Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i just completed my break in period at 1550, what im wondering is, would you reccomend changing the oil as i did at 600miles?
the book says the next oil change isnt for a looooong time but, i thought maybe i should do it anyway. let me know your thoughts. thanks

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
There is no absolute definitive correct answer. If you feel better about your bike by changing your oil now, then by all means do it. It's cheap and easy. It's apparently on your mind and if you don't change it, it may eat at you. So just change it :) Fresh oil is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not unless you used the same stuff you pour in your lawn mower. If you used a good synthetic you should be good for several thousand more miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got it. thanks guys.
i used high end synthetic which should be good as you said cesare57, for several thounsand miles more. i may just wait a bit longer, the oil still looks fairly new in there. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
got it. thanks guys.
i used high end synthetic which should be good as you said cesare57, for several thounsand miles more. i may just wait a bit longer, the oil still looks fairly new in there. thanks guys.
Only thing to consider is if you checked/cleaned the pre-filter screen when you changed it the first time. Our Ducs sometimes have machining bits left over inside the cases from the factory...which usually get caught by the pre filter screen. If you did check it/cleaned it the first time then you're GTG. If not, wouldn't hurt to change the oil again and clean the screen for piece of mind.

BTW, I thought your mileage was a typo:)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
132 Posts
An oil change at 600 and then at 7500 miles as the book points out is insane to me. The oil going in should look similar to the oil coming out, in my opinion. With that said I change with Mobil 1 moto oil around 2800-3500 miles, I'm at 18700 now and my GT runs great:)

I keep a close eye on the oil window but wouldn't go over 3500 miles regardless

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome advice guys, very much appreciated!
il probably be doing regular oil changes every 2500 miles, so i think im good to go for a bit longer.

Tmnstr, nope not a typo, i purchased it basically new for a very caring owner, he had it in a climate cotrolled shop and everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts