon n screen as I am looking at other options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If therapyrider doesn't want it then let me know... I've been thinking about trying a lower screen for non-touring use (~2/3 of the bikes mileage).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts