Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the location of the APS is on a 2016 1200S? I checked the shop manual and oddly, this section is missing the picture that the instructions point to for reference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is the same as the shop manual PDF I have. There should be a photo pointing to "(APS) (1)," but there is not.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's the housing that the throttle tube fits into on the handlebar. Sits between the grip and the switchgear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the housing that the throttle tube fits into on the handlebar. Sits between the grip and the switchgear.
Thanks. I was hoping I could get a voltage read-out of each wire inside the housing, but of course not as that would be too convenient. So, since it plugs in behind the damn fuel tank, I have to take everything apart to get to it. Typical automotive engineering; "We'll just throw shit wherever it fits, fuck all about working on it!"

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping I could get a voltage read-out of each wire inside the housing, but of course not as that would be too convenient. So, since it plugs in behind the damn fuel tank, I have to take everything apart to get to it. Typical automotive engineering; "We'll just throw shit wherever it fits, fuck all about working on it!"
I think it's one of the 3 side by side connectors... you can probably get to it by just lifting the tank a bit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The manual I have shows the connector being accessible with only the black trim pieces removed (center piece around the switch and the piece that has "Ducati" on it). The connector is in behind the right fork.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual I have shows the connector being accessible with only the black trim pieces removed (center piece around the switch and the piece that has "Ducati" on it). The connector is in behind the right fork.
That manual is on crack then with accessing it with just the black trim removed lol. If you are sitting on the bike, look down the hole directly to the right of the ignition switch. You will see a cluster of connectors with a rubber isolation piece holding them and clipped on to the upper bar of the chassis. Believe me, I tried, but the way it is clipped on makes it nigh impossible to pull off and there is almost no space to get your fingers or tools in there to actually undo the the clip holding the APS-to-ECU connectors together. Maybe someone with more patience could do it without removing the fuel tank, but I was not going to fidget with it and I have girly hands!

Side-note, the connector (at least the female side to the ECU) is a Sumitomo. I tried running all the numbers I could find off the male side (female side has nothing, so probably stamped on the weather piece inside the connector) and I could only find it on Bmotorsport.com. I never knew about that site until now and man I wish I knew about it years ago!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That manual is on crack then with accessing it with just the black trim removed lol. If you are sitting on the bike, look down the hole directly to the right of the ignition switch. You will see a cluster of connectors with a rubber isolation piece holding them and clipped on to the upper bar of the chassis. Believe me, I tried, but the way it is clipped on makes it nigh impossible to pull off and there is almost no space to get your fingers or tools in there to actually undo the the clip holding the APS-to-ECU connectors together. Maybe someone with more patience could do it without removing the fuel tank, but I was not going to fidget with it and I have girly hands!

Side-note, the connector (at least the female side to the ECU) is a Sumitomo. I tried running all the numbers I could find off the male side (female side has nothing, so probably stamped on the weather piece inside the connector) and I could only find it on Bmotorsport.com. I never knew about that site until now and man I wish I knew about it years ago!
:laugh: Okay, fair enough.

I buy all of my sealed connectors from Easter Beaver (link). I haven't come across Ballenger before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts