Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just picked up a '13 Pikes Peak. It's about due for the 15k service. I've worked on lots of bikes and doing the desmo service doesn't scare me in the slightest. Honestly, the valve adjustment on this looks like it would be easier than on a Vmax.

My question is: Is it worth the hassle? I live within an hour's ride of 4 Ducati dealers. I added up the cost of parts and a shim kit for the 15k and came to over 700 bucks before fluid. Seems like the 15k costs around $1200 with more for shims needing to be swapped.

Am I missing something here? It seems like it makes more sense to let a dealership do it, which I can't recall ever saying in the past.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s going to come down to how you value your time and how much confidence you have in any of the dealers. Not all service techs and shops are created equal ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're confident in doing it then I say go for it. I had dealer do mine. I'm not confident in doing desmo valve adjustments since I've never seen it done now had anything open on it. Bike was in for other service that had it half your apart anyway so they just did it early.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
If your going to keep the bike long term or pack on the miles...diy is the better option...the second service cost goes down significantly

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Buying a shim kit is like buying a tool, could be sold later.

And you may skip the shim kit, first service they are in specs 95% of time. And if you need a few shims, one of your 4 dealers could surely swap them for minimal cost.

So I see 180$ for belts, 40$ for 4 spark plugs, and that's about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder what they would charge for just the valves. Im getting close to my 15k and was thinking i could do almost all the services but the valves. Thinking about taking the body work off, doing the plugs then trailering it in and just having them check the valves. cant be too many hours and for sure alot less than $1500.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So I see 180$ for belts, 40$ for 4 spark plugs, and that's about it.
I'd add ~$60 for oil, filter and washer, plus ~$100 for the OEM air filter.

To reset the service light, you'll need ~$35 in cables/dongles, plus a laptop and (free) JPDiag software.

Dealer would also be able to check for software updates and verify recalls, but that's likely been handled by this point.

·
Registered
2013 Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

To reset the service light, you'll need ~$35 in cables/dongles, plus a laptop and (free) JPDiag software.

Dealer would also be able to check for software updates and verify recalls, but that's likely been handled by this point.
There is actually an active recall on the throttle cable.

·
Registered
658 Posts

At least he can reset the service light, that's likely my biggest complaint about my 2016... having to pay the dealer to either change my oil or reset the service light.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I wonder what they would charge for just the valves. Im getting close to my 15k and was thinking i could do almost all the services but the valves. Thinking about taking the body work off, doing the plugs then trailering it in and just having them check the valves. cant be too many hours and for sure alot less than $1500.
I am sure any dealer would do just about anything you want--If you came to my shop and said all I want you to do is adjust my valve's--I'll do it no problem & charge you whatever the flat rate is for that operation.---But dont ask me to reset your service light --because I didnt do the service----and dont get ticked off when I do absolutely nothing else.--and dont come back to me if the engine blows up because you didnt put enough--or too much oil in it. ---

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think the dealer near me charged $30 to reset the light and update software while they were at it.
This was after the Indy shop changed the oil and whatever, and said, see the dealer for the above. Grrr.
I'll just visit the dealer from now on.

For me the do you have more money or more time calculation is skewed because I don't know how to do much beyond the simplest stuff. Levers. sliders, fly screen, luggage rack. I don't mind getting dirty and breaking out the tools, but I don't want to F*** things up trying to push that envelope. I have broken stuff before. So, I pay. Maybe work harder at the job I know how to do.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I understand this is crazy but it happened to me --This guy comes in and ask me to do an oil change on his 1999 BMW R1100RS---So I do drain -R&R oil filter replace crush ring and fill with oil. --he rides out happy as a clam. --4 days later I get a phone call from this guy saying that he has a flat rear tyre--there is a nail in it. I tell him bring it in & I'll sell him a new tyre & mount & balance it------He wants me to Install a new tyre and charge him nothing because he was in my shop 4 days before and there was not a nail in his tyre when he came in---I said there was no nail in your tyre when you left--sorry charlie --Not my problem--I'll be happy to fix the issue but you are going to pay to have it replaced.-----WTF do these idiots think shops are going to put a nail in their tyres ---You cant fix stupid

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I think the dealer near me charged $30 to reset the light and update software while they were at it.
This was after the Indy shop changed the oil and whatever, and said, see the dealer for the above. Grrr.
I'll just visit the dealer from now on.

