Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So… just wondering what everyone is shelling out for the 15k service on their 1200 Multi's? I got a quote for $1,150.oo before tax which includes the valve adjustment. Seems a bit steep to me. I also don't really trust the mech as I was told that I needed a new chain at 14k. After getting my springs upgraded he didn't adjust the chain for the 5mm difference. I confronted him about it and without looking he told me I needed a new chain. He begrudgingly adjusts it and it has never been as tight as this. It was always sagging and out of spec w/measurement. I think he has a problem with his ego because I wasn't informed that I needed a new chain when he put the shock on and I picked it up from him. Don't think he likes to be called out and my mistrust is ruining my Ducati experience.

So… 15k pricing, are you all getting new chains at this service and are all you guys needing your valves adjusted?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
750 Posts
The cost of the 15k service is totally dependent on what needs to be done. New chain? Only if it needs it. Adjust valves? Only if they're out of spec. My dealer told me the price ranges from a low of about $800 to a high of about $1200. The quote your guy is giving you is basically the high end, but is he saying that's the "max", or just "here's your price, take it or leave it"? If it's the former, I think he's in the ball park. If it's the latter, he's being a tool so I'd suggest you find another shop.

-SM

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A major service is a major service, you should expect the bill to be around $1000+, depending how much more they need to do above and beyond checks and adjustments. At most shops, the service rate is around $100/hr and you can expect a major service to be 8-10 hours plus any other work you're having done at the same time. For scheduled factory service, you can expect to start with a minimum book rate.

fwiw, I had my chain done at 15K as it was starting to stretch and I was about to go on a 4000 mile trip. I might have been able to get a couple 1000 more out of it but I prefer to be preventative than stretch every miles out of expendable components. I also had my fork oil replaced at this service as well as all the fluids flushed so the total bill was several $100 more than the base rate.

the good news is major service on our multi's is every 15,000 miles vs every 6000 on the older generation ducati's, so this big hit on your wallet happens less often.

The cost of a major service should not be a surprise, it is what it is.

Also, living in the greater Seattle area, you have two really good dealers available. Forming a strong negative opinion of one so quickly based on one event could be the result of one of them just having a bad day. I've had good and bad experiences at both dealers and only after letting the shops know (at different times) what my frustrations were with each experience did things get better. I would suggest you have a constructive conversation with your shop manager and see if you can smooth things out. It will work to your advantage if you choose to keep your bike for many years to come. Walking in the door assuming you're going to get screwed will leave you looking for things to be pissed off about.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I got 2 quotes for a 15K service 1 from our local dealer $900-1000 & 1 from an independent shop $800-900. I've had the independent shop do some work before so am familiar with them. On the good side a 7K service is only $150-200.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A major service is a major service, you should expect the bill to be around $1000+, depending how much more they need to do above and beyond checks and adjustments. At most shops, the service rate is around $100/hr and you can expect a major service to be 8-10 hours plus any other work you're having done at the same time. For scheduled factory service, you can expect to start with a minimum book rate.

fwiw, I had my chain done at 15K as it was starting to stretch and I was about to go on a 4000 mile trip. I might have been able to get a couple 1000 more out of it but I prefer to be preventative than stretch every miles out of expendable components. I also had my fork oil replaced at this service as well as all the fluids flushed so the total bill was several $100 more than the base rate.

the good news is major service on our multi's is every 15,000 miles vs every 6000 on the older generation ducati's, so this big hit on your wallet happens less often.

The cost of a major service should not be a surprise, it is what it is.

Also, living in the greater Seattle area, you have two really good dealers available. Forming a strong negative opinion of one so quickly based on one event could be the result of one of them just having a bad day. I've had good and bad experiences at both dealers and only after letting the shops know (at different times) what my frustrations were with each experience did things get better. I would suggest you have a constructive conversation with your shop manager and see if you can smooth things out. It will work to your advantage if you choose to keep your bike for many years to come. Walking in the door assuming you're going to get screwed will leave you looking for things to be pissed off about.
I agree on the amount and all. I love everything about the shop in Seattle. Convenience, all the people and the new owner and all. My only negative was that one incident. Actually left me kind of freaked out in that the chain was laying across the muffler unless in use. I even really like this individual but truly value honesty and connection above $$$$. After all he did fix it and they have been exceptional. I really want to keep my business there as well but what else will he not own up to. Makes honesty questionable. Hate having to call people out. Hate it hate it hate it and generally never hesitate as I have to deal with this all the time in my work. On both sides.

Chain, meh.…… it's just now I feel like I have to and should. If something happened I'd be hearing him in the background.

Guess this is just going to be an annual thing I guess.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
24 Posts
1st off how many miles have you actually done as the new belts, air filter, fork oil, plugs & valve check/adjust are all mileage specific. I was in my Dealer last weekend here in the UK & booked mine in for it's 2 year service. As I've only done 6K so far they advised I only needed an oil & filter plus usual checks as per 12 Months/6,000 mile service which is about £200. Have a look at the owners manual.