For me the do you have more money or more time calculation is skewed because I don't know how to do much beyond the simplest stuff. Levers. sliders, fly screen, luggage rack. I don't mind getting dirty and breaking out the tools, but I don't want to F*** things up trying to push that envelope. I have broken stuff before. So, I pay. Maybe work harder at the job I know how to do.
I'm all for people doing things to their bikes--IF they know what they are doing, If they have to tools to do the job correctly, & if they have all of the spec's they need to do it correctly. --But for me as an example--lets say you do your service--(I dont know if you are capable of doing it correctly) & you come to me to turn your service light off--Not a chance in hell that I will do this--for me where I live too much liability involved. -I cannot reset service lights if I dont do the full service --again it's a state liability issue for me. -I am sure some shops and or dealers in other area's would be happy to do this --But I cant

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm all for people doing things to their bikes--IF they know what they are doing, If they have to tools to do the job correctly, & if they have all of the spec's they need to do it correctly. --But for me as an example--lets say you do your service--(I dont know if you are capable of doing it correctly) & you come to me to turn your service light off--Not a chance in hell that I will do this--for me where I live too much liability involved. -I cannot reset service lights if I dont do the full service --again it's a state liability issue for me. -I am sure some shops and or dealers in other area's would be happy to do this --But I cant
that makes total sense. Ive always been pretty good at working on my race bikes and doing some services like suspension, but i shy away from opening up the engine stuff too much. thats why i was curious if shops would hate you from bringing in a bike already taken mostly apart and just need a few of the more technical services done.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I cannot reset service lights if I dont do the full service --again it's a state liability issue for me. -I am sure some shops and or dealers in other area's would be happy to do this --But I cant
What if all they do is change their own oil? Still no to resetting the oil service light?
Laws differ from here to there, and it's your call. Just wondering.
I'll go to the dealer who has the right tools, digital and otherwise.
But I sympathize with the folks who want to diy as much as they can.
Too bad Ducati won't let Indy shops have certain things. imho. Short story long. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We all hate jigsaw puzzles, they can drive some tech's absolutely bat shit crazy---but just as an example lets say a valve adjustment --you strip the bike down take everything off --bring it in for the valve adjustment ---I do that--I am handing it back to you the way you brought it to me--putting everything back together is your problem --I hope you remember how it went together--------Now you want me to sort out the puzzle you created--It will cost you more then if you brought it in together for me to do the same job

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What if all they do is change their own oil? Still no to resetting the oil service light?
Laws differ from here to there, and it's your call. Just wondering.
I'll go to the dealer who has the right tools, digital and otherwise.
But I sympathize with the folks who want to diy as much as they can.
Too bad Ducati won't let Indy shops have certain things. imho. Short story long. :rolleyes:
I'm in Florida, & we have some really stupid liability laws here---example-If you purchase tyres online for a hell of a deal--I will not mount those tyres period---because here if I install a customer supplied part -I assume any & all liability for that part----that tyre fails because it was defective from the factory does not matter--I installed it--It's my ass on the line & in court. --again different states and regions have different laws that regulate them.--------Now here in the U.S.look at the
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act . This states that a Mfg. cannot void your warranty if you or an independent shop does your service as long as you or they are knowledgeable & use approved parts ---This protects you and this is a Federal law in the U.S. ---So if a dealer ever tells you that --If a dealer does not do your service it will void your warranty----Call a lawyer and sue their ass--they are in violation of U.S. Federal law.---- I am primarily a BMW Independent shop--I have run into this issue locally--I had a BMW dealer telling customers that if I did their service while the bike was still under warranty that their warranty would be void--( I am a BMW Master Certified Tech) --I have a customer who is also a good friend & a lawyer who was told this by the dealer------He drafted a letter to them stating that they were in violation of Federal law & if they did not cease telling customers this then he would bring a suit against them. ----The dealer stopped telling customers this real quick. ---Know the laws--it protects us all

Reactions: gregcon57
1 - 20 of 45 Posts