If you have done 15,000 miles & need all the above then in the UK it would cost about £600-£700 depending on if the vales need adjusting.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1150? That's nothing. The 12k major service on my old S4RS set me back 1800.

I can't wait to see what it will be on my SP ...:eek:

(of course, anyone buying Ducati has to accept that servicing will be expensive. Too few skilled mechanics and limited options for replacement parts make us all a 'captive audience', as well as a relatively small group of fellow-travelers. The few, the proud, the - hopefully - highly paid. :))

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I love everything about the shop in Seattle. My only negative was that one incident. Actually left me kind of freaked out in that the.... chain was laying across the muffler unless in use.
Anthony

For the life of me no matter how many times I reread this post: I cannot figure out what you mean by..... "the chain was laying across the muffler unless in use".

I'm totally embarrassed admitting that I have not the wildest clue as to what this means.

Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
The chain accross the muffler thing.

Yup I recognise that.

One week after adjusting the chain broke on me at 120mph.

It's time for a new chain, it's stretched too far.

Bugs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I called my local dealer just a few days ago about a quote for the 15k service.
$1000 for full service and $800 if I do all the fluids.
After hearing this I searched the web and ordered this service manual and will do it myself. Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance Guide
The shim kit alone will cost you $300, unless you already have Ducs in the shed and then you should be covered. I've never done Desmo valves so DIY isn't even an option for me. :eek:

-SM

·
Registered
400 Posts
The shim kit alone will cost you $300, unless you already have Ducs in the shed and then you should be covered. I've never done Desmo valves so DIY isn't even an option for me. :eek:

-SM
I saw they sell a shim kit for $300 but do I need a whole kit?
If it's like my aprilia you just figure out what size you need and buy just 1 for each valve that needs adjusting, it was like $5 a shim.
I'm still doing my homework and might end up having to bite the bullet and pay to have it done. But I'm determined to do it myself like I have on every other bike i have owned.
Valve Clearance Adjustment

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it's like my aprilia you just figure out what size you need and buy just 1 for each valve that needs adjusting, it was like $5 a shim.
I'm still doing my homework and might end up having to bite the bullet and pay to have it done. But I'm determined to do it myself like I have on every other bike i have owned.
Let us know how that book is. I have the downloaded Ducati manual, and it's OK but for a big job like this, I would like to have a better manual. I'm nearing 12k miles....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great post on the Aprilia forum.........looking forward to your MTS12 version :D
Thanks!

Let us know how that book is. I have the downloaded Ducati manual, and it's OK but for a big job like this, I would like to have a better manual. I'm nearing 12k miles....
I should get the book tomorrow and will let you know, I also have the ducati manual but I would like more detail, hopefully the book provides that.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I am not completely trusting of every mechanic working in a shop....My father owned one, so I have worked in shops for years...Not every single person in a dealership or private shop is as good as they should be:eek:. Because of this distrust and the fact I have the ability, I will do my own valves. Yes, a kit is about $300, or $8 per shim...According to the local Ducati mechanic the MTS normally does not need much in the way of adjustment at the first service. However, one thing to keep in mind when deciding to do this your self...The &#@%$ belt tension!:mad: Adjusted by harmonics???? REALLY??? I understand all the reasons for it, but really, how much less user friendly could that be? I have found some information on using some programs and your laptop and a boom mic to adjust your belts. I will finish my research and eventually get around to doing mine. I plan to try and take some good notes and photos for the forum...(very little DIY info for belts and valves on a MTS1200). I guess the point of my minor rant...if your thinking doing the valves yourself, do not forget how your going to tension the belts. BTW Cyprus is rocking today. :cool:

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Seeing as how most Multi owners are dependent on the dealer, you may want to venture into the Hall of Wisdom, the SBK forum which uses the same testa motor for all intents, or the ST forum where we rack up a lot of miles and are fookin' cheapskates although our desmo heads are bit different.

If you want your bike to run it's best, you want the full shim kit. No matter how well you measure, you'll find that just pulling and replacing the half rings will cause the clearance to change. I sometimes swap a shim a couple times to get to the exact clearances recommended by desmotimes. No shop will do that for you and you'll appreciate the effort when your done. Having the full kit is a no brainer, even though I only have one bike.

On the older twins, the valve clearances changed the most early in the life of the bike. I'm finally finding the valves settling in at over 50,000mi. If I owned a Multi, I would have checked the clearances earlier, but desmotimes believes that the metallurgy is better as well as the factory being better at setting the tolerances.

The desmotimes manual covers the Multi1200 as LT bought a PP while writing it.

As for setting the belts, the harmonic method couldn't be easier. It literally takes 5min and is the method Duc uses. I was happy with my guitar tuner app (Enable Tuner), but this is better:
Ducati diagnostic software for iaw5 ECU

The fact is, you'll pay about $1,000 to get all the tools and supplies you need for a full service. You'll have a bike that runs better than when you got it. Come the next service, you'll lay out a few bucks for belts, replacement shims, and not much else.

Also, in many areas folks will get together with a few desmos and do the service together.

Have a good one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts